• The KillerFrogs

Estimate the Amount of Cash Your Wife/GF/Sig Other has in Her Purse Right Now

JogginFrog

My last 6 months of budgets shows zero ATM withdrawals and zero cash held out of bank deposits. Our cash supply for half a year has been small reimbursements by friends for shared expenses that we put on a card.

I keep some cash for tips when traveling and make ATM withdrawals overseas--India has surprisingly few places that accept credit cards. But Africa has the mobile money thing down--I've seen Masai tribesmen with little beyond goats, a staff and a cloak exchange money by phone.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
My last 6 months of budgets shows zero ATM withdrawals and zero cash held out of bank deposits. Our cash supply for half a year has been small reimbursements by friends for shared expenses that we put on a card.

I keep some cash for tips when traveling and make ATM withdrawals overseas--India has surprisingly few places that accept credit cards. But Africa has the mobile money thing down--I've seen Masai tribesmen with little beyond goats, a staff and a cloak exchange money by phone.
When we were in Zimbabwe I regretted not bringing an abundance of small bills. The inflation there was so awful, USD were coveted. I presented a $20 bill at a market and the poor lady had a terrible time changing it - going to several other vendors, etc - until finally I just took what change she had. Some of those dollars were so well worn as to be damn near transparent!

AroundWorldFrog

When we were in Zimbabwe I regretted not bringing an abundance of small bills. The inflation there was so awful, USD were coveted. I presented a $20 bill at a market and the poor lady had a terrible time changing it - going to several other vendors, etc - until finally I just took what change she had. Some of those dollars were so well worn as to be damn near transparent!
Vietnam is the same. Plus I don't like having 25,000 dongs in my pocket.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
bigger question is how much money do brewing frog and country frog have in their satchels/man bags as one openly admits to wearing a kilt and liking the movie barry lyndon and the other is a gourd eater and drinks FRENCH vanilla coffee
Hmmm... (Checks sporran) One .44 Anaconda w/two speedloaders, One Gerber multitool, One flask Pumpkin Spice Gin, paperback copy of 'The Writings of Robert Burns (abridged)', two StillWell Star Bayou #32 cigars and accoutremonts, towel, and toothpick. Ale tankard is kept on a separate belt fitting. Takes up too much space otherwise...

LisaLT

I'm not sure its just a gender thing, but carrying SOME cash is always a good idea. I have been in numerous situations where I've needed cash and paid less because I paid in cash vs. CC (especially in London in cabs for some reason).

But $100 is usually the amount I try to have on hand. This time of the year I do hand out cash to those less fortunate that I come across on the streets.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog always keeps about $100 in her kit. Just in case. If we're traveling, she'll bump it up as she thinks necessary.

Generally, in these technological times, a card will get everything done quite nicely and the cash goes unused. But it's still nice to have there, just in case...

Eight

I'm not sure its just a gender thing, but carrying SOME cash is always a good idea. I have been in numerous situations where I've needed cash and paid less because I paid in cash vs. CC (especially in London in cabs for some reason).

But $100 is usually the amount I try to have on hand. This time of the year I do hand out cash to those less fortunate that I come across on the streets.

hard to put a debit card in the cabana boys' speedos?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Mrs. Brewingfrog always keeps about $100 in her kit. Just in case. If we're traveling, she'll bump it up as she thinks necessary.

Generally, in these technological times, a card will get everything done quite nicely and the cash goes unused. But it's still nice to have there, just in case...
The London cabbie is such a lottery. I’ve had ones ranging from super-nice to dangerously surly to downright crazy

Brog

Used to be that my trouser pockets would get holes in them all the time from carrying around a lot of coins given as change at the grocery store. Now I don't use cash at all in such transactions. And pulling out a half dollar coin from an old storage place, one of my grandsons asked, "What is this, anyway?"

Relic

A guy I used to work with always had $5,000-10,000 in hundreds with him at all times. I thought he was nuts, but he said you never know when you might need it. He looked out our work place window one day and saw a guy across the street at the gas station with a trailer and a jet ski on it. He walked over and talked to the guy and ended up buying the trailer and jet ski off him, all because he had the cash and the seller, as it turned out, was in a financial bind. He turned around and sold it a few months later and made a quick $5 grand profit. I figured he might be a genius, but remembered he was a fireman, just like me.