• The KillerFrogs

ESPN: Quentin Johnston says 'I'm due for a breakout' under Jim Harbaugh

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Quentin Johnston says 'I'm due for a breakout' under Jim Harbaugh​

Story by Kris Rhim

BB1hzoEc.img

LOS ANGELES -- Since Jim Harbaugh accepted the Los Angeles Chargers' head-coaching job last week, he's been reaching out to several players, including Quentin Johnston, whom Harbaugh faced two years ago as the coach at Michigan in the College Football Playoff semifinal.

Johnston and TCU won that game over Michigan, 51-45, with the star receiver snagging six catches for 163 yards and one touchdown. Harbaugh will be entering a TCU-laden locker room that includes Johnston, receiver Derius Davis and quarterback Max Duggan, who were all on that Horned Frogs team that beat Harbaugh's Wolverines.

Harbaugh joked about that point in his and Johnston's first interaction, before telling the rookie his excitement about coaching him this season.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...for-a-breakout-under-jim-harbaugh/ar-BB1hzsop

East Coast

Tier 1
Interesting that the article states he struggled with drops, but says he had only 3. ESPN stats have him at 67 targets in 17 games played. Is the 3 drops stat wrong?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Interesting that the article states he struggled with drops, but says he had only 3. ESPN stats have him at 67 targets in 17 games played. Is the 3 drops stat wrong?
I didn't think he was targeted enough and 3 drops out of 67 passes doesn't seem bad at all.

ShreveFrog

The drop of a potential game winning, perfectly thrown, wide open TD pass at Green Bay is huge mark against QJ that drives up the opinion that he has the dropsies. Hopefully QJ does break out under Harbaugh.
Maybe Max benefits the most under Harbaugh. He's seen what Max can do in a big time game.

Wexahu

The drop of a potential game winning, perfectly thrown, wide open TD pass at Green Bay is huge mark against QJ that drives up the opinion that he has the dropsies. Hopefully QJ does break out under Harbaugh.
Maybe Max benefits the most under Harbaugh. He's seen what Max can do in a big time game.
It's not the drops IMO, it's the willingness to fight through contact/traffic and get to his spots.

A QB is not going to be comfortable throwing often to a guy when he's not confident that guy is going to be where he's supposed to be. It's not like college where QBs can often wait and throw to a receiver that is already open.

East Coast

Tier 1
It's not the drops IMO, it's the willingness to fight through contact/traffic and get to his spots.

A QB is not going to be comfortable throwing often to a guy when he's not confident that guy is going to be where he's supposed to be. It's not like college where QBs can often wait and throw to a receiver that is already open.
Yes, his 56% completion rate on targets, certainly wasn't very good. Except on balls that he could highpoint, QJ wasn't special at contested catches at TCU. I'd argue both Savion and Taye Barber were better.

Wexahu

Yes, his 56% completion rate on targets, certainly wasn't very good. Except on balls that he could highpoint, QJ wasn't special at contested catches at TCU. I'd argue both Savion and Taye Barber were better.
He wasn't good at highpointing catches either. TBH, he just didn't have good hands, period. He was able to dominate at times mostly because of his freakish athletic ability and run after catch skills.

Limp Lizard

QJ is what he is: a tough, tall, athletic WR who is very good once the ball is in his hands, but questionable as far as overall WR skills. They need to find a way to get the ball in his hands where he can use his size and overall athleticism to make some tough yards. I always thought at TCU he let the ball get to his pads too often.

But find a way to get him the ball where he can run, and he could be a weapon.

JogginFrog

He apparently struggled a bunch with drops in camp and pre-season, losing the trust of Herbert and getting passed on the depth chart by Palmer. It affected his snaps mostly, and costly/memorable in-season drops and poor catch-per-target numbers reinforced the narrative. Not wrongly, in my opinion.