• The KillerFrogs

Does TCU require vaccinations?

flyfishingfrog

Victoria, Texas. Population 50,000. Surrounded by acres and acres of cattle ranches. While I have never been a "Healthcare provider" (aside from handing pain killers to hungover people), that is precisely where I was.
victoria is far from Rural in this country - but have you looked at the vaccination rates based on age and economic groups in Victoria?

Older people overall are often unable to "just go to the pharmacy" because they can't drive legally, can't see, forget due to medical conditions, etc.

Lower income people often don't have a car or other reliable means of "just going to the pharmacy" and the nearest chain pharmacy may not even be in their neighborhood - so they need someone to take them

Truly rural areas - not 100 miles from the 4th largest city and 8th largest cities in America - will likely have been sent a small percentage of the number of vaccines, won't have one of the large pharmacy chains in their small town and will rely on the local physician to administer the vaccine - and he may not be fulltime in their town and definitely doesn't have time to drive to everyone's house.

The vaccine issue is these portions of our society are directly representative of overall healthcare delivery issues as a whole for the same groups.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
victoria is far from Rural in this country - but have you looked at the vaccination rates based on age and economic groups in Victoria?

Older people overall are often unable to "just go to the pharmacy" because they can't drive legally, can't see, forget due to medical conditions, etc.

Lower income people often don't have a car or other reliable means of "just going to the pharmacy" and the nearest chain pharmacy may not even be in their neighborhood - so they need someone to take them

Truly rural areas - not 100 miles from the 4th largest city and 8th largest cities in America - will likely have been sent a small percentage of the number of vaccines, won't have one of the large pharmacy chains in their small town and will rely on the local physician to administer the vaccine - and he may not be fulltime in their town and definitely doesn't have time to drive to everyone's house.

The vaccine issue is these portions of our society are directly representative of overall healthcare delivery issues as a whole for the same groups.
It was a 40+ minute drive over there. The town in which I get my mail is a tiny hamlet of under 2000 souls. There is a clinic in town, open 6 days a week, which has the vaccine FOR FREE, anytime you want to stop in. There is also a pharmacy which offers the vaccine FOR FREE just a few steps from the local bar.

As to "have I checked the vaccination rates..." Hell, no. I don't really care. My point was, I have seen numerous times on this thread and in the Media that "Oh! People want the vaccine but can't get it because poverty, racism, etc." I say that's a load of crap based simply upon observation of my local area and the obvious availability nearby. Those who wanted it have already gotten it.

flyfishingfrog

It was a 40+ minute drive over there. The town in which I get my mail is a tiny hamlet of under 2000 souls. There is a clinic in town, open 6 days a week, which has the vaccine FOR FREE, anytime you want to stop in. There is also a pharmacy which offers the vaccine FOR FREE just a few steps from the local bar.

As to "have I checked the vaccination rates..." Hell, no. I don't really care. My point was, I have seen numerous times on this thread and in the Media that "Oh! People want the vaccine but can't get it because poverty, racism, etc." I say that's a load of crap based simply upon observation of my local area and the obvious availability nearby. Those who wanted it have already gotten it.
I think anyone that really wants it can get it if they have the means to get to the location.

I also think anyone that really wants healthcare in this country has been able to get it for a long time.

Neither are so easy that people that don't care or want an excuse will not be able to blame something.

But I think you are really ignorant to how a part of our population struggles to live everyday - and I am not saying it is anyone's fault besides their own beyond the facts of age.

Did you ever think why thousands of older americans starve everyday? can't get their medicine they need or die without anyone noticing?

It is far from the percentages of unvaccinated - but there are over 1 million Americans over 60 that each day miss adequate meals, medicine or anyone to even visit with to ask for help.

Wexahu

Understand what you are saying to a degree but I would think anyone who is out and about enough to be susceptible to contracting the virus would also have the means to get vaccinated somehow, no? Somebody out in the middle of nowhere who hardly ever gets out would seem to have little to worry about anyway.

flyfishingfrog

Understand what you are saying to a degree but I would think anyone who is out and about enough to be susceptible to contracting the virus would also have the means to get vaccinated somehow, no? Somebody out in the middle of nowhere who hardly ever gets out would seem to have little to worry about anyway.
You can come up with a million scenarios

just saying the same communities that are under vaccinated right now closely mimic the communities that are under served in overall healthcare

a huge portion of the diabetics in the Black community are not properly diagnosed or medicated for example and it is an epidemic of its own

So if a group has historically struggled to get basic life saving care before - it should not be shocking they aren’t going to get vaccinated either

and no one has done any analysis on the portion of the unvaccinated that are low risk of exposure because frankly no one knows and it doesn’t fit the agenda

BrewingFrog

But I think you are really ignorant to how a part of our population struggles to live everyday - and I am not saying it is anyone's fault besides their own beyond the facts of age.

Did you ever think why thousands of older americans starve everyday? can't get their medicine they need or die without anyone noticing?

It is far from the percentages of unvaccinated - but there are over 1 million Americans over 60 that each day miss adequate meals, medicine or anyone to even visit with to ask for help.
My Uncle is 91. He gets Meals on Wheels 6 days a week. Why? "It's free! I'd be an idiot not to take free food!"

My Mom is 89. She does her own shopping, fixes her own meals, and generally takes care of herself. I trek down weekly to check on her and make sure things are good.

Both of them are fiercely protective of their independence. There is the distinct possibility of gunplay if we tried to stick my Uncle in a home. My Mom is beginning to slip mentally, and may need to live somewhere that an eye is kept on her fairly soon. She realizes and understands this, and I watch for signs that she is ready.

So, no, I am not "ignorant" of the challenges of older folks. I live in a place that has a lot of older folks, as the kids leave and go to the City while the parents, and Grandparents, stay on.

What Up Toad

True, unless you did have the grandkids come visit, and they ended up being asymptomatic and passing it on to you.

Wexahu

True, unless you did have the grandkids come visit, and they ended up being asymptomatic and passing it on to you.

How did the grandkids get there? Presumably the parents drove them there. And If they can take the kids to grandmas house why can’t they take grandma to get vaccinated?

flyfishingfrog

My Uncle is 91. He gets Meals on Wheels 6 days a week. Why? "It's free! I'd be an idiot not to take free food!"

My Mom is 89. She does her own shopping, fixes her own meals, and generally takes care of herself. I trek down weekly to check on her and make sure things are good.

Both of them are fiercely protective of their independence. There is the distinct possibility of gunplay if we tried to stick my Uncle in a home. My Mom is beginning to slip mentally, and may need to live somewhere that an eye is kept on her fairly soon. She realizes and understands this, and I watch for signs that she is ready.

So, no, I am not "ignorant" of the challenges of older folks. I live in a place that has a lot of older folks, as the kids leave and go to the City while the parents, and Grandparents, stay on.
Great for them

a 101 year old ran a marathon last month

I guess because of all that - those aren’t so healthy and financially independent should just be left to die on their own

Jesus you are a freaking cold hearted beating

Thank goodness you didn’t go into medicine or social work

BrewingFrog

Great for them

a 101 year old ran a marathon last month

I guess because of all that - those aren’t so healthy and financially independent should just be left to die on their own

Jesus you are a freaking cold hearted beating

Thank goodness you didn’t go into medicine or social work
Yeah, I went into business so I could rape and pillage the proletariat...

I don't know what you had for breakfast, but I'd recommend not having it again. Seems like it turns you into a judgmental sack of crap that doesn't know his ass from his elbow on any subject.

Here's a straw, and there's my septic tank. Get to work.

Froglaw

Your Uncle would have gotten along well with my Dad.

Living in a home with career Nurse Assistabts is not my idea of life.

OSAGE BEACH, MO. (AP) — Daryl Barker was passionately against a COVID-19 vaccination, and so were his relatives. Then 10 of them got sick and Barker, at just 31, ended up in a Missouri intensive care unit fighting for his life.
He arrived critically ill. Placed on a ventilator, Barker was given a 20% chance of surviving.
Sohal said many patients now are younger — in their 20s, 30s or 40s — and sicker, often with gastrointestinal distress in addition to breathing problems.
Sohal said nearly everyone hospitalized is unvaccinated.
"I don't ever want to have to do this again," she said, "and if that means getting a vaccination to prevent something like this, that's what I'll do."

BrewingFrog

OSAGE BEACH, MO. (AP) — Daryl Barker was passionately against a COVID-19 vaccination, and so were his relatives. Then 10 of them got sick and Barker, at just 31, ended up in a Missouri intensive care unit fighting for his life.
He arrived critically ill. Placed on a ventilator, Barker was given a 20% chance of surviving.
Sohal said many patients now are younger — in their 20s, 30s or 40s — and sicker, often with gastrointestinal distress in addition to breathing problems.
"I don't ever want to have to do this again," she said, "and if that means getting a vaccination to prevent something like this, that's what I'll do."
Oh, gosh! You've convinced me! I'll run down right now and...

No.

You might look in to posing some of the zillion "I just got out of the E.R..." agitprop that's been going around. It's more stupid and lurid.

LVH

Instead of wishing he got the vaccine, maybe instead he should wish that he lived a more healthy lifestyle and wasn't a fat frick.