• The KillerFrogs

College Football’s Freshman Quarterbacks Aren’t Playing Like Freshmen

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Just for fun, in Sam Ehlinger’s freshman season he played in 9 games. One game, Kansas, he threw two passes and had no rushing attempts. Of the 8 games he played significant time in, he went 4-4 with a 57 percent completion percentage. If he had played against TCU he would have lost 5 of 9 games.

Duggan will be fine.

West Coast Johnny

No he isn’t
Yes he is. I was at the Purdue game. Most of his throws were high. All the throws were 'fast-balls'. He's not putting any touch on the ball.
I didn't say he wasn't playing well. He is playing like a freshman. 7 of 18 againt Purdue - 70 Yards. Some of that is on the receivers for dropping catchable passes but he is playing like a freshman.

Purp

Yes he is. I was at the Purdue game. Most of his throws were high. All the throws were 'fast-balls'. He's not putting any touch on the ball.
I didn't say he wasn't playing well. He is playing like a freshman. 7 of 18 againt Purdue - 70 Yards. Some of that is on the receivers for dropping catchable passes but he is playing like a freshman.
He's a lot more poised than an average freshman. He's not making bad decisions like a freshman. He's moving the offense down the field better than most freshmen.

The only thing we can be critical about is his execution on some throws. That could be some adrenaline for a big night game on the road. Who knows. I think he's performing better than we'd expect a freshman to perform and I also think he's going to improve significantly every week as he learns from each game he plays. He had a live scrimmage against APB. He's now had a live game against Purdue. He's going into the SMU game with 100% more experience than he had against Purdue. He'll bring 50% more experience against Kansas than he had before SMU. That learning curve is steep and I think we'll be quite happy with his progress based on what we've seen and heard thus far.

JockO de Frog

In defense of West Coast, Duggan is playing like a very good freshman. Nervous in a big game--sure, like a freshman. W.C.J. didn't say he wouldn't improve because he certainly will. I think everyone is excited about this kid.

Wexahu

He's a lot more poised than an average freshman. He's not making bad decisions like a freshman. He's moving the offense down the field better than most freshmen.

The only thing we can be critical about is his execution on some throws. That could be some adrenaline for a big night game on the road. Who knows. I think he's performing better than we'd expect a freshman to perform and I also think he's going to improve significantly every week as he learns from each game he plays. He had a live scrimmage against APB. He's now had a live game against Purdue. He's going into the SMU game with 100% more experience than he had against Purdue. He'll bring 50% more experience against Kansas than he had before SMU. That learning curve is steep and I think we'll be quite happy with his progress based on what we've seen and heard thus far.

His mistakes are more physical than mental it seems, which you'd kind of expect it to be the other way around but if he doesn't develop some touch on his throws the drops are going to continue. That's why I'm curious to see what Collins could do. He does throw a nice ball and by the time he got to play last year, the team was kind of a mess. I think 2018 Collins might be a better QB than Duggan 2019 (so far).

Last edited:

Wexahu

Duggan looks like a good player who isn't playing all that well, if that makes any sense. Some kids you see out there and you can tell right away they don't have much. They look scared, overwhelmed or a combination of both. Duggan is definitely not one of those, he looks like he belongs, he just has to clean up his game.

FrogCop19

One thing he didn't do is throw a ton of picks or fumble, something that has been a serious issue on our team for a few years now.

Our record would have been DRASTICALLY different last year, especially in two very important games. Look at the turnover numbers against tOsu and UT for direct evidence. We had both of those games nearly in the can before we started tripping over our own balls.

Footballs, I mean.

CountryFrog

Duggan has done a few things wrong but it's also way too early to determine whether or not "he's playing like a freshman" imo. He's making a few freshman mistakes for sure but the sample size is still so small. If he's still regularly missing open receivers down field for the next 3-4 games then that'll be different.

On the other side of the coin he's not throwing passes into coverage which is very veteran-like. But as with above, he needs to continue doing that over a larger sample size before reaching definitive conclusions.

4th. down

Duggan has done a few things wrong but it's also way too early to determine whether or not "he's playing like a freshman" imo. He's making a few freshman mistakes for sure but the sample size is still so small. If he's still regularly missing open receivers down field for the next 3-4 games then that'll be different.

On the other side of the coin he's not throwing passes into coverage which is very veteran-like. But as with above, he needs to continue doing that over a larger sample size before reaching definitive conclusions.

He's going to not only be ok, he's going to be good first, then as he matures over the next couple of years, great.

However, for now, let's move Alex around some - a little QB with his specific packages, some receiver and some RB and move Collins up to split time with Delton on the quarterbacking position. Collins throws a nice catchable pass.

Moose Stuff

We disagree. He isn’t playing anything like a freshman. Poised and in command well beyond that.

Moose Stuff

His mistakes are more mental than physical it seems, which you'd kind of expect it to be the other way around but if he doesn't develop some touch on his throws the drops are going to continue. That's why I'm curious to see what Collins could do. He does throw a nice ball and by the time he got to play last year, the team was kind of a mess. I think 2018 Collins might be a better QB than Duggan 2019 (so far).

We define mental mistakes differently. To me all his issues are physical right now. And in a good way because they’re easily fixable. It’s like Feltman when he was younger and he rushed/overthrew everything leading to walks. When he learned to control his body in his JR year he became absolutely dominant.

Wexahu

We define mental mistakes differently. To me all his issues are physical right now. And in a good way because they’re easily fixable. It’s like Feltman when he was younger and he rushed/overthrew everything leading to walks. When he learned to control his body in his JR year he became absolutely dominant.

I had it backwards in my post, agree that it's more physical mistakes right now that is hurting him. Edited above. Still had a couple people agree with me, I guess I disagree with them.

Farmfrog

I’m very pleased with the way Duggan has played so far. For me winning is really the only thing that matters and we have and there’s room for improvement from Max and the team. Max is putting his stamp on the position and he’ll be tough to beat out IMO.

jake102

He needs every practice rep. Can tell the media we have two QBs, tell them JR is the starter just for laughs, but in practice it needs to be Duggan throwing every pass

Purp

One thing he didn't do is throw a ton of picks or fumble, something that has been a serious issue on our team for a few years now.

Our record would have been DRASTICALLY different last year, especially in two very important games. Look at the turnover numbers against tOsu and UT for direct evidence. We had both of those games nearly in the can before we started tripping over our own balls.

Footballs, I mean.
You can add TT to the list of winnable games if not for turnovers. I really hated that game. Still do.