• The KillerFrogs

Do we really need a bigger Jumbotron at ACS?

hfrogs10

They have that gigantic of a video board yet the score can only be found on tiny little boards around the stadium. Like how are board has our score abd other scores and stats posted much more visible.

Ron Swanson

BrewingFrog said:
It is that... thing in the south EZ at DKR that makes me shudder. It represents everything that is wrong with attending College Football Games. A blaring commercial projector, and little else.

Whatever the plans are for TCU, they need to look carefully at DKR, take notes, and realize quite plainly that whatever they are doing down in Austin, it is the WRONG WAY.
I just hope TCU starts to incorporate the "Pilgrim Cam" and the "Jersey Cam" into our gameday shenanigans. After seeing those hysterical bits bring the house down at DKR last night, we just have to have that at ACS.

TOO GOOD!!!!!

Ron Swanson

BrewingFrog said:
I understand the ADD world and why it exists, but it does not mean that it should be embraced or encouraged. In fact, a refuge from that might be an experience in and of itself. 
Agree

The UT gameday experience is so hokey and cheesy. So much ghey stuff going on the entire time. My brother and I must've looked at each other and shook our heads with a goofy look on our face about 15 times yesterday. Couldn't believe all the stupid arse gimmicks they had going at every break in the action.

I would be embarrassed if TCU did the same at ACS.

Ron Swanson

Atomic Frawg said:
BF, while I can appreciate your sentiments, today's sports experience is a far cry from what you desire. We live in an era where if you see someone still for more than 30 seconds, he/she will pull out a smart phone and start staring at it. We can't sit still and need stimulation.

Sporting events are just that, events. People go to games to see a game and be entertained. That's why we have Frog Alley. People want and like the pageantry. They like the multiple uniforms. They like the fireworks. You would hate a Cowboys game given your position. They have dancers all over the place, flames, music, graphics, and people love it. Many thought his screens would detract from the games, but the place is constantly packed.

Look at MLB stadiums. They have facilities with slides, swimming pools, an LCD scrwwn at every seat, trains, you name it! We live on an era of sports entertainment, and that's not going away.
Couldn't disagree with this more. This is the exact opposite ship that I want at ACS.

That hokey corporate ship is for pro teams. Not having that crap is what makes college football gameday experience better than NFL.

I'm not denying that having all that flash and gimmicks isn't a thing, I'm just saying that it's terrible. TCU is better than that.

Deep Purple

Leave the jumbotrons just as they are.  So many more important things could be done to the stadium.

I've actually seen threads on shaggybevo complaining about how overwhelming and distracting their megatron is.  No need to pursue video board pee-pee envy.

Atomic Frawg

Ron Swanson said:
Couldn't disagree with this more. This is the exact opposite Boat that I want at ACS.

That hokey corporate Boat is for pro teams. Not having that crap is what makes college football gameday experience better than NFL.

I'm not denying that having all that flash and gimmicks isn't a thing, I'm just saying that it's terrible. TCU is better than that.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong or that we need a larger board or not. I'm saying it is what it is. Some would say having stoned, permanent tailgating pads with built in TV stands and gas grills is hokie and what's wrong with college football, but they are there, and they aren't going away. Just like naming rights aren't going away. Moncrief Field at Amon Carter Stadium? Really? I remember the big fuss when Dr. Pepper wanted naming rights on the board in Run-DMC and the stadium, but it happened. The world's a changin' fellas.

The bigger issue seems how they are used.

Get Your Frogs Up

Atomic Frawg said:
Ever go to Michigan State? In fact, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_stadium_video_boards

Of the top ten schools with big jumbotrons, there are only two Texas schools, and three B12 schools in the top twelve.

Two of the top five are NFL stadiums, so those get knocked out, IMO.  Then Mississippi State is counted twice at No. 8, so eliminate one more.  That essentially puts A&M (1), UT (2), Oklahoma (9), and Baylor (10) in the top 10 largest college video boards.

4 of the top 10 from a ten team Big 12. 3 of the top 10 from Texas.  And, Texas Tech is hanging around in the high teens as well.[SIZE=14.6666669845581px]  I think that kind of supports my general point.[/SIZE]

A&M and UT are essentially in a facilities pissing match, and jumbotron is one way they measure their wieners against each other, and then Baylor and Tech are just desperate for everyone to notice that they have wieners too.

Ron Swanson

Atomic Frawg said:
I'm not saying it's right or wrong or that we need a larger board or not. I'm saying it is what it is. Some would say having stoned, permanent tailgating pads with built in TV stands and gas grills is hokie and what's wrong with college football, but they are there, and they aren't going away. Just like naming rights aren't going away. Moncrief Field at Amon Carter Stadium? Really? I remember the big fuss when Dr. Pepper wanted naming rights on the board in Run-DMC and the stadium, but it happened. The world's a changin' fellas.

The bigger issue seems how they are used.

Nothing wrong with naming the field or having intricate permanent tailgate setups.

I don't think those are even in the same category as having sponsored 2nd downs and cheesy activities blaring throughout the stadium every break.  Just because it's a thing doesn't mean it's something we need to do at TCU.

I don't care of the world's a changing, I don't want TCU to change in that manner.  Just cause UT and the Cowboys are doing it doesn't mean it's right.

West Coast Johnny

No.  Is there any stadium in the country where people say things like - "Gee, that's a great jumbotron.  I'm really glad it's here to pump these dumb commercials in my face."

The opposite it true.  People don't like big TVs at stadiums - see Cowboy Stadium & DKR for example.  Texas folk complain incessantly about their "Ad-zilliatron"

rifram09

I think humongo-trons add to the spectacle of the game.

I've never been distracted by the big screen at any venue including Jerry World. I guess I see how it's possible, and maybe I'm just used to screens. I work at a computer, use my iPhone all day, watch some tv several nights a week, etc. I use several devices simultaneously (I.e., watch tv while reading news on the iPad, or work at my desk but monitor my phone, etc.). So when I'm at a football game, im usually talking with friends, watching replays on the big screen, reading kf.c on my phone and watching the game all at the same time.

Oh, and I don't have ADD. I did quite well in school and so far I'm not fired at work.

froginaustin

PhormerPhrog said:
I was told by a significant donor that one of the suite owners demanded it as a condition of his donation. He said to turn his head north was too hard on the neck.
I think I remember reading on this very board at about the time the stadium re-do was being discussed, that a significant donor was squawking about TCU in effect throwing away a perfectly good big screen for a bigger one, and that lead to the old board being recycled.

Ron Swanson

To clarify, I don't have an issue with giant jumbotrons themselves, I just don't like all the cheesy ship that is often associated with them.

ifrog

Ron Swanson said:
To clarify, I don't have an issue with giant jumbotrons themselves, I just don't like all the cheesy Boat that is often associated with them.
This. I mostly watch it for the replays or the pump up videos

jugbandfrog said:
What if we just put a jumbotron in the lower west side bowl? This way the screen would be huge and we would t have to look at all those empty seats.
Great idea! Who need's those those empty seats anyway! Who need's those donors anyway, seats full or empty! The only people pissed about it would be those 18 year olds on scholarship.

BahZoo

I don't care how big the screen is.  Size isn't the problem.  The darning thing is way way way too loud and the people running it are doing a poor job.  I can't believe we are so inept that we play statium audio over the top of the band.  That's pathetic.

60s Frog

Tier 1
Stiff Arm Frog said:
Hell. No. When I come to AGC I'm there to watch a football game, not a string of advertisements and not to get visually assaulted by a screaming vortex of color.

Having to endure Godzillatron was the worst part of the game last night.
Amen - it's the law of diminishing returns applied to "game experience"- -