• The KillerFrogs

Changes Need to be Made

I wonder the age range of those suggesting that it might be time for GP to go? If his tenure here hasn't earned him enough trust and latitude that he will right the ship (as he's repeatedly done throughout his career) then we don't deserve him anyway. We were just in the Big 12 Championship game 10 months ago, beat a really good Stanford team in the Alamo Bowl (plus the numerous heights that he's lead us to....repeatedly) and some of you are ready to throw him out. As Jim Wacker was fond of saying.....unbelievable.
I agree with that but will say that he can't just do it all himself at this level. Take a look at a lot of the coaches on this staff and ask yourself who else in the P5 would hire them. He's carrying a lot of dead weight right now and moving Glasgow to LB hasn't worked. Both LB play and secondary play have been demonstrably worse.

tetonfrog

I’ll only say this..... we’ve gotten to the point in his career where I would no longer would be devastated by the idea of him not being our coach anymore. No way can you fire him (nor should you), but if he just hung them up.......

To be clear, I am not saying we SHOULD fire GP. I am saying that is what we might have to do to get him to fire some of these assistants. GP is a loyal guy. I don't think there is anyone at TCU who has a strong enough relationship to get him to dump those guys.

Pharm Frog

I agree with that but will say that he can't just do it all himself at this level. Take a look at a lot of the coaches on this staff and ask yourself who else in the P5 would hire them. He's carrying a lot of dead weight right now and moving Glasgow to LB hasn't worked. Both LB play and secondary play have been demonstrably worse.

He chooses to carry dead weight and his style may contribute to those deaths to an extent

LeagueCityFrog

Gary isn't and should go anywhere. He needs to cut these anchor coaches that are keeping us from winning the whole thing then he can bolt in style like Bob Stoops. TCU has everything it needs to get to the playoff right now in regards to recruiting base, facilities, school, city, and per capita money from alums. It is all there. We needs more recruits that play hard and together as a cohesive unit and we need to make 3-5 coaching moves to get the most out of every play for 2019. What we saw today is not TCU football.

DeuceBoogieNights

Suggestion 2, if Jake Kirkpatrick is done with the NFL, then hire him to work with the center and two guards. I think the interior lineman are by far the worse portion to our offense minus the turnover club we are the president club of. I think the new OL coach needs more time. He's a TCU alum and just got here and we all know what the old alternative was.

So your suggestions are to just bring back old players as coaches?

Mean Purple

So much this.

How in the darn do we not get better assistants?
Just does not make any sense.

PO Frog

Suggestion 2, if Jake Kirkpatrick is done with the NFL, then hire him to work with the center and two guards. I think the interior lineman are by far the worse portion to our offense minus the turnover club we are the president club of. I think the new OL coach needs more time. He's a TCU alum and just got here and we all know what the old alternative was.
Are you under the impression that our current coaching staff doesn’t have the college playing experience that you apparently think makes you an excellent coach? I would be willing to bet everyone of them played in college so I’m not sure your “let’s just hire players I thought were good at TCU” strategy is all that sound.

Mean Purple

Gary isn't and should go anywhere. He needs to cut these anchor coaches that are keeping us from winning the whole thing then he can bolt in style like Bob Stoops. TCU has everything it needs to get to the playoff right now in regards to recruiting base, facilities, school, city, and per capita money from alums. It is all there. We needs more recruits that play hard and together as a cohesive unit and we need to make 3-5 coaching moves to get the most out of every play for 2019. What we saw today is not TCU football.
In this respect, Gary is too much like Richt was at Georgia. He would not get rid of some of those anchors. And it was sad. He was a great coach at Georgia and it clipped him. When you consider how the SEC champ game that one year was obviously goi g t be winner takes all over ND, Richt got really close to the prize.

Eight

I hope LHCGP coaches at TCU for another 10+ years. He's shown the ability to bounce back.

But here's a question: Will any teams take a run at him after this season?

Bluebloods will be scared off by this year's performance; the choice to hire won't be defensible given the questions that some will ask about his commitment level after this season.

Most other programs can't afford him.

It would need to be a team in a P5 conference that is performing poorly, needs to make a coaching change, has some money and facilities, offers a setting that GP would be comfortable in, doesn't require polish in public communication, is willing to adopt a defense-first identity, isn't known for knee-jerk coaching changes, and won't be scared off by this bad season.

I can think of one...or three.

Here's hoping JD knows what he is doing.

this is satire right?

NewFrogFan

KU's Coach Beaty is now 5-38. TCU is now one of those 5. Think about that....

Probably means as much as Oregon losing a 31 point lead to a team with a walk-on starting his first and only game.
Some of the BS on this thread is pretty bad. I remember the same “executioners” all over this forum after 2013.

You pay the coach big bucks, give him a chance to earn them this year. That being said, the offensive side of the ball has glaring problems.......I would bet on changes, but then again I NEVER bet on a team I follow.