• The KillerFrogs

Deranged Baylor Lady has a meltdown at HEB

Spike

How many people on here think your mask is to protect yourself?

I do have one that supposedly has small bits of silver (which (I never knew was a pretty strong disinfectant) that is supposed to protect both ways. Otherwise I question how effective any of them are. I do understand that the theory is that they protect the general public from the wearer but don't necessarily do much for the wearer.

Froglaw

Dumb. Ignorant.

COVID-19: How much protection do face masks offer?
Get answers to your questions about face masks, including how to use them properly.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

mask-672x336-3950749-0016.jpg

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

So why weren't face masks recommended at the start of the pandemic? At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.

These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.

How do the different types of masks work?

Surgical masks
Also called a medical mask, a surgical mask is a loose-fitting disposable mask that protects the wearer's nose and mouth from contact with droplets, splashes and sprays that may contain germs. A surgical mask also filters out large particles in the air. Surgical masks may protect others by reducing exposure to the saliva and respiratory secretions of the mask wearer.

Again, just wear the mask!

HFrog1999

Get answers to your questions about face masks, including how to use them properly.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

So why weren't face masks recommended at the start of the pandemic? At that time, experts didn't know the extent to which people with COVID-19 could spread the virus before symptoms appeared. Nor was it known that some people have COVID-19but don't have any symptoms. Both groups can unknowingly spread the virus to others.

These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks. The World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) now include face masks in their recommendations for slowing the spread of the virus. The CDC recommends cloth face masks for the public and not the surgical and N95 masks needed by health care providers.

Surgical masks
Also called a medical mask, a surgical mask is a loose-fitting disposable mask that protects the wearer's nose and mouth from contact with droplets, splashes and sprays that may contain germs. A surgical mask also filters out large particles in the air. Surgical masks may protect others by reducing exposure to the saliva and respiratory secretions of the mask wearer.

Lol, we have an entire thread on the other forum discussing the effectiveness of masks and the coronavirus.

This thread is about insane Baylor fans harassing people in stores. If you want to contribute, then please upload a video of you doing the same thing. I beg you though, please wear a Baylor mask an not a TCU one

tenor.gif

tcudoc

Here is how I generally feel about the mask issue. Most people are wearing the least effective type, wearing it improperly, or constantly adjusting it (likely contaminating their hands). That being said, it likely helps a small amount. Surgical masks would be much better and N-95s even far better than that. The intention of masks is both to protect the wearer as well as the people the wearer comes into contact with. The effectiveness of either goal is dependent upon the type of mask worn, the fit, whether it is worn properly, etc.
This paper was published prior to COVID-19 so, it is hopefully without bias or political motivation, which may not be true for the most recent studies, IMHO.

upload_2020-12-28_7-24-26.png

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Surgical masks

Good lord... You're a lawyer fer crying out loud. Can you not read: "...combined with other preventative measures..."? The weasel-words destroy their case right off the bat.

As the entire other thread points out time and again, an N95 mask is a highly specialized, carefully fitted, one-use-only device. Those who wear them properly tend to get bruises on their cheeks from pressure differentials, as the mask, when fitted properly, closes off most air flow. They are used once because it is judged that particulates gather on the exterior, and interior surfaces, which could infect if worn in front of another patient. These are not the same thing as the imbecile one-ply thing illustrated above. Apple-Llama.

The one-ply cotton face diaper illustrated above doesn't do crap to restrict airflow, or filter virus-sized particulates. It does, however, tend to gather and hold moisture and large particulates, leading to bacterial contamination. Remember bacteria? Viruses larger and more deadly pals? Yeah, by wearing the face-diaper you're increasing your bacterial load. Oh, if you wash your mask daily in hot water, you won't have such a problem, but if you haven't bothered to wash the thing ever, then you are likely exposing yourself to a vastly increased bacterial load into your lungs and bronchial areas. And, yes, there has been a greatly increased incidence of bacterial infection (commonly called pneumonia), including Legionnaire's Disease from wearing dirty face-diapers.

So, no. I will not wear the face-diaper. It is useless from a disease control standpoint, and could cause actual harm all by itself. Additionally, the cult-like belief that it is a magic talisman that somehow wards you from disease is just wishcasting. Worse, the cult-like mindset then channels blame to those who do not adhere to the cult's rituals. The Unbelievers are the ones who spread disease!

No.

HFrog1999

Good lord... You're a lawyer fer crying out loud. Can you not read: "...combined with other preventative measures..."? The weasel-words destroy their case right off the bat.

As the entire other thread points out time and again, an N95 mask is a highly specialized, carefully fitted, one-use-only device. Those who wear them properly tend to get bruises on their cheeks from pressure differentials, as the mask, when fitted properly, closes off most air flow. They are used once because it is judged that particulates gather on the exterior, and interior surfaces, which could infect if worn in front of another patient. These are not the same thing as the imbecile one-ply thing illustrated above. Apple-Llama.

The one-ply cotton face diaper illustrated above doesn't do crap to restrict airflow, or filter virus-sized particulates. It does, however, tend to gather and hold moisture and large particulates, leading to bacterial contamination. Remember bacteria? Viruses larger and more deadly pals? Yeah, by wearing the face-diaper you're increasing your bacterial load. Oh, if you wash your mask daily in hot water, you won't have such a problem, but if you haven't bothered to wash the thing ever, then you are likely exposing yourself to a vastly increased bacterial load into your lungs and bronchial areas. And, yes, there has been a greatly increased incidence of bacterial infection (commonly called pneumonia), including Legionnaire's Disease from wearing dirty face-diapers.

So, no. I will not wear the face-diaper. It is useless from a disease control standpoint, and could cause actual harm all by itself. Additionally, the cult-like belief that it is a magic talisman that somehow wards you from disease is just wishcasting. Worse, the cult-like mindset then channels blame to those who do not adhere to the cult's rituals. The Unbelievers are the ones who spread disease!

No.

How effective is face painting?

baylorbros.gif

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Worn one once. Could barely breathe.
Quick note, but as a woodworker I have several respirators and dust masks for various materials (from cancerous MDF to VOC filled finished like lacquer) but the worse substance I've dealt with required a complete N100 rated NIOSH face respirator AND goggles that sealed around my eyes. That was back when I was grinding our concrete floor to prepare it for the glue down flooring I installed. The silica dust in the concrete will get trapped in your lungs and shave years off your life. It was a hot, terrible experience wearing all of that PPE but when you're dealing with particle sizes that small and that dangerous you have to make sure you're safe. Now, what does dangerous, cancer inducing concrete dust have to do with this topic of COVID-19? Simple: the particle sizes are identical. Give that a thought next time you put on that mask Grandma made for you.

LSU Game Attendee

s.

These discoveries led public health groups to do an about-face on face masks.
This bit by the Mayo clinc is complete nonsense, IMO. N95 masks were discouraged in order to help ensure supplies remained available for medical teams.

While it was 100% legitimate to try to make the right equipment available for care-providers, the plebe-handling technique of spreading "masks don't work" misinformation was Fauci's biggest of many asshoe moves.

Eight

This bit by the Mayo clinc is complete nonsense, IMO. N95 masks were discouraged in order to help ensure supplies remained available for medical teams.

While it was 100% legitimate to try to make the right equipment available for care-providers, the plebe-handling technique of spreading "masks don't work" misinformation was Fauci's biggest of many asshoe moves.

no, no, no.....when trump made similar comments about the masks it was an arsehole move, but when fauci did so he was merely taking benevolent action to protect us from ourselves

TxFrog1999

In a way Fauci was correct, as masks do not work if the public by and large have no idea how to properly handle and/or use a mask to keep the area sterile. And as we've all seen countless times by now that certainly is the case. However, the arrogant way he communicates his points has caused far more derision during this pandemic than is necessary. If he would just simply say that medical personnel require these masks as they're in close proximity with infected individuals are are trained on their proper use, then all would have been okay. But it appears with each passing day that Fauci is another in a long list of academics who believe that the masses are idiots and can't handle the truth so they should be pandered to and talked down to like children.

TxFrog1999

How effective is holding three fingers up in the air, waving your hand and going "woo woo woo" after the expert says AND...IT'S...THIRD...DOWN!!!
I'd say it's far more effective than dancing like an idiot or wearing knock off Gay-Pride Phantom masks and hopping around like you're being groped by the Baylor Line.

P.S. I've seen the WOOO work it's magic too many times in Lupton to disparage its use in The Carter.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Quick note, but as a woodworker I have several respirators and dust masks for various materials (from cancerous MDF to VOC filled finished like lacquer) but the worse substance I've dealt with required a complete N100 rated NIOSH face respirator AND goggles that sealed around my eyes. That was back when I was grinding our concrete floor to prepare it for the glue down flooring I installed. The silica dust in the concrete will get trapped in your lungs and shave years off your life. It was a hot, terrible experience wearing all of that PPE but when you're dealing with particle sizes that small and that dangerous you have to make sure you're safe. Now, what does dangerous, cancer inducing concrete dust have to do with this topic of COVID-19? Simple: the particle sizes are identical. Give that a thought next time you put on that mask Grandma made for you.
I was at a friend's shop watching him work on a piece of lovely wood. He handed me a mask. "What's this for?"
"I'm cutting Brazilian Tulipwood. The dust is poisonous."

I wore the mask.