• The KillerFrogs

College Football is Broken…Probably Forever

NewFrogFan

Agreed. I’m a longtime HS coach and we’re starting to see the NIL-portal effect on our kids. They talk about it, are pretty aware of the who, what, how much and where.

I coached my first year of HS football in ‘94 and the gradual change in attitudes and behaviors since then is difficult to navigate at times. Especially for the older-old school styled coaches like me (GP too). And now we’re in the infancy of open market, money earning players, so we’re already seeing it affecting kids behaviors.
We (college football wise and society in general) have strayed so far from the foundational corps of self discipline, sacrifice for something greater than self, managing and overcoming adversity, etc that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to teach and learn these values in today’s world. I’ve always felt, besides the military, that football is the best arena to teach these things.
However, I’m beginning to feel like a hypocrite for pushing-teaching these values to young men when the governing body of the NCAA gave up on them.
I’ve had athletes note and comment on the hypocrisy of college sports. TEAM/me, your word is your bond, committing and giving all to something and all of the rest are in danger of no longer being lessons that the game teaches.
It truly is the end of the college football that I fell in love with by going with my Dad to every TCU home game from 5 years old to my college days. Portal-NIL has greatly lessened my fervent passion for TCU football and college football as a whole. It greatly saddens me but the closer it moves toward a professional minor league for the NFL, the less I care. Something I thought would never happen as recently as 3 years ago.

Ok, off soapbox. Merry Christmas to all here. Hope your holiday is a special one!
I was on the soapbox with you!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
In Nam, I had 19 year old E-5's working for me. ( I was a 23 year old LT)
There were lots of special circumstances in country with the NCO shortages and shake ‘n bake promotions. Generally, if I recall the minimum time in service requirement is 35 months with 7 months Time in Grade to be promoted to Sergeant for the average soldier. If you enlisted in the Army with a four year degree you joined as an E-4. But could’ve been later requirements.

Endless Purple

Fair point generally. But the “everyone” reference goes more to, yes the coaches and ADs and the new army of analysts, but also: media companies, conference offices, CFP, bowl committees (there’s a freakin racket), apparel companies, and all the college athletics vendors like Learfield IMG, Paciolan, Sidearm, and on and on and on. And the lawyers.

Agree with the Bowls being huge scams. They are, but that was also true before the big money flowed into the sport. The newer ones yes, but again only the top few on the bowl committee see any money in their pockets. The people on the front lines, just get a low paying job. They do need to be added to my list.

I did leave out the conference head guy off my list. That I need to add.

All the other companies (also a company is not a person) you list are not people getting rich, but mostly working class jobs. Plus most of them would still exist if college football went away. They get money off of sports and events in general. Also again the vast vast vast majority of anyone working for those companies is not getting rich, but just has a job.

I would also point out that most those people make less than what the value of a scholarship, room and board, and medical insurance costs. Plus what ever stipend is on top of that. My point (for all, not just to you) is that the narrative of everyone getting rich, skews the facts to paint these players out as starving orphans in a sweatshop which absolutely is not true. It is a flat lie to get middle class level earning (value of scholarships and support) into the rich class for some athletes while in the end there will be less college scholarships for other students. That defeats one of the benefits of all college sports - access to an education. Who cares about the college soccer player able to get a degree when you can get a football player rich in their place.

Edit: Thanks for the reply so few people are even willing to attempt an answer. Let alone give some good answers.

Eight

Yes. Just like prior attempts to allow NCAA football players to be paid like NIL now makes possible. You’re familiar with interpretations changing and case law causing changes at some later date?

go find someone and have it, but i believe that is less likely now in the age of nil

maurice filed because he had been declared ineligible by the ncaa for something that would be allowed under the nil rules. he didn't file because he thought he was ready for the nfl and wanted to move on with his life.

Last edited:

froginmn

Did you just say "hip"
its-hip-to-be-square.jpg

OmniscienceFrog

Not completely broke yet. Just a couple of rules could really improve things significantly. Get rid of the early signing period and make athletes sit out a year if they transfer unless they are a graduate transfer.

This would get rid of the need to rush and hire/fire coaches during the middle of the season, significantly reduce the recruitment of other teams players during the season, and add importance to graduating.
In other words, the way it used to be. But that's not "progress"!

netty2424

Agreed. I’m a longtime HS coach and we’re starting to see the NIL-portal effect on our kids. They talk about it, are pretty aware of the who, what, how much and where.

I coached my first year of HS football in ‘94 and the gradual change in attitudes and behaviors since then is difficult to navigate at times. Especially for the older-old school styled coaches like me (GP too). And now we’re in the infancy of open market, money earning players, so we’re already seeing it affecting kids behaviors.
We (college football wise and society in general) have strayed so far from the foundational corps of self discipline, sacrifice for something greater than self, managing and overcoming adversity, etc that it’s becoming increasingly difficult to teach and learn these values in today’s world. I’ve always felt, besides the military, that football is the best arena to teach these things.
However, I’m beginning to feel like a hypocrite for pushing-teaching these values to young men when the governing body of the NCAA gave up on them.
I’ve had athletes note and comment on the hypocrisy of college sports. TEAM/me, your word is your bond, committing and giving all to something and all of the rest are in danger of no longer being lessons that the game teaches.
It truly is the end of the college football that I fell in love with by going with my Dad to every TCU home game from 5 years old to my college days. Portal-NIL has greatly lessened my fervent passion for TCU football and college football as a whole. It greatly saddens me but the closer it moves toward a professional minor league for the NFL, the less I care. Something I thought would never happen as recently as 3 years ago.

Ok, off soapbox. Merry Christmas to all here. Hope your holiday is a special one!
Interesting post. Gotta ask tho, which programs paying what that the kids are talking about?