• The KillerFrogs

DEFENSIVE STRUGGLES

Can someone shed some light on our defensive struggles this year? I am curious as to why we seem so challenged when it comes to pressuring the QB and preventing big plays in the passing game. I have watched all 4 games and it seems our interior D line is small and does little to get to the QB. In the past we have been blessed with a string of stud DE but this year nothing. In addition, I know we lost a lot of talent/experience in the secondary but we have had to replace talent before and remained successful. This year our DL seems small and unable to control line of scrimmage and our secondary appears slow to react. Did we miss on recruits or is it something else?

bscttyb

Don't think we have missed on recruits, plenty of talent on the field.

I believe it has to do with youth at a the secondary positions. The interior D-line is not attacking as much, because our run defense with the safeties is not where it needs to be. They are laying back more to make sure they can help stop the run.

Consequently, they aren't getting after the QB as much.

The secondary seems to be getting better. They are starting to play more free and not thinking as much.
Once this gets better, this Defense will be a whole lot better and the D-line should be able to get after the QB more.

* I have know idea if this is true, this is just what I see.

Can someone shed some light on our defensive struggles this year? I am curious as to why we seem so challenged when it comes to pressuring the QB and preventing big plays in the passing game. I have watched all 4 games and it seems our interior D line is small and does little to get to the QB. In the past we have been blessed with a string of stud DE but this year nothing. In addition, I know we lost a lot of talent/experience in the secondary but we have had to replace talent before and remained successful. This year our DL seems small and unable to control line of scrimmage and our secondary appears slow to react. Did we miss on recruits or is it something else?

I would use the SMU, SDSU, and BYU games as a measuring stick. If you're not pleased after, then come back and let's talk..

To this point, we:

- got beat by an experienced Baylor who, to this point, is starting a QB that has more TD completions than incompletions...
- handled a senior laden AF offense on the road (mind I say, after an emotional game at Baylor)
- despite a couple slow starts, have looked great on defense against two lesser opponents.

It is a very young defense that learns and grows exponentially each week... we're going to be fine

maximilian

We do have a stud DE: Stansly Maponga. He's replicated his major stats from 2010 (3 TFL's, 2.5 sacks, 1 PD) in 1/3 of the games! Also, he's already forced 3 fumbles, tied for 3rd in Division 1 (albeit with like 7 other guys).

4th. down

Don't think we have missed on recruits, plenty of talent on the field.

I believe it has to do with youth at a the secondary positions. The interior D-line is not attacking as much, because our run defense with the safeties is not where it needs to be. They are laying back more to make sure they can help stop the run.

Consequently, they aren't getting after the QB as much.

The secondary seems to be getting better. They are starting to play more free and not thinking as much.
Once this gets better, this Defense will be a whole lot better and the D-line should be able to get after the QB more.

* I have know idea if this is true, this is just what I see.

Well, were are light in the interior with Yendry and Johnson, both under 280lbs. (glad we don't play Wisc. this yr.) and starting. Our DE's are very good, Mopanga & BB. Carder hurt and Brock out makes a different. Let's see how Verrett does with SMU. If he's ok. then I think the defense as a group can get us by everyone except BSU - don't know if anyone can beat them.

ross

KMA
several reasons
1 youth youth and more youth
the safeties in particular are young
one coenwr is new
the D tackles are mainly new (DJ is the only one with experience playing regularly

2 GP's defense is extremely complex and to "play with leverage" as GP's calls it does not just mean getting low against your man. Leverage to GP means being in the right position for every plan. some times lining up a foot or two to the inside or outside of your man can make all the difference in the outcome of the play.

3 Because of the need to help the secondary and avoid man coverage when posible GP has called less blitzes this year.

The key thing to look for is improvement from week to week. For example Verett was totally lost in the Baylor game biting on every play fake and usually out of position. In the last game he played with much more confidence and know more about where he was supposed to be. Similarly the D tackles got no push up the middle in the first game but have improved each week.

This is a young team playing many talented but inexperienced sophmores and freshmen. Be patient and give them time.

Screaming Flea

It's been tough for them and have been caught looking poor on a number of occasions. TCU's defense has not seen many of the offensive sets thrown at them this year. For instance, Portland State ran a number of complicated pass sets that our freshmen and sophomore's have never seen before. Gary even complicated PS on their inventiveness. That's saying something for Gary to recognize that publically

This week against smu, it is an offense they've seen before so I expect a much improved performance (better....they'll need it for smu).

UltimateFrog

1) Inexperienced FS -- unfortunately this one isn't getting any better come next year.

2) Young corner -- should get better. Saw improvement last week from Verrett. That interception was essentially his interception, Tank just happened to be in the right place.

3) Corner going backwards in development -- no need for explanation.

4) No Tanner Brock. He is really good.

5) D-Line is better than last year. Sophomore Maponga and Broughton is a step up from freshman Maponga and Daniels.

Cuba and the SS have been fairly solid this year.... Tank has been sub-par, but has been injured from the start. They will be fine by Boise if no more injuries. We really need Fobbs and Verrett to continue to improve.

neutral observer

1) Inexperienced FS -- unfortunately this one isn't getting any better come next year.

2) Young corner -- should get better. Saw improvement last week from Verrett. That interception was essentially his interception, Tank just happened to be in the right place.

3) Corner going backwards in development -- no need for explanation.

4) No Tanner Brock. He is really good.

5) D-Line is better than last year. Sophomore Maponga and Broughton is a step up from freshman Maponga and Daniels.

Cuba and the SS have been fairly solid this year.... Tank has been sub-par, but has been injured from the start. They will be fine by Boise if no more injuries. We really need Fobbs and Verrett to continue to improve.

Agree! Time and no more injuries will tell.

Screaming Flea

Sad thing is you may actually believe that.

Chad is a good guy but the genius behind our defense-- hardly

RE: Rod-dog..a tt homer and lawyer of lesser fame

Stirring the pot. The dog is good at that. He knows full well Chad cannot take credit for TCU's defensive skills. Somehow in his mind it makes texastech better and makes you have a negative vibe or two.. Dog your a candidate to read the latest article on Gary Patterson in Sports Illustrated Vault.