• The KillerFrogs

Craig Thopson to be commish of merged MW/CUSA

NEW YORK – With the Mountain West and Conference USA losing at least five members to the Big East, those two leagues are now looking at an all-sports merger instead of a full-scale football expansion as originally planned, sources told CBSSports.com.

Sources have indicated that Craig Thompson, the current commissioner of the Mountain West, would become the commissioner of the new merged league, while Conference USA commissioner Britton Banowsky would step down.

I believe that I read that the present Big 12 commish company placed Banowsky with Conf USA and he has spoken very highly of him in the past. Is this our next commish? He was with the Big 12 in the past and he knows the players but he had made questionable decisions and slow to react to changes with CUSA.

From His Bio:
Banowsky, a licensed attorney in the state of Texas, has more than 20 years experience as a collegiate conference administrator. He came to Conference USA from the Big 12 Conference, where he has served as Associate Commissioner and General Council. Banowsky was instrumental in laying the organizational foundation for the Big 12 prior to its official launch in July 1996.

He was responsible for management of the Big 12 Conference's legal affairs, including the administration of television, bowl, and championships agreements. He oversaw national policy development, governance and NCAA regulatory matters, as well as assisted the commissioner in strategic planning and the management of the league office. Banowsky also served as a corporate officer and liaison to the league's Board of Directors.

Prior to joining the Big 12, Banowsky was the Commissioner of the Southland Conference. During his tenure at the Southland, the Conference was incorporated and its Board of Directors were engaged. He was also involved in negotiating a multi-year television agreement, founding a corporate sponsorship program, directing a conference-wide initiative to develop women's athletics, and engineering the expansion of the Southland Football League, one of the nation's premier Division I-AA football conferences.

Banowsky was an Assistant Commissioner at the Southland before joining the former Southwest Conference as an Assistant Commissioner. While at the SWC, Banowsky was responsible for the league's legal affairs and compliance activities.

The 50-year-old Banowsky has served on several national committees, including the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) Television Negotiations Committee; the NCAA Division I Management Council; and the NCAA Committee on Academic Performance. He has also served as an officer of the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) and is a current member of the Dallas Assembly.

Born in Los Angeles, Calif., Banowsky has spent most of his professional career in the state of Texas. He is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma, where he earned both a business and a law degree. Banowsky and his wife, Cindy, have three children: Kendall, Brit and Wade.

TCUdirtbag

Wouldn't surprise me if he replaces Neinas. He could UHaul from one las colinas office to the other. I wonder if CT would move to las colinas or if the new league would keep the colorado state HQ. Texas is more central for a conference stretching from hawaii to eastern carolina

Interestingly, the end result of this is 2 nation-wide leagues: Big East & C-USA/MWC. Big East will have 12 and CUSA/MWC will have 16-18.

It looks like the conference realignment is shaking up like this:
Tier One: 5 pseudo-regional "BCS" or BCS-equivalent conferences (PAC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC)
Tier Two: 2 nationwide conferences (MWC-CUSA, Big East)
Tier Three: 3 pseudo-regional distinctly lower-ranked conferences (WAC, MAC, Sun Belt)

Nationwide is starting to look desperate. I hope the Big 12 will fill in its footprint with Louisville and (pipe dream) Notre Dame or (alternate) Cincinnati. I think this protects the league as one of the 5 superior fairly-regional conferences. Obviously the Big 12, being more scattered now, is most susceptible of the Tier One conferences of failing apart, but we'll see.

rifram09

Wouldn't surprise me if he replaces Neinas. He could UHaul from one las colinas office to the other. I wonder if CT would move to las colinas or if the new league would keep the colorado state HQ. Texas is more central for a conference stretching from hawaii to eastern carolina

Interestingly, the end result of this is 2 nation-wide leagues: Big East & C-USA/MWC. Big East will have 12 and CUSA/MWC will have 16-18.

Tier One: 5 pseudo-regional "BCS" or BCS-equivalent conferences (PAC, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC)
Tier Three: 3 pseudo-regional distinctly lower-ranked conferences (WAC, MAC, Sun Belt)

Nationwide is starting to look desperate. I hope the Big 12 will fill in its footprint with Louisville and (pipe dream) Notre Dame or (alternate) Cincinnati. I think this protects the league as one of the 5 superior fairly-regional conferences. Obviously the Big 12, being more scattered now, is most susceptible of the Tier One conferences of failing apart, but we'll see.

That's a pretty fair assessment of where CFB is, I think. But, nobody really doubts that the Big 12 is going to eventually cater if/when we move to the 4x16 major conference scenario, right? :huh:

I mean, the writting is on the wall. The question is, how long before we move to 4x16 conferences? Within the next 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? If the newly formed B12 makes it 10 years, will everyone just get comfortable with what we have and stay put? Who knows?

What we can be fairly sure of, however, is that if one of your 5 major conferences crumbles, it will be the B12, and that will lead to the 4x16 scenario. The next time major realignment happens, it may really be armageddon for those on the outside of the 4x16. TCU isn't out of the woods yet. If we win the B12 a couple of times, win a MythNCG, and continue to grow our fanbase, I think we'll be just fine. If we get complacent, it may be bad news for the Frogs.

I'm just glad TCU is in the B12 for now instead of that Big East mess!

TCUdirtbag

That's a pretty fair assessment of where CFB is, I think. But, nobody really doubts that the Big 12 is going to eventually cater if/when we move to the 4x16 major conference scenario, right? :huh:

Yes, if for no other reason than the location of the Big 12 in between 3 of the 4 other major conferences (B1G, PAC, SEC), I think the Big 12 becomes the natural victim. But I don't think a 4x16 model is a foregone conclusion. I think it's a lot of media hype, but I think the SEC, PAC, and B1G are hesitant to make the party too big.

The determining factor for long-term conference stability will be the next Big 12 Tier 1 TV negotiation, which is one year before the grant of rights expires.

cdsfrog

Honestly, long as the big 12 picks up Louisville, I couldnt care less who they pick up next. The rest all have significant negatives to them but if you have those 11 teams you are good to go.

That conference is easily #2 football, #2 basketball, and #1/2 baseball conference pretty much every year if not better. The 12th team doesn't matter, it just fills a spot to have a conference championship.

I know that the B12 has the potential to be unstable at some point, but I don't know that its inevitable that it has to be. If 4/64 is something that conferences/TV feels has to happen, then that is going to certainly force further reallignment. After that, it just seems like everything will be tied to how satisfied Bevo/OU are with the B12 as the platform for their atheletic programs. All the other schools who wanted to leave and could find a satisfactory landing spot on their own have left.

Hopefully we will see a period of stability with the B12 but if not, we ensure our place by being as committed to success in the B12 as we have been to get there.

gatorfrog

People fixate on 64 for some reason, maybe because it's a power of 2 and therefore divisible by a million different numbers. I honestly think 5x16 works a lot better for the likely motivations of the presidents.

It increases the argument that they've collected all the programs that care about football. It reduces the number of potentially powerful lawsuit filers. It has enough teams for OOC scheduling if there's a complete break, but again, cuts most of the so-called dead-weight. it creates an ODD number of conference champions, which means wild-cards, which means the SEC and B1G will continue to have an avenue to throw their weight around.

Maybe I'm being a Pollyanna, but when I look at it, I just think 5x16 is more likely than 4x16.

Big Frog II

People fixate on 64 for some reason, maybe because it's a power of 2 and therefore divisible by a million different numbers. I honestly think 5x16 works a lot better for the likely motivations of the presidents.

It increases the argument that they've collected all the programs that care about football. It reduces the number of potentially powerful lawsuit filers. It has enough teams for OOC scheduling if there's a complete break, but again, cuts most of the so-called dead-weight. it creates an ODD number of conference champions, which means wild-cards, which means the SEC and B1G will continue to have an avenue to throw their weight around.

Maybe I'm being a Pollyanna, but when I look at it, I just think 5x16 is more likely than 4x16.
I too think 4 x 16 would open up a huge can of worms.

Stiff Arm Frog

As long as we're on the topic, what I'd really like to see the Big12 do is go to a truly regional format. West Virginia and Louisville are nice, but really they're both just waiting around for an invite from the ACC once the SEC takes (enter current ACC team here). That's not exactly stable.

I still say add SMU and Houston, or at least give them a few years of AQ money to see how they manage their success (or lack thereof). Kick out Iowa State who just drain the Big12's resources and see if you can get A&M back in a few years. Then you've basically got the old SWC back, with the Oklahoma and Kansas schools added (GREAT additions, in my opinion) to get to 12.

Yeah, not a lot of geographic diversity, but that kind of diversity is overrated and actually results in lower viewership. Once the advertisers figure that out all these 14 team mega-conferences are gonna look ridiculous

Endless Purple

As long as we're on the topic, what I'd really like to see the Big12 do is go to a truly regional format. West Virginia and Louisville are nice, but really they're both just waiting around for an invite from the ACC once the SEC takes (enter current ACC team here). That's not exactly stable.

I still say add SMU and Houston, or at least give them a few years of AQ money to see how they manage their success (or lack thereof). Kick out Iowa State who just drain the Big12's resources and see if you can get A&M back in a few years. Then you've basically got the old SWC back, with the Oklahoma and Kansas schools added (GREAT additions, in my opinion) to get to 12.

Yeah, not a lot of geographic diversity, but that kind of diversity is overrated and actually results in lower viewership. Once the advertisers figure that out all these 14 team mega-conferences are gonna look ridiculous
Apparently no one told the media that the SWC should have been paid more. If you get too regional, no one outside that region will care about the conference and interest will decline on a whole.

gatorfrog

I thought it was a football-only merger?

Per the article, they're now thinking they'll change their minds and just merge completely instead of adding dead weight from the WAC and SunBelt. The football plan was a hail mary to land a BCS bid and keep Boise et al. The old Wac-16 comes to mind, but they're probably wise to go ahead and try to get into the superconference discussion.