• The KillerFrogs

Congrats ...

tcudoc

Apologies. I'm not intending to troll. Just wanted to show my appreciation of your basketball program. I'm just surprised that my appreciation seems to be greater than even some on this thread. I do wish that our team was as good as yours though.
This is starting to feel like the reprimand I get when I don’t show enough excitement about the birthday present my wife got me. You’ve said exactly the same thing in every post. Glad you dropped by but no need to dwell on the same thought over and over.

BleedNPurple

I absolutely agree with your assessment. I think after the “Hawaii” rebellion and the UCLA flirtation CJD had to reassess the modern game that his players wanted to play and what was required to win in the Big 12. His philosophy seems to have changed to relentless offensive pressure and he still kept his defensive minded tendencies. What has worked for him was that this new batch of players could run and they were willing to buy into the defensive side of the equation. TCU flat out wore Kansas down to a fizzle. We saw this in the K St. game as well. If we hadn’t let up at UT we would have won that one too.
I’m hoping CJD has now recognized that whenever we go into clock burning mode we end up letting the other team fully back into the gam (and this year end up losing.). Need to stay full pressure on for the duration.

Boomhauer

Whatever. :p UCLA under Wooden won 88 games in a row, including playoff games and 2 Final Four appearances. Both 71-72 and 72-73 were 30-0 undefeated sesaons. They had a began to lose it in 73-74 with 4 losses and only finishing third in the final four. Won it all the next year but lost three games during the season (Wooden's last season obviously mailing it in. :rolleyes: IN THE 1966-67 SEASON THRU THE 1972-1973 SEASON (7 Seasons) THE BRUINS LOST A TOTAL OF 4 GAMES. In his last 12 seasons Wooden won 10 NC's!

Wooden never had a losing record as a college basketball head coach. Definitely the greatest college BB coach ever IMO.

I'm glad we will never see that again, but it was great to be a basketball fan during that time and watch UCLA play.

I was just messing around. Your original point is still valid.

Limp Lizard

This "new, modern basketball" looks a lot like Billyball. Except that he often pressed the full court. His teams would make a big run in the 9–12-minute part of the second half. Wore out teams playing less players.

JogginFrog

This "new, modern basketball" looks a lot like Billyball. Except that he often pressed the full court. His teams would make a big run in the 9–12-minute part of the second half. Wore out teams playing less players.
There are similarities in pace, but a big difference in efficiency--meaning points per possession, especially on defense. The pressing style is effective when you have a talent advantage but very inefficient against good teams.

What Jamie has been able to forge is high half-court pressure that gives up fewer easy buckets while also generating efficient transition offense. Fun to play, so it helps with recruiting. And just as efficient as a slow-paced team that boards well and protects the ball--so it can win against talent. That's something that Billyball could never do.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
There are similarities in pace, but a big difference in efficiency--meaning points per possession, especially on defense. The pressing style is effective when you have a talent advantage but very inefficient against good teams.

What Jamie has been able to forge is high half-court pressure that gives up fewer easy buckets while also generating efficient transition offense. Fun to play, so it helps with recruiting. And just as efficient as a slow-paced team that boards well and protects the ball--so it can win against talent. That's something that Billyball could never do.
Bingo

Horned Toad

100%

hiphopfroggy

Apologies. I'm not intending to troll. Just wanted to show my appreciation of your basketball program. I'm just surprised that my appreciation seems to be greater than even some on this thread. I do wish that our team was as good as yours though.
It takes a real man to cry in public.

Froglaw

... on the best road win in College Basketball this year.

Your team is very fun to watch and I'll be rooting for you. But I gotta say, based on this message board, it doesn't seem like you guys care about hoops very much, let alone the fact you have the #14 ranked team. LOL

Nonetheless, best of luck the rest of the year.

Whuh?

You say something?