• The KillerFrogs

Daily Skiff: Record-breaking crowd turns out for Horned Frogs baseball

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com/media/s...l-3906046.shtml

[SIZE=14pt]Record-breaking crowd turns out for Horned Frogs baseball[/SIZE]

Kylie Osterloh

The No. 10 TCU Horned Frogs (24-7) won their fourth straight game against Texas A&M (20-11-1) in front of a record-breaking crowd of 4,375 at Lupton Stadium on Tuesday night.

The senior pitching duo of Paul Gerrish and Tyler Lockwood led the team's defensive dominance by only allowing one run.

"The defense was the story of the night," said head coach Jim Schlossnagle.

Gerrish started on the mound and pitched four and a third solid innings, allowing only a solo home run by junior left fielder Joaquin Hinojosa in the fifth.

"When Gerrish finds his fastball on the outer half of the plate, you've got to swing the bat to beat him," Schlossnagle said. "When he starts to elevate the ball in the breaking ball or slider, you know it fast, and that's why we got him out."

Lockwood replaced Gerrish in the fifth and inherited two runners with one out, but immediately caused sophomore center fielder Scott Arthur to ground out into a double play.

"(Lockwood is) a strike thrower and he's even-keeled emotionally," Schlossnagle said. "He's been money in the bank since he walked on campus."

Lockwood (4-2) pitched the remainder of the game and picked up the win in relief.

TCU gathered its first two runs during its first turn at bat. Senior first baseman Matt Curry led the offensive stand by driving sophomore outfielder Jason Coats home on a double to left center and later scored an unearned run on an error by A&M senior shortstop Brodie Greene.

Coats recorded three RBIs in the fifth and seventh innings to establish TCU's lead.

Sophomore Taylor Featherston scored an unearned run on a throwing error by the Aggies' junior catcher Kevin Gonzalez in the fifth, but his defensive performance in the final inning ensured the Horned Frogs' victory.

Featherston made the first out of the inning following his error and snagged a ball up the center to turn a double play to end the game.

"Everyone's just relaxed as a team," said Featherston. "We know we're capable to play with anyone in the country."

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Apr 15 2010, 09:25 AM) [snapback]544982[/snapback]
That is the first non-cringe inducing baseball article from the Skiff this season.

Left out the score, but other than that ...

SnoSki

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 02:38 PM) [snapback]544989[/snapback]
Left out the score, but other than that ...

That, and the fact that the first sentence makes it sound like we've won 4 in a row from the Aggies.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Apr 15 2010, 09:40 AM) [snapback]544991[/snapback]
That, and the fact that the first sentence makes it sound like we've won 4 in a row from the Aggies.

That was my thought exactly. I always cringe when reading these baseball stories. But I still read them thinking a train wreck is coming.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 06:30 AM) [snapback]544937[/snapback]
http://media.www.tcudailyskiff.com/media/s...l-3906046.shtml

[SIZE=14pt]Record-breaking crowd turns out for Horned Frogs baseball[/SIZE]

Kylie Osterloh

The No. 10 TCU Horned Frogs (24-7) won their fourth straight game against Texas A&M (20-11-1) in front of a record-breaking crowd of 4,375 at Lupton Stadium on Tuesday night.

The senior pitching duo of Paul Gerrish and Tyler Lockwood led the team's defensive dominance by only allowing one run.

"The defense was the story of the night," said head coach Jim Schlossnagle.

Gerrish started on the mound and pitched four and a third solid innings, allowing only a solo home run by junior left fielder Joaquin Hinojosa in the fifth.

"When Gerrish finds his fastball on the outer half of the plate, you've got to swing the bat to beat him," Schlossnagle said. "When he starts to elevate the ball in the breaking ball or slider, you know it fast, and that's why we got him out."

Lockwood replaced Gerrish in the fifth and inherited two runners with one out, but immediately caused sophomore center fielder Scott Arthur to ground out into a double play.

"(Lockwood is) a strike thrower and he's even-keeled emotionally," Schlossnagle said. "He's been money in the bank since he walked on campus."

Lockwood (4-2) pitched the remainder of the game and picked up the win in relief.

TCU gathered its first two runs during its first turn at bat. Senior first baseman Matt Curry led the offensive stand by driving sophomore outfielder Jason Coats home on a double to left center and later scored an unearned run on an error by A&M senior shortstop Brodie Greene.

Coats recorded three RBIs in the fifth and seventh innings to establish TCU's lead.

Sophomore Taylor Featherston scored an unearned run on a throwing error by the Aggies' junior catcher Kevin Gonzalez in the fifth, but his defensive performance in the final inning ensured the Horned Frogs' victory.

Featherston made the first out of the inning following his error and snagged a ball up the center to turn a double play to end the game.

"Everyone's just relaxed as a team," said Featherston. "We know we're capable to play with anyone in the country."

OK, how much does Lupton seat? I guess there was standing-room-only attendance that got it over 4,300?
Are there not editors at The Skiff?

Frogenstein

I agree that the article has its issues but it is much better than the stuff the Skiff's sports editor was churning out. He uses proper baseball terminolgy such as runs insead of points. At the very least it reads like the reporter has actually been to a baseball game before writing the article. Which is a big improvement for the Skiff.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(Frogenstein @ Apr 15 2010, 11:34 AM) [snapback]545080[/snapback]
I agree that the article has its issues but it is much better than the stuff the Skiff's sports editor was churning out. He uses proper baseball terminolgy such as runs insead of points. At the very least it reads like the reporter has actually been to a baseball game before writing the article. Which is a big improvement for the Skiff.

I don't know leaving the score out of a story is pretty bad.

This paragraph wasn't very good either. Just seemed very 1930s or 1940s. The words gathered, turn and stand give a very arcane feel to me.

What's wrong writing this?

TCU got off to a fast start in the first inning when senior first baseman Matt Curry doubled home Jason Coats. Curry put the Horned Frogs up 2-0 when he scored on a throwing error by Aggie shortstop Brodie Greene.

It's just me but I'm really not a big fan of putting classes in a story unless it is really pertinent.

Also it's up the middle not up the center.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 15 2010, 11:34 AM) [snapback]545079[/snapback]
OK, how much does Lupton seat? I guess there was standing-room-only attendance that got it over 4,300?

I believe there are around 3500 seats at the stadium, which were sold out. The remaining 800ish attendees were SRO.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 15 2010, 11:34 AM) [snapback]545079[/snapback]

They were on our version of the berm ...

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 01:01 PM) [snapback]545140[/snapback]
They were on our version of the berm ...

Isn't this on our version of the berm?
3118018428_fdb46dc2ff.jpg

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(2314 @ Apr 15 2010, 01:36 PM) [snapback]545157[/snapback]
Isn't this on our version of the berm?
3118018428_fdb46dc2ff.jpg

Sadly, there was no room for sledding on the hill Tuesday evening.

Also, does anyone have a list of the top attendance figures for Lupton Stadium? Just wondering how many of 'em I've been to.