• The KillerFrogs

College Admissions

texasrobster1997

Every few years someone posts about their kids not getting into TCU and I’m now one of them.

Yesterday was deferred from TCU. Such a bummer :( I remember the day when it was hard to NOT get in!

Anyone know how many applicants they have had this year? With playoffs I’m sure it is up quite a bit.

DutchFrog

Every few years someone posts about their kids not getting into TCU and I’m now one of them.

Yesterday was deferred from TCU. Such a bummer :( I remember the day when it was hard to NOT get in!

Anyone know how many applicants they have had this year? With playoffs I’m sure it is up quite a bit.
Check your private messages. I’ve got a question of sorts.

ticketfrog123

TCU got around 20k applications in 2021 - I would be shocked if it’s more than 25k from the playoff bump

Certain majors are harder to get accepted into during admissions. Neeley was the most difficult and plenty of kids started out Econ and tried to transfer in (no room / poor grades in their part)

TCU2002

Lots of application statistics are available here: https://ir.tcu.edu/common-data-set/

This reflects applications for Fall 2021, so you can assume two years of application increases since then.

The biggest reason for a defer is likely GPA, followed by completion of rigorous high school courses (normed for the school your student attends). TCU can now afford to defer applicants ranked below the top 25% of the class (real or estimated rank), especially at a standard suburban public high school (they will look deeper into the class at a private/college prep school).

They can also afford to defer students whose grades are fine but who opted not to take many honors or advanced courses, or who dropped certain disciplines prior to Grade 12.

The other important factor is the growth in Early Decision (the binding application option when TCU is first choice). They had 773 such applicants for Fall 2021 and accepted 407. If those numbers have grown 20% in the last two years - which might be a conservative estimate based on national trends, then Early Action or Regular Decision applicants' chances are meaningfully reduced. Every additional ED student accepted means about 4 fewer offers that can be extended to EA or RD students (because one ED offer yields one enrolled student, whereas about 4-5 admissions offers are needed to yield 1 student the non-binding rounds). This adds up and starts to make a real difference in admissions outcomes.

TCUdirtbag

First, remember, deferred is not rejected! It ain’t over yet!

But a serious consideration for your family will be this: typically deferred applications can’t expect to receive academic scholarships if/when later admitted. If that’s a factor for your family, keep it in the back of your mind.

There are some steps that she can take to try and increase her odds. Visiting Fort Worth? Try and set up an appointment with her TCU Admissions Counselor (assigned by region/high school). Use the brief time intentionally - is TCU her first choice? Why? What isn’t on that application that they should know? Did she have a particular accomplishment in the fall—-her best grades yet? A leadership accomplishment? If so, send a brief note to her admissions counselor and an updated transcript.

How much contact is too much? You’re looking for the sweet spot — stay in touch and show your intention, but don’t become obsessive or annoying. Show good judgment in what you supplement with.

texasrobster1997

His GPA was over 4.0 on a 4.4 scale and ACT of 31. He took as many honors classes as he could. Active in varsity sports, student body government, etc.

I had similar numbers when I applied to TCU years ago and had almost a full ride. I’m hearing southern schools in general have gotten really competitive.

Also interesting that roughly only 30% of applicants submit standardized test scores. That likely helps increase diversity, but hurts those with strong scores.

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
First, remember, deferred is not rejected! It ain’t over yet!

But a serious consideration for your family will be this: typically deferred applications can’t expect to receive academic scholarships if/when later admitted. If that’s a factor for your family, keep it in the back of your mind.

There are some steps that she can take to try and increase her odds. Visiting Fort Worth? Try and set up an appointment with her TCU Admissions Counselor (assigned by region/high school). Use the brief time intentionally - is TCU her first choice? Why? What isn’t on that application that they should know? Did she have a particular accomplishment in the fall—-her best grades yet? A leadership accomplishment? If so, send a brief note to her admissions counselor and an updated transcript.

How much contact is too much? You’re looking for the sweet spot — stay in touch and show your intention, but don’t become obsessive or annoying. Show good judgment in what you supplement with.
Good on you for chiming in with advice they can act upon

His GPA was over 4.0 on a 4.4 scale and ACT of 31. He took as many honors classes as he could. Active in varsity sports, student body government, etc.

I had similar numbers when I applied to TCU years ago and had almost a full ride. I’m hearing southern schools in general have gotten really competitive.

Also interesting that roughly only 30% of applicants submit standardized test scores. That likely helps increase diversity, but hurts those with strong scores.
Seems that excellent ACT score (combined with the GPA) should have him in at half price. Something might be amiss and maybe you should inquire. By making them explain maybe they will reconsider acceptance and scholarship.

But I have no knowledge in this so best follow dirtbag’s advice.

Last edited:

hometown frog

I know the Early Decision offers went out in November. (Or at least some of them.). Our daughter applied as Early Action and got her acceptance letter yesterday around 5PM, as did her friend that was also an EA applicant. (She has a third friend who applied as normal action and is in the running for top 10 of their class here in Mansfield and her application still shows in review.).

So all that to say, like Dirtbag said above, it ain’t over yet. I would have him contact his application advisor to ask what the next steps are and how yall might help enhance his evaluation. He might also be in play for Deans or even Chancellors Scholarships so that might be why they listed his app as ‘deferred’ for now

But yes it’s crazy how the criteria to get accepted has jumped from when I was there in the early 90s.

texasrobster1997

Seems that excellent ACT score (combined with the GPA) should have him in at half price. Something might be amiss and maybe you should inquire. By making them explain this maybe they will reconsider acceptance and scholarship.
I think test scores are not weighted as high anymore. Other factors like demographics play a big role too. TCU is only behind Rice and UT in acceptance rate in Texas. It’s surprising, but from discussions with the college counselor nothing is amiss. It’s just harder to get into these days.

HToady

I was a terrible student in high school. I'm sure I was ADD before it was a thing. One day in the Fall of 1972, I thought, "I think I'll go to TCU", so I drove over to the Admissions Office, and said, "Hey, can I go to school here/" and they said "sure, come on" and the rest is history. I would NEVER get into TCU today....

Big Frog II

Just because you are deferred as someone said above doesn't mean denied. They want the applicant to prove that TCU is their #1 choice, not just their fall-back school. They have so many applicants for the 2200-2500 spots. They want to make sure the applicant really wants to be there. I had a number of friends kids get deferred, but once they did what TCU expected they were admitted. Often, they want to see their first semester grades. Has the applicant taken blow off courses his/her senior year or are they still working hard. Make sure the first semester grades are forwarded to the school. Also as mentioned above a personal interview with someone from admissions is valuable. The bottom line is persistence.

TCU2002

With that strong of a profile (and legacy status), a defer is somewhat surprising.

If the intended major is business, then it could be a defer out of an abundance of caution if applications are surging (and with business being the most popular academic program). A quick check that senior grades are strong, and a strong letter of continued interest from your son could be enough to seal the deal.

My advice echoes TCUdirtbag's - keep it bright and update the application by stating his strong desire to be at TCU (since he is the child of alum and did *not* apply ED, they might wonder about this, especially if he didn't have much official contact with admissions before applying - and many young men do not communicate with the admissions office as readily as young women for...reasons). Finish out a strong first semester and ask the high school to submit those grades (they likely do this automatically). That could be (should be?) all that is needed.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I was a terrible student in high school. I'm sure I was ADD before it was a thing. One day in the Fall of 1972, I thought, "I think I'll go to TCU", so I drove over to the Admissions Office, and said, "Hey, can I go to school here/" and they said "sure, come on" and the rest is history. I would NEVER get into TCU today....
I think back then it was, if the check clears, welcome to TCU!

Last edited:

lowfrog

Remember reading that with the Rose Bowl win back in 2010, applications to attend TCU jumped from about 10K to over 20K in 2011. They have stayed at the 18K - 20K per year level since then for about 2K per class slots. The attention TCU received that led to many potential students and their families checking out TCU back then was phenomenal and it's likely going to be more widespread and intense this time around. Also read that TCU is the second most selective school in Texas in its admissions after Rice University and that TCU has a first-year retention rate of about 92%. That makes it tough to transfer in too. I sincerely doubt I could get into TCU nowadays.

What Up Toad

This doesn't make sense to me. According to TCU's own scholarship page, those scores should've qualified him for a scholarship.

I would have him call in and ask. Having the student reach out to admissions shows that he's interested and willing to fight to get in. The admissions department has a lot of leeway on deciding who gets in, from what I've heard.

Last edited:

texasrobster1997

This doesn't make sense to me. According to TCU's on scholarship page, those scores should've qualified him for a scholarship.

I would have him call in and ask. Having the student reach out to admissions shows that he's interested and willing to fight to get in. The admissions department has a lot of leeway on deciding who gets in, from what I've heard.
Thanks. These comments are all very helpful. I generally take an hands off approach with my kids and academics on principle, but y’all are motivating me to follow up. Appreciate all the input.