• The KillerFrogs

CWS Game Thread: TCU vs. Coastal Carolina (Tuesday, 8 pm)

TCUdirtbag

2016_cws_logo_0.png
 ​
GAME 8 / TUESDAY / 8 PM
 ​
#3 TCU
48-16 (overall), 10-2 (postseason)​
RPI #6, 14-7 (vs. RPI top 50)​
Runs/game: 7.1 (offense), 3.7 (defense)​
 ​
vs.
 ​
#5 Coastal Carolina*
50-16 (overall), 10-1 (postseason)​
RPI #5, 12-9 (vs. RPI top 50)​
Runs/game: 7.4 (offense), 4.2 (defense)​
*designated home team
 ​
WATCH / STREAM / LISTEN / FOLLOW
 ​
TV:  ESPN
TV Stream:  WatchESPN (login)
TCU Radio Stream:  FrogVision (free)
SiriusXM:  College Sports Nation
Live Stats:  StatBroadcast
Tweets:  NCAA TCU | Coastal
 ​
PITCHING MATCHUP
 ​
Jr RHP Brian Howard
Season Stats
9-2, 16 starts in 16 appearances, 3.29 era​
93.0 ip, 74 h, 35 r, 34 er, 27 bb, 86 so, .224 b/avg​
Super Regional Game 3, at Texas A&M
W, 7.0 ip, 111 pitches​
2 h, 1 r, 0 er, 2 bb, 8 so, 0 wp, 0 hbp, 0 blk​
23 ab, 26 bf, 6 fo, 7 go​
Regional Final, vs. Arizona State
W, 8.0 ip, 94 pitches​
4 h, 1 r, 1 er, 0 bb, 9 so, 0 wp, 0 hbp, 0 blk​
28 ab, 28 bf, 9 fo, 6 go​
Big 12 Tournament vs. Texas
W, 6.0 ip, 86 pitches​
5 h, 2 r, 2 er, 2 bb, 5 so, 1 wp, 0 hbp, 0 blk​
20 ab, 24 bf, 7 fo, 5 go​
 ​
vs.
 ​
Jr RHP Alex Cunningham
Season Stats
9-3, 15 starts in 19 appearances, 3.58 era​
105.2 ip, 102 h, 48 r, 42 er, 34 bb, 91 so, .254 b/avg​
Super Regional Game 2, at LSU
7.1 ip, 99 pitches​
10 h, 2 r, 2 er, 1 bb, 1 so, 30 ab, 32 bf​
CCU won 4-3; LSU had 12 LOB​
Regional Game 2, at NC State
W, 5.1 ip, 83 pitches​
4 h, 0 r, 0 er, 2 bb, 6 so, 20 ab, 23 bf​
CCU won 4-0; Sr RHP Mike Morrison pitched 3.2 shutout innings in relief of Cunningham (this was the weird game that was suspended in the 9th and resumed the next day)​
Big South Tournament Game 1, vs. Radford
6.0 ip, 91 pitches​
6 h, 2 r, 2 er, 0 bb, 5 so, 23 ab, 25 bf​
CCU won 7-5, Fr LHP Austin Kitchen gave up 3 runs in 1.0 ip, then Sr RHP Mike Morrison pitched 2.0 shutout innings and the Chants broke the tie in the bottom of the 8th to win​

TCUdirtbag

Non-statsy pitching notes:

(1) Howard has been really good in the last 3 weeks.

(2) Cunningham is a really good righty, and he performed really well under pressure in front of a huge hostile crowd at LSU to hold the Tigers to 3 runs while stranding 12. Has gotten better in each of his 3 postseason starts. 

(3) With CCU's starter getting a complete game on Sunday available, their entire bullpen is available.  With the winner of tonight's game not having to play until Friday night, expect CCU to empty the bullpen to try and get the W. 

(4) Their best reliever is Sr RHP Mike Morrison (7-1, 1.06 era in 31 appearances/59.2 ip). Fortunately for TCU, he's a righty. Unfortunately for TCU, he's been really good in the postseason.  Their best lefty reliever is Fr LHP Austin Kitchen (4-0, 3.19 era in 21 appearances/42.1 ip), but he got beat up pretty bad by Radford in the Big South Tournament opener a couple weeks ago. 

Expect a low-scoring affair again tonight.  5 is the most runs scored in any CWS game thus far this year (which I believe has been hit in 3 games). 

nwlafrog

I asked in another thread, but I'll just double post/ask in here for the GameDay thread.

Is Cunningham CCU's pitcher with multiple releases? If so, then I wonder how it could affect our base stealing and our hitters being able pick up pitches. The guy looked good from the game that I watched. If he has command of his arsenal through both of his throwing styles then he's going to be difficult to run on for sure. Guy goes submarine one pitch and then over the top the next.

Raw Frog

Would be a grand time for some of our guys to really break out with some hits early...
Maybe we will cross them up with a sac bunt along the way...kind of like throwing to the TE in football.
Go Frogs!!! 

Raw Frog

They will probably walk Luken every time.  This raises the question of whether we should flip him and Skoug in the batting lineup.  Have Luken bat 3, and Skoug at 4. 
I think it would be a good move.

TCUdirtbag

Say a prayer for Micah today. He's had more pain this week, but he's still traveling up to Omaha. 

I'm sure this was posted, but this 3:30 video the NCAA put together with Micah, Schloss, Traver, Skoug and Howard will put baseball, the game, and your own problems and stress into perspective: http://www.ncaa.com/video/baseball/2016-06-18/college-world-series-baseball-tcu-micah-ahern-feature Love the Frogs and hope they with, but damn there's a lot more to life than a game. Go Micah. Go Frogs. 

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Bench Cron!

We're screwed!

Bench Baker!

(any newbies, or Luken's family--it's a bit.  No one here actually thinks Luken should be benched.)

Deep Purple

As much as I want to see the Frogs win tonight for Micah, it would be a mistake to rate a win so highly that they put too much pressure on themselves.

We saw how that worked for the Aggies.  They were so focused on revenge, they forgot to play baseball.  They played tight and anxious while the Frogs were loose and relaxed.

The lesson to be learned from Micah isn't necessarily that you win.  It's that you always fight, win or lose.  Even if the world overcomes you, enjoy the moment while you can, and never let your spirit be dampened or defeated.

We don't play for anything as transient as a win.  Win or lose, we play for Micah.

Armadillo

I'd like to see 2 things happen this evening:

1. Frogs win our first CWS Game 2.  

2. Connor Wanhanen have a big game at the plate.

(Why Connor you ask?  Because every time he comes to the plate I trash him and call him names like "RallyKiller", etc, and I feel bad I'm always trashing him and I'm ready to cheer for this young man)

tcudoc

Deep Purple said:
As much as I want to see the Frogs win tonight for Micah, it would be a mistake to rate a win so highly that they put too much pressure on themselves.

We saw how that worked for the Aggies.  They were so focused on revenge, they forgot to play baseball.  They played tight and anxious while the Frogs were loose and relaxed.

The lesson to be learned from Micah isn't necessarily that you win.  It's that you always fight, win or lose.  Even if the world overcomes you, enjoy the moment while you can, and never let your spirit be dampened or defeated.

We don't play for anything as transient as a win.  Win or lose, we play for Micah.
Very well said.  This is about so much more than baseball.  I hope that the team can allow Micah and his family a respite from dealing with the heaviness they deal with on a regular basis.

tcudoc

For Micah's parents.  I am not an expert on this, but may be worth considering to ease Micah's pain.  It is a well established treatment of this type of pain.  Probably worth asking Micah's doctor about.  He may or may not be a good candidate, depending on many different circumstances.

Strontium 89 for Palliation of Bone Metastases

Eashwer K. ReddyRalph G. Robinson, and Carl M. Mansfield

Copyright and License information ►

Abstract
At the University of Kansas Medical Center, systemic use of strontium 89 ([SIZE=.8461em]89[/SIZE]Sr), a betaemitting radioisotope, was evaluated in the treatment of metastatic carcinoma to bone for relief of bone pain. Eighty-five patients were treated with systemic [SIZE=.8461em]89[/SIZE]Sr in the dosage of 30 to 40 μCi/kg. All patients had multiple bone metastases, the majority with primary breast or prostatic cancer. The response to treatment was evaluated by daily diary entries, changes in the amount of pain medication, periodic bone scans, and other laboratory values.
In the patients who survived (47) and who were observed for three or more months, overall results showed 15 percent becoming pain free; 23 percent showed marked improvement with decreased consumption of pain medication; 53 percent showed mild but significant improvement in pain relief and decrease in pain medication requirement; and 9 percent showed no improvement. No patients noted a worsening of bone pain after the treatment. There was a combined favorable response in 91 percent (43/47) of patients with some meaningful palliation after [SIZE=.8461em]89[/SIZE]Sr therapy. This study, using [SIZE=.8461em]89[/SIZE]Sr systemic therapy, suggests that this isotope may be a valuable adjuvant therapy for palliation of pain from metastatic bone lesions.

LisaLT

Is this more of a defensive team or are there any big hitters to watch? I admit I know not too much about CCU. 

I hope we have a great outing today and get a WIN for game 2. I'm very optimistic!

GO FROGS!

Pharm Frog

Road Trip Frog said:
Dirtbag, I thought we only lost one game in the post season.

Probably counting our loss to UT in B12 tournament because we haven't won 10 games in the regionals (3), supers (2), and CWS (1)