• The KillerFrogs

Death of Chancellor William Tucker

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My father was in his divinity graduation class at Brite. Bill Tucker as a student also bought my Grandfather’s used VW Karmengia sports car convertible back when he was Distinguished Professor of Church History & Dean of the Graduate School.

Virginia Frog

I knew this day was coming and am sorry it is here today. Dr Tucker was a gentle-man who had a gentle touch. And he was a fundraising beast. I was pleased then (and today) to have contributed to the construction of The Tucker Technology Building. The engineering program was developed early in his tenure as it was considered as a requisite program to the University’s long term strength. I attended TCU Neeley Business School along with daughter/cheerleader Jan and THAT, to all you youngsters out there, was a PRIVILEGE! My best to his family and community.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My memory of Tucker was how he walked around campus, always looking for students to talk to. Good man.
Yes I was in the old student center cafeteria sitting in a booth with a fellow drummer across the table. We were sitting in the corner and I looked up and just barely saw Chancellor Tucker about to leave the cafeteria. I had no time to compose a legible greeting so I just blurted out hey Bill! He stopped immediately turned saw me came over and sat down across from me and next to my drummer friend who had no idea what was happening. Bill immediately greeted me and asked how my family was and we had a small talk while the entire time my drummer friend who is now sitting next to the chancellor has frozen in mid fork from plate to mouth And stayed that way through the entire two minute conversation. Bill wrapped it up and said he had to get back to the office and just said sorta hi to my drummer friend as he left. Then my friend asked me how the hell I knew the chancellor of the university and finally finished his bite.

Virginia Frog

I had no time to compose a legible greeting so I just blurted out hey Bill! He stopped immediately turned saw me came over and sat down across from me and next to my drummer friend who had no idea what was happening. Bill immediately greeted me and asked how my family was and we had a small talk while the entire time my drummer friend who is now sitting next to the chancellor has frozen in mid fork from plate to mouth And stayed that way through the entire two minute conversation. Bill wrapped it up and said he had to get back to the office and just said sorta hi to my drummer friend as he left.
I first met “Bill” at a pre-game alum dinner prior to the UNC game in Chapel Hill (1994) and had a very nice conversation with him and AD Frank W. The next year in Nashville vs Vandy, the afternoon of the night game, I was sightseeing at The Parthenon there and bang I run into him... he remembers my name! It was just him and the Mrs and his youth best friend from Wilmington, NC - he grew up there (hometown of Michael Jordan!). I was wearing a purple sweater which he covertly grabs and holds me while we talk - and he wasn’t letting me go while we chatted. He was a real “people person.”

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Always a kind man, with an air of near-Roman dignity. A friend of mine was up in the old press box in the magical '84 season, waiting on the elevator. I think we had just beaten Kansas State 45-10. The doors opened, and Earnest stepped in. To his surprise, Chancellor Tucker, who was speaking to several people nearby with his usual understated dignity, quickly darted into the elevator for the ride down. He was all calm and quiet for a moment, then turned to Earnest and hollered and began jumping with excitement. The two of them whooped and hollered until the elevator neared the bottom, and the Chancellor calmed down, straightened his jacket and tie, and said, "That was fun!" The doors opened, and he stepped out, just as calm and cool as usual.

Chancellor Tucker spoke to a fund raiser at River Oaks C.C. in Houston in the early 90s. He began his little speech with a perfect jest, which his dignified mien only helped: "Where I grew up, in West Virginia, what you call a seven course meal, we call a possum and a six-pack."

It's a little dusty in here...

Last edited:

tjcoffice

I was there when he was first hired. We had an group known as Tom Brown/Jarvis. We met every week - very casual sort of meetings. There would typically be many of us sitting on the floor. We as a group did not care much for his predecessor, Moudy. Tucker came to one of our meetings - promptly, no hesitation, took off hs coat and sat on the floor with the rest of us. He was someone we could all admire.