• The KillerFrogs

Colorado Will Beat You!

Froglaw

Jk! I’m just hoping not to be terrible in 2023. But now that I have your attention…

I just booked a ticket package for TCU/CU in September and thought I’d drop by and say what’s up and pick your brains! I’ve never been to Texas or TCU so I’m pretty excited to come hang out. Any recommendations on things to do, places to stay near the stadium, restaurants etc.

I assume your fans won’t be like Texass fans and be inviting and make it a fun experience?

Tell me anything! I expect to lose but I’m going to check out the atmosphere.

Go to Fred’s on Bluebonnet Circle.

Hard to spot so just keep driving until you spot it.

An-Cap Frog

Well, you’ll take the train from DFW Airport but once you get to the station in FW you’ll likely need Uber unless you stay at a downtown hotel. Even then you could be in for a walk, depending on which downtown hotel. To get around once you’re here, Uber is everywhere.
Highly recommend using Uber. It will add up to be more expensive than a car rental but you won't have to worry about someone not being able to have a good time. Unless you have someone in your group that doesn't drink.

Ron Swanson

Someone dig through topics from previous seasons and link a thread like this that gave better suggestions to this guy. Too many bad jokes and not enough actual help.

I don’t live in DFW anymore, but as far as BBQ goes, I’ve heard Dayne’s, Panther City BBQ and Hurtado are very good right now. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve heard Heim has dropped off a little? Railhead isn’t as good as some of those other places, but it’s solid and has a cool vibe. I love Angelo’s for sentimental reasons, but I’m not going to suggest it to someone who has no emotional connection to the place.

Melis Taqueria is a [ Finebaum ] hole where you walk up and order from a window, but that’s what you should eat hungover at the tailgate before the 11am game. Killer breakfast tacos. Get the green salsa (spicy).

Buffalo Bros is a TCU restaurant/sports bar right on campus and a cool vibe. That’s me and my buddies go-to after game place to watch other games.

Dutch’s is a TCU “themed” restaurant right next to Buff Bros and has some killer burgers.

Tailgating scene is solid. If I were y’all, I’d buy some styrofoam coolers the day before, load them up with beer and ice (or what never you’re drinking) and walk around looking for a friendly place to post up. That’s always been our move when tailgating at opposing stadiums. You’re less dependent on others to get drinks and it makes people more likely to invite you to their tailgate.

Sucks it’s an 11:00 am kick, but make the best of it I guess.

Skobuffs85

Someone dig through topics from previous seasons and link a thread like this that gave better suggestions to this guy. Too many bad jokes and not enough actual help.

I don’t live in DFW anymore, but as far as BBQ goes, I’ve heard Dayne’s, Panther City BBQ and Hurtado are very good right now. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve heard Heim has dropped off a little? Railhead isn’t as good as some of those other places, but it’s solid and has a cool vibe. I love Angelo’s for sentimental reasons, but I’m not going to suggest it to someone who has no emotional connection to the place.

Melis Taqueria is a [ Finebaum ] hole where you walk up and order from a window, but that’s what you should eat hungover at the tailgate before the 11am game. Killer breakfast tacos. Get the green salsa (spicy).

Buffalo Bros is a TCU restaurant/sports bar right on campus and a cool vibe. That’s me and my buddies go-to after game place to watch other games.

Dutch’s is a TCU “themed” restaurant right next to Buff Bros and has some killer burgers.

Tailgating scene is solid. If I were y’all, I’d buy some styrofoam coolers the day before, load them up with beer and ice (or what never you’re drinking) and walk around looking for a friendly place to post up. That’s always been our move when tailgating at opposing stadiums. You’re less dependent on others to get drinks and it makes people more likely to invite you to their tailgate.

Sucks it’s an 11:00 am kick, but make the best of it I guess.
Thanks! Honestly with no knowledge I don’t know if half of what’s posted here is serious or a joke. Looks like we’re over talking about the airport finally. I guess it’s equally 25 miles from Dallas and Fort Worth, looks closer to Dallas on a map. Oh well. Either way, who cares. Thanks for the recommendations and I’ll search the site. I’m coming with the DNVR crew so we have a tailgate so food and drinks are covered. But I would like to walk around a bit and just check it out and mingle with fans.

An-Cap Frog

Thanks! Honestly with no knowledge I don’t know if half of what’s posted here is serious or a joke. Looks like we’re over talking about the airport finally. I guess it’s equally 25 miles from Dallas and Fort Worth, looks closer to Dallas on a map. Oh well. Either way, who cares. Thanks for the recommendations and I’ll search the site. I’m coming with the DNVR crew so we have a tailgate so food and drinks are covered. But I would like to walk around a bit and just check it out and mingle with fans.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
You SOB. After I thought about this I realized how stupid I was for even considering this lol.
Not as stupid as you might think. After all Little d is the only the third largest city in Texas after Houston and San Antonio. However, it does have quite a bit in common with UT with its over-inflated, pompous, entitled self worth.

By the way you will find TCU people much more welcoming in person on Gameday than on this site which has become a never ending contest of one upsmanship and snarkfests.

Last edited:

Spike

Ron's post is solid. Those are all good places. There's a friendly/not so friendly rivalry between FW and Dallas. Culturally very different, and also multiple traffic chokepoints in between. It's 32 miles from downtown to downtown. FWIW DFW airport basically in between Dallas and Fort Worth but 10-15 miles to the north. AGains several traffic chokepoints, depending on time/day.

Ideally I would stay either close to the school or downtown FW. Uber is not a bad idea as a lot of these areas are basically entertainment districts and parking can be an issue.

No longer a fan of the west 7th/Crockett street area. Some good places but very crowded, younger crowd.

If you are looking for an off the beaten path bar maybe Michaels on 7th, Bull n Bush on Montgomery, or Showdown on Camp Bowie.

Eight

Ron's post is solid. Those are all good places. There's a friendly/not so friendly rivalry between FW and Dallas. Culturally very different, and also multiple traffic chokepoints in between. It's 32 miles from downtown to downtown. FWIW DFW airport basically in between Dallas and Fort Worth but 10-15 miles to the north. AGains several traffic chokepoints, depending on time/day.

Ideally I would stay either close to the school or downtown FW. Uber is not a bad idea as a lot of these areas are basically entertainment districts and parking can be an issue.

No longer a fan of the west 7th/Crockett street area. Some good places but very crowded, younger crowd.

If you are looking for an off the beaten path bar maybe Michaels on 7th, Bull n Bush on Montgomery, or Showdown on Camp Bowie.

agree, really like ron's idea of taking a stroll with the cooler

realize our buff visitor mentioned he has a group of other cu fans he will be tailgating with which is great, but if these are people you would normally see in boulder do not miss the opportunity to take a brief stroll around the lot to enjoy the local people, beverages, and food

one of my favorite things to do when i traveled for work and even now is to interact and see the people of an area as while there is much about us that is the same there are those unique things about each area of the country that you sometimes have to go out and find among the people