• The KillerFrogs

Eye black messages, wedge blocks out

IamFroglash88

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5092774

But it's the taunting rule that likely will create the biggest buzz.

Currently, players who are penalized for taunting on their way to the end zone draw a 15-yard penalty on the extra point attempt, 2-point conversion attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
They had the head of te NCAA Officials on ESPN and all kinds of things will be considered taunting. If you just hold the ball over the goal line, if you dive over the goal line, etc. They showed of clip of a guy that looked pretty innocent looking back over his shoulder to see if he wa being caught and held the ball out in fron t cross the goal line and the guy said that was tauntin even though he didn't say or give the impression he was trying to be "in your face". Sounds pretty strict.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Hoosierfrog @ Apr 16 2010, 06:59 AM) [snapback]545371[/snapback]
They had the head of te NCAA Officials on ESPN and all kinds of things will be considered taunting. If you just hold the ball over the goal line, if you dive over the goal line, etc. They showed of clip of a guy that looked pretty innocent looking back over his shoulder to see if he wa being caught and held the ball out in fron t cross the goal line and the guy said that was tauntin even though he didn't say or give the impression he was trying to be "in your face". Sounds pretty strict.

"The rules committee voted unanimously on this. Let's keep the lid on sportsmanship and prevent that type of demeaning," said Dave Parry, the NCAA's national coordinator of college football officiating. "I recall a play a few years ago where a player turned around at the 10 and teased the opponent with the ball. In the past this would be a penalty assessed on the extra point or kickoffs. Now, it's no touchdown."

Parry said the decision to implement the rule in 2011 gives players and coaches ample advance warning.

"This gives the players a year's notice that we're going to be tougher on sportsmanship. Last year it was mentioned that this could become a possibility," Parry said.

He also predicted the penalty would be called "very rarely."

"If it's close to diving into the end zone, most likely it would be ruled that the act ended while in the end zone. We'll be lenient," Parry said. "It's really if it's really bad, for example, if a guy flips the bird at the 10 or high-steps backwards into the end zone or starts a forward roll at the 3-yard line."

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I am glad to see the NCAA getting tough on eye black messages. That and the number of pages allowed in a media guide. Way to go!

Houston Frog

You just know this taunting rule is going to be the deciding factor in a big game and create all sorts of controversy.

They better not call it on ticky tack stuff, it should only be called on no-brainer type taunts.

I don't like it.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 16 2010, 08:40 AM) [snapback]545400[/snapback]
I am glad to see the NCAA getting tough on eye black messages. That and the number of pages allowed in a media guide. Way to go!

Blame the coaches who came up with this rule and the ADs and Conference Commissioners who approved it.

The DI membership has been debating printed media guides for years. Every year some conference proposes to eliminate them all together, but it never quite gets enough support from the rest of the membership to pass. The compromise was to limit the size of the publications.

Trelvis

I dont have a problem with the wedge block stuff but the other rules are atrocious. Just another penalty that is a judgment call by the refs. This will end up costing someone a game.

I dont know how you can justify taking points off the board.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Apr 16 2010, 08:59 AM) [snapback]545413[/snapback]
I dont have a problem with the wedge block stuff but the other rules are atrocious. Just another penalty that is a judgment call by the refs. This will end up costing someone a game.

I dont know how you can justify taking points off the board.

Commie B-stds! This (taunting rule) will be effecting games, and is a terrible way to do business. You're guessing the intent of a player?

What's wrong with holding the ball out in front when crossing the goal line? Did the other team not know you had it in your hand? Idiotic - it will change the outcome of some games, and that's just wrong.

This almost looks like a joke. Please tell me it is... :angry:

geno

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 16 2010, 07:40 AM) [snapback]545400[/snapback]

I agree, but can't help but notice that the eye black messages were alright so long as they stayed away from religious stuff. But let Tebow put John 3:16 under his eyes, and the NCAA has to protect us from such vile stuff. Hmmm.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(geno @ Apr 16 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]545465[/snapback]
I agree, but can't help but notice that the eye black messages were alright so long as they stayed away from religious stuff. But let Tebow put John 3:16 under his eyes, and the NCAA has to protect us from such vile stuff. Hmmm.

exactly ... someone expressing religious faith scares some people for some reason ...

I think the NCAA should also ban players and coaches from doing interviews using such phrases as "I first want to thank God for giving me this opportunity ..." because that is also scary to some.

frogyou

if a player breaks a 60 yard run and wants to drop his pants at the 5 and moon the defense, so be it. maybe the defense should learn how to tackle the guy next time.

i hear that the rule to do away with scores and consider everyone a winner (assuming your an AQ school) was just narrowly defeated. another two years and all the soccer moms will have the scores banished so little timmy doesnt have to "lose".

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Wasn't it Korey Roddgers who one game caught a deep ball for a TD, his momentum carried him to the north end zone wall, he went down the wall a few feet high fiving some kids, and drew and unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 16 2010, 10:21 AM) [snapback]545469[/snapback]
exactly ... someone expressing religious faith scares some people for some reason ...

I think the NCAA should also ban players and coaches from doing interviews using such phrases as "I first want to thank God for giving me this opportunity ..." because that is also scary to some.

So why do football coaches and athletic department administrators have a problem with eye black messages?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 16 2010, 10:32 AM) [snapback]545476[/snapback]
So why do football coaches and athletic department administrators have a problem with eye black messages?

Possible promotional uses that could violate NCAA rules?

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 16 2010, 10:45 AM) [snapback]545486[/snapback]
Possible promotional uses that could violate NCAA rules?

Possibly. A player could put a Nike swoosh on the eyeblack when his school has an addidas contract, but that's an issue with his school, not the NCAA per se. I guess a player could put something out there like a possible endorsement deal, like "DRINK" under one eye and "7UP" under the other, which might open the door to possible rules violations. Frankly, I see eyeblack as pretty harmless and I'm a little suprised that the coaches came up with this rule.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 16 2010, 10:32 AM) [snapback]545476[/snapback]

Because if the NCAA isn't making money from it, then it's no good. The same reason at NCAA tournament site they NCAA goes around and covers any logo that isn't a NCAA sponsor.

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Apr 16 2010, 11:10 AM) [snapback]545514[/snapback]
Because if the NCAA isn't making money from it, then it's no good. The same reason at NCAA tournament site they NCAA goes around and covers any logo that isn't a NCAA sponsor.

So football coaches proposed this rule because of concerns regarding NCAA corporate partnerships?