• The KillerFrogs

cTu

ZeeFrog

new%20SF%201979.JPG

oh yeah - i always thought this was the creature from
the black lagoon.(in tennis shoes)

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Jim Pittman died of a heart attack on the sideline in 1971? What' happened to the team?

What a night. It was chilly and off and on rain. Not a big crowd, certainly on our side of the field. Not many Frogs fans there as I recall but our family was there.

I don't remember what happened in the game, perhaps we were calling timeout, but something caused me to look to the TCU sideline and I saw Pittman right at the moment he went down. I thought he had tripped on his headphone cord or something. But he didn't get up and everyone circled him.

Later the crowd was told he had died. Of course we were all stunned. TCU rallied and won the game in the second half. Both teams joined, knelt and prayed afterward.

The dark clouds of that evening stayed over the program for about a quarter century it seems.

After a slow start, the team was improving and looked like Pittman was getting it turned around. He and his Tulane staff were a tough bunch.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Pretty sure it's been mentioned on here before, but there was no ambulance in the stadium when he went down. It had taken someone from the press box to the hospital for a case of indigestion. Tarrant County Sherriff Lon Evans had them put Pittman in his TCSO squad car and drove him to the hospital. Although he was listed as dead on arrival, he was most likely dead when he collapsed.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Pretty sure it's been mentioned on here before, but there was no ambulance in the stadium when he went down. It had taken someone from the press box to the hospital for a case of indigestion. Tarrant County Sherriff Lon Evans had them put Pittman in his TCSO squad car and drove him to the hospital. Although he was listed as dead on arrival, he was most likely dead when he collapsed.

It was Buster Brannon.

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=7&showentry=23

BelushiBob

What a night. It was chilly and off and on rain. Not a big crowd, certainly on our side of the field. Not many Frogs fans there as I recall but our family was there.

I don't remember what happened in the game, perhaps we were calling timeout, but something caused me to look to the TCU sideline and I saw Pittman right at the moment he went down. I thought he had tripped on his headphone cord or something. But he didn't get up and everyone circled him.

Later the crowd was told he had died. Of course we were all stunned. TCU rallied and won the game in the second half. Both teams joined, knelt and prayed afterward.

The dark clouds of that evening stayed over the program for about a quarter century it seems.

After a slow start, the team was improving and looked like Pittman was getting it turned around. He and his Tulane staff were a tough bunch.
Thanks

WIN

He and his Tulane staff were a tough bunch.

Gerard Boudreaux on his staff was a great man. His family still resides in the area and follow the frogs.

The promotion of Tohill was the first mistake of many for the administration. Tohill liked to party and ended up getting in a wreck that disabled him, so he coached from a golf cart.