• The KillerFrogs

Can we move the SMU game to the Cotton Bowl?

mrnicefrog

I don't know how anyone else feels, but I would love to see us play SMU at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair.

Yes, I know the Cotton Bowl is old and run down, but I still think it would be fun.

With both our stadiums only holding 33k, and us having a down year;
the game may be closer than in years past; this would be a good year to move it.

I think attendence would be pretty good, especially if you get in free to the fair with a ticket.

Plus, we could get SMU to agree to coming to ACS next year, and call this a neutral site.

Thoughts?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Not just no, but hell no.

We're struggling to put together a home schedule, you want to give one up?

To play in the 90K seat POS Cotton Bowl?

ftwfrog

Maybe not this year, but I think that would be cool for the future. Having gone to the OU/TX game before, there is nothing better than having a few, going into the game, and then friendly banter after the game at the fair. That atmosphere is awesome. Not sure if it'd be the same with a smaller crowd, but it would be pretty cool and maybe help the rivalry grow.

angelo's frog

Maybe not this year since we need home games but I would really like to play the SMU home games there during the State Fair. That would be great.

I rather have SMU at home so that SMU fans, players, recruits, students can see where TCU is going and becoming. To be in the stadium with the construction all around and SMU viewing the future of the Frogs, that will be a priceless sight to see.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
In the 80's we played them there a few times. Not so great.

In 86. Back then SMU played their home games at Texas Stadium (the 84 game had the place rocking), but that year they moved it to the Cotton Bowl (game was sponsored by Dr Pepper, if I remember correctly). I remember it not being an overly pleasant experience.....or much of a crowd. We lost, too.

mrnicefrog

, there is nothing better than having a few, going into the game, and then friendly banter after the game at the fair. That atmosphere is awesome. Not sure if it'd be the same with a smaller crowd, but it would be pretty cool and maybe help the rivalry grow.

My thoughts exactly.

And no, I don't mind giving up a home game this year since our stadium only holds 33k (mostly on the visitor side)
parking will be a nightmare, and the game will still be in the metroplex.

Plus, it's not giving up a home game. We'd play SMU at home next year. It's just delyaing one.

halfwaytoheaven

No thanks. Right now, SMU is the best game on our home schedule. Let that sink in for a minute.

If SMU wants to move the game from GJF to the Cotton Bowl next year, sure.

Metropolis777

Playing SMU annually in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair is a great idea in theory. FWIW, Communism was a great idea in theory. The big problem is that we don't have the combined fanbases and interest surrounding this game to make it worthwhile. If, for arguments sake we sent a full ACS worth of Frogs (44K) and they sent a full Ford Stadium worth of Mustangs (32K), we'd have a crowd of 76,000 in attendance. We'd still have nearly 20K empty seats in the Cotton Bowl. While, 76,000 would be considered a huge success by our standards or SMU's standards, 20K empty seats would have plenty calling it a failure.

That's all a best case scenario.

I'd love to be playing in the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair, but I'm afraid we couldn't make it work.

HoustonHornedFrog

Not just no, but hell no.

We're struggling to put together a home schedule, you want to give one up
?

To play in the 90K seat POS Cotton Bowl?

No thanks. Right now, SMU is the best game on our home schedule. Let that sink in for a minute.

If SMU wants to move the game from GJF to the Cotton Bowl next year, sure.

Exactly, with a potential game against BYU at that lousy overpriced piece of S... Jerryworld, we are already looking at the potential of only 5 home games anyway.

Let SMU give up a home game to play at the Cotton Bowl if they want to.

All the talk about next year being so bad playing in the construction zone is overblown IMO. To the contrary, if people have the right attitude, I think games at ACS next year could really be rocking. There shouldn't be an empty seat in the place and both endzoes will be closed for the first time, plus with the new portions as a sign of what we are building to, I look for ACS to be loud and fun.

mrnicefrog

Tech-Baylor game had 48k in attendance when it was at the Cotton Bowl.

I would be curious if anyone went to that and had feelings on it.

mrnicefrog

By the way, the State Fair Classic between Praire View & Grambling is played at the Cotton Bowl every year.

I don't think you need to have 80k people to play a game successfully there.

YA

In theory not a bad idea when it is smu's home game only.

The problem in reality is that smu struggles to get folks to go to their games at their on campus stadium. Those people detest going out of their way to even go to campus. You put it off campus in a drug and gang infested neighborhood and they will avoid it like the plague.

We would have more folks there than them and it still would be around 10k of our fans.

I doubt it would have more than 20k total. Bad idea.

oldscribe

What's this ``down year" krappola? I'll be surprised if Frogs lose more than 2 games. Also be surprised if they don't beat SMU by 2 TDs -- and so will SMU. Or do you figure anything after 13-0 is ``down"?

SoonerFrogs

I was at the BUTT bowl, attendance was awful. Cotton Bowl is a terrible idea.

IMG_15763-vi.jpg

IMG_15766-vi.jpg