• The KillerFrogs

Congratulations to SMU…

HeidelFrog

From a revenue standpoint we can generate as much from Ford Stadium as other schools can from a 50,000 seat stadium. There are levels to this, but in the end it all comes down to money, and it won't be an object for us.
I was at the TCU at SMU game last year. You had to stand in line for 3 quarters to get a bottle of water. Have been in better HS stadiums. Hope that is fixed.

ECM

I was at the TCU at SMU game last year. You had to stand in line for 3 quarters to get a bottle of water. Have been in better HS stadiums. Hope that is fixed.
Can't relate as I am in a suite. I heard they completely expanded/renovated the concourse level this year

FrogBall09

Ticket sales (and ticket prices) will go through the roof. We want a nationally relevant football program and the money is there...and then some.

I recommend you significantly increase your Flying T Club donation if you want to keep up; Sonny was literally begging you for it last week. NIL is the name of the game now and schools that don't recognize this will be left in the dust (e.g., Baylor losing to freaking Texas State).
You realize we give more NIL to non football athletes at TCU than the entire SMU NIL program….and football giving is over 80% of NIL

Clemsons QB gets more in NIL this year than the entire SMU team for the last 2 years combined

You obviously have zero idea about the financial side of any of this based on the math you are spouting

ECM

You realize we give more NIL to non football athletes at TCU than the entire SMU NIL program….and football giving is over 80% of NIL

Clemsons QB gets more in NIL this year than the entire SMU team for the last 2 years combined

You obviously have zero idea about the financial side of any of this based on the math you are spouting
The Office Lie GIF

froginmn

I have to say, as much as it does feel a little grimy on how we did it, after 25+ years of not being in a "power" conference, and at least 35+ years of not being a nationally relevant program, I really don't care how we did it, as long as it helps us improve on the field. Now is our time to put up or shut up about the DP.
I didn't realize you had to do THAT to get into the ACC...

GAPony

How embarrassing!
It is, but it's true. I don't know if its more so the DP or the fact that we didn't get into the Big 12 originally (probably goes hand in hand). I get the argument that BSU was a JUCO after SMU began playing again.

If I had to go off on a guess, I think it was the total misalignment of admin to athletics, and it took awhile for the admin to care. We had recruits who got into the ivies, but our special academic council denied them. If you have academic standards tougher than the ivies for no good reason, you aren't going to do well on the field.

Endless Purple

As a former college fundraiser, I can promise you that the cash SMU needs to finance facility upgrades, NIL inducements, increased travel costs, etc, is way, WAY beyond $10 mil per year. That is barely a down payment.

All of the reconstruction and improvements TCU has made to Amon Carter Stadium and its supporting facilities (training, compliance, coaching offices, team meeting rooms, film viewing, sports medicine, etc.) from 2008-present total more than $312 million. That averages about $20.8 million per year. And that's just for football stadium and program facilities -- never mind expanded staff, increased payroll (to attract best candidates), upgraded promotional programs for ticket sales, etc. Not to mentioned increased spending for all of these same expenses in basketball and the non-revenue sports, plus NIL, travel costs, etc.

You really think SMU donors are going to quickly bridge this gap? "Quickly" because that's all the time they really have. TCU has a larger student enrollment (especially undergrads, which is where intercollegiate athletics lives), a much larger fan base of both alumni and external constituents, a significantly larger endowment, and a much more storied and prominent athletics reputation, both past and present.

TCU has built these advantages through strategic vision, bold spending, herculean effort, and earned rewards -- not by groveling and prostituting itself, like some schools we could mention.
As usual, completely missed the specifics of the conversation.

IT was strictly about the lost revenue from the AAC media contracts. Nothing to do with stadium donations, unless you are saying those would have been higher in the AAC. Also was not comparing SMU to TCU in any form.

VitnageHornfrog

Let’s not talk up our football stadium. It is a dump too. Smu did spend a lot to put theirs in the ground. If you can remember when we both joined the WAC, we had to have stadiums with 35,000 or more. SMU met that requirement and also had future plans that would double the size.

SMU has the donors and the money to make smu successful if they want too. We have to work twice as hard as they do. They will always be the coke and we will always be the Pepsi. Everyone likes the underdog and that is what we are.

SMU got lucky and yes, we got screwed. All we can do is keep winning games and try to overcome the recruiting obstacle we will have versus SMU.

Let’s face it, now that SMI is playing Clemson, Miami, Florida State and sometimes ND; do you think recruits want to play for a big 12 school like us! We need to use are NIL money. If not we are done!