• The KillerFrogs

Chargers Wire: Brandon Staley speaks on decision to bench Quentin Johnston vs. Ravens

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Chargers Wire: Brandon Staley speaks on decision to bench Quentin Johnston vs. Ravens

Story by Alex Insdorf

Late in the third quarter of Sunday’s game against the Ravens, Quentin Johnston was targeted on a 2nd and 12 that resulted in a dropped pass. Johnston went down after the play, shaken up as he was grabbing his ribs. He did not return to play at any point in the rest of the game.

Brandon Staley was asked at his postgame press conference about Johnston’s injury and availability to return to the game. Staley first said he had an “issue” with his ribs and did not return to the game. “It just did not happen. He did not go back into the game.”

Further pressed on the matter by The Athletic’s Daniel Popper, Staley revealed that Johnston not coming back in was a coaching staff decision as opposed to a medical designation.

“It wasn’t that he couldn’t go back into the game, it’s just that we didn’t feel like — through the flow of the game, with where he was — that it was the right thing to go back into the game,” Staley said.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-bench-quentin-johnston-vs-ravens/ar-AA1kzXT8

Last edited:

06DallasFrog

I've never read an article about QJ just refusing to leave Keenan Allen alone. Most good young WRs are constantly asking older guys about tricks on routes, breaks, etc. He needs a year.

Wexahu

I've never read an article about QJ just refusing to leave Keenan Allen alone. Most good young WRs are constantly asking older guys about tricks on routes, breaks, etc. He needs a year.
I think he needs to decide if he really wants to be an NFL receiver. When I've watched him play this year he looks like he's just going through the motions and/or lost out there. Any sort of pressure or contact completely takes him off his routes. A QB isn't going to feel good about throwing it your way if you won't fight your way to get to X spot whatever way you have to get there.

ShreveFrog

I wish I could find video of that play. But when I watched it "live" I didn't consider it a drop. I thought it was defended pretty well. That drop at Green Bay is going to haunt the media's and fan's image of QJ.

Outback Frog

I hate to say it, but he is more of a finesse type receiver...even in college. Have to be physical to survive in the NFL because you are going to get pounded. You have to also be fearless, and I don't see that in QJ. He has the speed and size to match up well, but it's the physical traits that determine success in the NFL.

PineyWoodsFrog

I wish I could find video of that play. But when I watched it "live" I didn't consider it a drop. I thought it was defended pretty well. That drop at Green Bay is going to haunt the media's and fan's image of QJ.
This is what happens when you have a reputation for dropping passes. We have remember this didn't just start when he got to the NFL. It traveled with him from college. I'm still shocked that he went 1st round.

PineyWoodsFrog

It continues to not look good. He's in mostly on run downs when Allen is not in the game. Very high percentage if you see QJ in the game and Allen is not in, it's a run. Majority of the pass plays that he's in on, he's clearing out coverage for other guys. They simply do not trust him. I really do hope he can get it together. Last week's drop at Green Bay and last night's performance combined with Flowers and Addison drafted behind him are starting to draw comparisons to the Reagor/Jefferson draft and jokes are flying all over social media. Hopefully he can keep his head and make improvements.

mgsouthpaw

Looks like he had 5 for 52, though. That's not a bad day (their offense was overall terrible).

Darius had 3 punt returns for 55, though. Wow!
davis is killing it.

Q had another horrid drop yesterday. in fairness he has been very open before but herbie is locked in on keenan allen. new coach may help, but he'll have to make some progress soon next year.

very disappointing for sure and part of the TCU wr trend, sadly.

PineyWoodsFrog

Yes well, Jerry Hughes first round was a bust too. I know he’s D but just saying. QJ is a rookie - he has a lot of upside.
I can't call a guy who has played 14 years and still going a bust. Didn't work out in Indy because of position and scheme, but he's only been on 3 teams in those 14 years. Busts generally are out of the league within a few years or play on way more teams in that time span.

Chico Dusty

I can't call a guy who has played 14 years and still going a bust. Didn't work out in Indy because of position and scheme, but he's only been on 3 teams in those 14 years. Busts generally are out of the league within a few years or play on way more teams in that time span.

I think he’s saying JH was considered a bust in Indy and was/is no longer a bust implying there is hope for QJ.

Realtorfrog

If Herbert would look for him it would be different. He locks in on his favorites…..the few deep balls he has thrown to QJ are overthrown and not catchable. The one at GB was the exception.
Hopefully the new coach will help the whole team!! A new GM and owner would help as well.

BleedNPurple

. I see my sarcasm flew over your head. I think QJ will overcome and have a good career too!

CountryFrog

Johnston was always a draft pick for the future. That's why he was drafted by a team that already had established veterans at the position. He's only been thrusted into a starting role now because of injury. He wasn't a good route runner and he was inconsistent catching the ball in college. Those aren't things you totally fix in one NFL offseason.

Next year is where he needs to be able to make a mark if he's going to have a good career. I'm not saying he will or won't be good. I have no idea. But I'm not declaring his NFL future null and void after 12 games.