• The KillerFrogs

Disturbing story involving Oregon State's best pitcher

Moose Stuff

so you are saying that a team worth hundreds of millions of dollars and part of an organization worth billions in total - and is considering drafting a guy in the first round and thus sign a contract obligating them to pay him millions in signing bonuses and salary - and thus opening themselves up to a huge PR, fiduciary, and oversight risk/liability because of their future employee:

would not bother to run a $500 background check that takes about 48 hours and would easily uncover the fact that he is a convicted felon even as a youth?

You are right - I find that hard to believe if there is a single Risk/Compliance attorney associated with the club in any capacity.

You can't get a job at McDonald's without them running the basic $75 background check that would actually uncover the conviction.

If MLB teams are not doing that minimum level of due diligence, then frankly the deserve the multi-million dollar lawsuit that eventually one of them will incur when the wife, girlfriend, drunk girl in bar, female fan gets attacked by one of their players while playing out of town and it comes out he had a past history but they try to use the "we were not aware" statement.

Professional sports teams are corporations with extreme liability concerns and compliance requirements - much more so than Universities and we run background checks on athletes at TCU. So it would be a compliance and risk failure of gargantuan proportions for an MLB team to not do the same - because I would bet they have done one on every person in their back office/operations areas.

I told you you'd be surprised. Do some teams do them? Sure. But it is FAR from every team and every potential high pick. And just for the record, this kid wasn't gonna be a first round pick.

Chongo94

Homeschooled....first clue. I'm sure I'll take heat for that but those guys are weird when they're first plopped into real school.

TCUdirtbag

Look, it's probably as disgusting and appalling as our initial reactions suggest.

But I am a little uncomfortable damning a kid to hell with a he said/she said involving a 13-15 year old and 4-6 year old. The one thing I picked up on that gave me a little pause is the comment by the mother about how the family all sided with the boy's family. Maybe they're all delusional. I don't know. I just wanted someone to interject into this that there's always a chance that there's more to the story. Kid got about as lenient a sentence as they could've given him. It's possible there's more to the story. It's possible, and I hope, he's been rehabbed.

I'm sure I'll get attacked by some of you who ignore the premise up top and respond to a portion of the middle. Oh well .

WhatTheFrog

Look, it's probably as disgusting and appalling as our initial reactions suggest.

But I am a little uncomfortable damning a kid to hell with a he said/she said involving a 13-15 year old and 4-6 year old. The one thing I picked up on that gave me a little pause is the comment by the mother about how the family all sided with the boy's family. Maybe they're all delusional. I don't know. I just wanted someone to interject into this that there's always a chance that there's more to the story. Kid got about as lenient a sentence as they could've given him. It's possible there's more to the story. It's possible, and I hope, he's been rehabbed.

I'm sure I'll get attacked by some of you who ignore the premise up top and respond to a portion of the middle. Oh well .

I don't think anyone is "damning the kid to hell", but he did provide a hand written confession of the offense.

Chongo94

Chongo: Does that opinion apply to our former Home schooled basketball player or our current Home schooled baseball player as well?

If you'll notice, I said when they're first plopped into school, nothing about how they are once they've been there for a while. Thanks.

Frog-in-law1995

so you are saying that a team worth hundreds of millions of dollars and part of an organization worth billions in total - and is considering drafting a guy in the first round and thus sign a contract obligating them to pay him millions in signing bonuses and salary - and thus opening themselves up to a huge PR, fiduciary, and oversight risk/liability because of their future employee:

would not bother to run a $500 background check that takes about 48 hours and would easily uncover the fact that he is a convicted felon even as a youth?

You are right - I find that hard to believe if there is a single Risk/Compliance attorney associated with the club in any capacity.

You can't get a job at McDonald's without them running the basic $75 background check that would actually uncover the conviction.

If MLB teams are not doing that minimum level of due diligence, then frankly the deserve the multi-million dollar lawsuit that eventually one of them will incur when the wife, girlfriend, drunk girl in bar, female fan gets attacked by one of their players while playing out of town and it comes out he had a past history but they try to use the "we were not aware" statement.

Professional sports teams are corporations with extreme liability concerns and compliance requirements - much more so than Universities and we run background checks on athletes at TCU. So it would be a compliance and risk failure of gargantuan proportions for an MLB team to not do the same - because I would bet they have done one on every person in their back office/operations areas.

How would a MLB team be liable for the criminal actions of a player that occur off the field?

flyfishingfrog

How would a MLB team be liable for the criminal actions of a player that occur off the field?
Last year a fortune 50 company headquartered in Dallas settled a $25 mil lawsuit by a female employee that was attacked by another employee during an out of town industry conference after work hours because it was later discovered the company had failed to run their "required" background check that would have shown he had previously been convicted of raping a coworker in a previous job while on a similar business trip

Undisclosed settlement so maybe it was for less than the cost of fighting the case but i doubt it

American has also been involved in settlements related to the shenanigans of pilots and even other staff while out of town for company reasons but not on company time

They even lost one they fought about 15 years partly because the employee had done a similar action before while employed by American but they continued to put him in the same situation even though his actions were after work hours in both instances but the guy was required to be out of town by the company for "work"

Frog-in-law1995

Last year a fortune 50 company headquartered in Dallas settled a $25 mil lawsuit by a female employee that was attacked by another employee during an out of town industry conference after work hours because it was later discovered the company had failed to run their "required" background check that would have shown he had previously been convicted of raping a coworker in a previous job while on a similar business trip

Undisclosed settlement so maybe it was for less than the cost of fighting the case but i doubt it

American has also been involved in settlements related to the shenanigans of pilots and even other staff while out of town for company reasons but not on company time

They even lost one they fought about 15 years partly because the employee had done a similar action before while employed by American but they continued to put him in the same situation even though his actions were after work hours in both instances but the guy was required to be out of town by the company for "work"

The nature of the employment provided the access to the victims (other employees) in those cases. Being a professional baseball player doesn't provide access to a player's own wife or girlfriend or drunk girls in bars.

Edit: I suppose, though, that a claim made by a hotel employee at the team hotel could support a negligent hiring COA, so that would be enough reason to background check them.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

The nature of the employment provided the access to the victims (other employees) in those cases. Being a professional baseball player doesn't provide access to a player's own wife or girlfriend or drunk girls in bars.

Edit: I suppose, though, that a claim made by a hotel employee at the team hotel could support a negligent hiring COA, so that would be enough reason to background check them.
Overall my point is that companies are more often being found to have some level of responsibility for employees actions outside of work if "work" indirectly put them in those circumstances and they had a past history of those circumstances being a problem- if that makes sense

So yeah, I would check up on them first regardless

Purp

I agree. I hope he's changed himself and lives a successful life having learned a valuable lesson from an egregious mistake.

That said, I don't believe he should be playing in college. If he wants a career in baseball he should be playing in the minors or some foreign league to pay his dues and prove he's trustworthy do not offend again. But a college campus with young women everywhere is a terrible place for a guy with his history.

Punter1

I feel sorry for the victim having this all rehashed....and for the victim's dad who is probably in prison on attempted murder charges.

I know that's where I would be if anyone did that to my 4 yr old daughter.

DickBumpastache

Total mischaracterization to call it a he said/she said

If you are not willing to believe that molestation occurred in this case -- when there is a conviction and a signed admission -- when ARE you willing to believe it actually occurred?

I'm fine with innocent until proven guilty...I'm not fine with 'maybe there's more to the story' after the guilty party confessed. The only presumption I can make in this case is that he admitted his guilt in order to avoid a far more severe sentence on further charges, given that he accepted a plea bargain.