• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU's best 10 football games thus far this decade

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: TCU's best 10 football games thus far this decade

By Reece Kelley Graham Staff Writer
Contact Reece Kelley Grahamon Twitter:mad:ReeceKelleyG

We recently counted down the top quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, defensive players and coaches in TCU history, and there were many Horned Frog legends on those lists.

But with no disrespect intended to any of them, the last 10 years of TCU football have arguably been the best. Bowl games, championships, and countless humdingers that we won't soon forget.

And we're going to rank the very best of the best. Here's the top 10 TCU football games of the last decade:

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...7/tcus-best-10-football-games-thus-far-decade

Brog

Absolutely stupid sports column, but if you can get onto the site at the DMN, it has some great videos of the games.

MTfrog5

Not my exact top 10 but reasonable. Cant leave our 2009 Utah or 2011 at boise, IMO. I'd nix Stanford and OSU games for those two. I'd also put the 82-27 Tech win in. Not sure what I'd remove for it though.
Only reason why I think that 2007 Stanford win is there is because it came out of nowhere on the road against a team who beat number 1 USC the week before

jake102

1 - Rose Bowl
2 - Peach Bowl
3 - Alamo Bowl - completely blanked on it first time around.
4 - 2009 Utah game
5 - 2014 OU
6 - 2010 Utah away game
7 - 2014 KState blackout
8 - 2015 Baylor sleet/ice bowl
9 - 2011 Boise State
10 - 2014 Oky State (just because we actually beat Oky State for once)

Last edited:

ftwfrog

It said "games" not "wins". This being said, it's still an awful list.

The plastering of Utah in 2009 and 2010 were not great games; just really fun to watch. Of course the same could be said about the Peah Bowl, that did make the list.

While we hated it, the game in Waco was a hell of a game to a neutral fan (that overlooks rape). However the Fiesta Bowl (made the list) loss was not. That was a bad, boring, sloppy game that involved turnovers and not many highlights.

1,2 - rose bowl, Alamo bowl, and all others can be debated. Talks of "best games" has to include the Oberkrom game winner at WVU, the immaculate deflection in Lubbock, and the win on the blue turf.

From a neutral fan perspective I could see how one puts the Alamo bowl ahead of the Rose Bowl, back up QB, down 31-0, biggest comeback in bowl history, etc. Hell, there was talks of a movie being made.

Armadillo

Only reason why I think that 2007 Stanford win is there is because it came out of nowhere on the road against a team who beat number 1 USC the week before

Well, to be fair, the title of the piece says best TCU football games "THIS DECADE". I believe the 2007 Stanford game and 2009 Utah game would fall outside the parameters of this particular opinion piece (because it sure isn't journalism).

Wexahu

Not my exact top 10 but reasonable. Cant leave our 2009 Utah or 2011 at boise, IMO. I'd nix Stanford and OSU games for those two. I'd also put the 82-27 Tech win in. Not sure what I'd remove for it though.

OSU in 2014 wouldn't be in my Top 20. They weren't very good that year, it was a home game, and the game wasn't even all that exciting.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
1 - Rose Bowl
2 - Peach Bowl
3 - Alamo Bowl - completely blanked on it first time around.
4 - 2009 Utah game
5 - 2014 OU
6 - 2010 Utah away game
7 - 2014 KState blackout
8 - 2015 Baylor sleet/ice bowl
9 - 2011 Boise State
10 - 2014 Oky State (just because we actually beat Oky State for once)
2009 not in this decade.

ftwfrog

Yes, it did same GAMES and not WINS, but aside from the Baylor loss would you say the SMU loss or the Boise loss were either well played games or enjoyable from a TCU perspective? The Baylor game itself was marred not only by the phantom PI call at the end of the game, but the quick clock stoppage at the end of the first half on the bad punt snap that allowed Baylor to kick a field goal. Additionally, the SMU win was not nearly as entertaining as the win over OU or either of the first two games at Morgantown.

If we really want to include losses on this list TCU has had some very exciting losses to OU in Norman that came down to the very end of the game which I would include over either SMU game or the Boise loss in the Bowl game.
I don't think you read my whole post. I said the list was bogus because of how bad a game the Boise bowl loss was and how great a game the WVU oberkrom game was.