• The KillerFrogs

Congratulations from an Aggie

bbspot

I've seen a lot of TCU criticism recently on Texags and other sites, and it's got me mad enough to register here and give you guys my congratulations. While other schools have spent the past 15 years sucking on tu's *** or just generally being mediocre, you guys have relentlessly improved your situation to the point that you're now in a much better place than you were even in the SWC days. I get frustrated at my fellow Ags, as well as Tigers and/or our future SEC partners, when they play down TCU and say "it's not A & M". Well, no (I'm going to get Banned if I do not EDIT this Immediately) it's not A & M, but I'm pretty sure that we would trade records with you guys for the past decade.

You guys have done more with less than any school in the country over the past 15 years in my opinion, and I hope that you can take over our spot and continue to BTHO tu in future years.

BABYFACE

Appreciate the kind words. It appears the reality is it took A$M to leave for the SEC to open the door for TCU to the Big 12. I have always thought culturally that A$M would fit well in the SEC.

I cannot imagine A$M vs UT not playing on Thanksgiving. Maybe in a few years once the animosity settles, UT and A$M can resume their Thanksgiving tradition.

bbspot

I got really worked up about the Thanksgiving Day game originally, but I just don't see how Dodds can backtrack on this now. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a push for a renewed rivalry, but for now I wouldn't be surprised if even then it just kind of wilts and dies. Regardless, I don't care if you guys play them on Thanksgiving, Halloween, or July 4th, just kick their ***!

froginaustin

I got really worked up about the Thanksgiving Day game originally, but I just don't see how Dodds can backtrack on this now. Maybe in 5-10 years there will be a push for a renewed rivalry, but for now I wouldn't be surprised if even then it just kind of wilts and dies. Regardless, I don't care if you guys play them on Thanksgiving, Halloween, or July 4th, just kick their ***!

That's pretty near what happened with the TCU/Baylor rivalry when the old conference blew up. TCU had an old fart athletic director who apparently was offered a deal by Baylor that he didn't much like, and rather than counteroffer he went public with a "we'll never play Baylor in any sport ever again" or some such.

That state of affairs no doubt hurt TCU more than Baylor, because we were more hurting for nearby OOC opponents than they were. But after that AD passed from the scene and people with less bitterness took over, mutually advantageous deals were made.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the A&M/Texas Turkey Day game came back, at least now and then, after Dodds is out of the picture.

bbspot

Thanks!

I'm guessing ags call you a 2%er :laugh:

Naw, I was in the Corps and was extremely involved in school activities when I was a student. I didn't miss a home game in 5 years, and I still get together with my buddies and go to several games a year 20 years after I graduated.

And honestly, what would they say, anyway? You guys kicked *** on the field for a solid decade, culminating with a Rose Bowl win and very nearly a National Title. Your fanbase is 1/5 the size of ours, your athletic budget is 1/2 of ours, etc etc etc. I love my school, and recently we've been doing great, with significant improvement in football and 2 consecutive top 10 Director's Cup finishes, but we definitely let things slip during our time in the Big 12 overall. Plus you typically kick the crap out of baylro, which will endear to any true Aggie's heart these days.

That's pretty near what happened with the TCU/Baylor rivalry when the old conference blew up. TCU had an old fart athletic director who apparently was offered a deal by Baylor that he didn't much like, and rather than counteroffer he went public with a "we'll never play Baylor in any sport ever again" or some such.

That state of affairs no doubt hurt TCU more than Baylor, because we were more hurting for nearby OOC opponents than they were. But after that AD passed from the scene and people with less bitterness took over, mutually advantageous deals were made.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the A&M/Texas Turkey Day game came back, at least now and then, after Dodds is out of the picture.

Baylor got into the Big XII and then promptly insulted us by offering us a 2 for 1, after playing us for nearly 100 years. Thats a load of crap and I'm glad that we did not accept.

The Baylor AD at that time acted like a d!ck.

Houston Frog

Playing an SEC West schedule plus the University of Texas annually would be quite a challenge. Ags would probably have the #1 SOS in the country almost every year if they kept the UT game.

I'll miss watching/listening to the UT/A&M game every Thanksgiving, but would understand if A&M didn't want to keep it up (even though I know it's Dodds who is standing in the corner with his arms crossed right now)

bbspot

No, that would be me. I don't even own a maroon shirt anymore, unless my 20-year-old 12th man jersey is up in the attic somewhere.

Haha, I still have most of my shirts from college. They don't fit quite as well anymore, especially the outfit T from my fish year. Uh, maybe it's because it's been washed too many times...

BUGrad95

Baylor got into the Big XII and then promptly insulted us by offering us a 2 for 1, after playing us for nearly 100 years. Thats a load of crap and I'm glad that we did not accept.

The Baylor AD at that time acted like a d!ck.

The Baylor AD at that time (who really had no business being an AD) then went on to neglect Baylor athletics with the blessing of the President, and Baylor athletics slipped into oblivian for over a decade. There is a lot of animosity from Baylor fans toward the administration during that time. They pretty much took the approach "well, we're in a big boy league now, so lets just sit back and do nothing." I'd like to think that had Baylor been left out, that we would have been able to do what TCU did, but I don't think we would have. In fact, I think that they would have just given up on athletics altogether.

Also, nice OP. I have lots of friends and family that are Aggies, and they are great people, and productive members of society. But, if you judged an Aggie by what is on TexAgs, you'd never know. Of course, the same could probably be said about BaylorFans. Regardless, the state of Texas now has one more AQ school, possibly three more if UH and SMU go to the Big East. I guess in the grand scheme of things, everything worked out like it was supposed to.

Frog-in-law1995

Haha, I still have most of my shirts from college. They don't fit quite as well anymore, especially the outfit T from my fish year. Uh, maybe it's because it's been washed too many times...
I kept my fish camp shirt and a dorm shirt for a while, but they hardly fit by the time I graduated. Can't blame the washings...it was all Sbisa and this new place on University called Freebirds. :biggrin: Northgate was not the best place for me to live.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Aggies are now in the SEC and Frogs back-filling into the Big-XII...and we owe it all to the LHN.

Who says good can't come from the most evil of intentions? The Man Upstairs can get pretty subtle in the tools he chooses to use.

HoustonHornedFrog

Will you now change your school song?

It won't really seem the same when atm and ut aren't playing any more will it.
Thanks to the OP. Good post. I would like his take on the song thing.
I know that atm is not the only school who has a fight song directed at a rival, but I've
always thought it gave UT too much credit to be the focus of the atm song.

bbspot

I know that atm is not the only school who has a fight song directed at a rival, but I've

I could see it changing if we don't play them for 10 or 15 years, but at first it will just have a different meaning. And really, wouldn't any bowl in the country just love to match us against each other in the coming years? Right now the Cotton is the only mutual big 12/SEC bowl tie-in, but I could see the SEC looking at the Alamo/Sun/etc as well in the future now that they have a presence in Texas.

Of course, thats assuming that the 'sips actually qualify for a bowl game again one of these days. Hopefully, you guys will do your part to make that as unlikely as possible!

Frog-in-law1995

A&M is the focus of the Texas fight song as well. The first line is:
"Texas Fight, Texas Fight,
And it's goodbye to A&M."