• The KillerFrogs

Can we avoid this season's scheduling mess?

Limp Lizard

11 games in a roll. Eleven conference games in a row. That was a weary, beat-up team that barely lost to KSU on Saturday. I don't want to have to rely on such luck in keeping our main players healthy in 2023. But as Jim Carey says in Dumb and Dumber: "there is a chance."

Our three non-conference games are Colorado, NIcholls, bye-week (Sept 16). SMU. A lot like last year, giving the conference schedule makers another chance to have TCU play 10 or 11 straight games to end the season.

Lucky there are three teams on our schedule and in our new conference who have an opening on Sept 16: Baylor, Houston and... SMU who has an off week after playing OU. Can't help from seeing SMU wanting to bet out of playing on the 16th, which both gives them a rest and screws TCU. Baylor may or may not add a game on the 16th. So hopefully we will be "rewarded for this great season by playing Houstin in week three and get our bye date after 6-8 games.

Just not another Bataan Death March season, thank you.

BTW I see a very different looking TCU team in the Fiesta bowl than the weary one in the B12 Championship! A game 5 Duggan would have scored that OT touchdown standing up. Davis would have returned punts. ETC, etc.

Last edited:
TCU and SMU are again scheduled to play the 4th week of the season, September 23, 2023, but both have Sept. 16 open. I would like to know the the reason as to why they don’t play on the 16th instead, so TCU and SMU can start their conference schedules on the 23rd and then have a Saturday off during the conference schedule.

fanatical frog

With 14 teams in the conference next year why not take a page from SEC and schedule only 8 conference games (no divisions for '23) with four cream puffs for OOC.....and play the easiest cream puff in November.
On Edit: and schedule OUT both for a death march.

froginaustin

Is there any official comment on how a non-round robin, non-division BXII will put together a conference schedule?-- assuming that's what it will be at least until the conference shrinks to 12.

All smoke-filled-room politicking and backscratching?

I would assume there would be a temptation to put OUT behind the 8-ball (the MWC tried to do to just that to TCU as it left that conference). But those 2 might be influential enough to demand "fair" treatment whatever that might be, inside or outside the conference.

froginaustin

With 14 teams in the conference next year why not take a page from SEC and schedule only 8 conference games (no divisions for '23) with four cream puffs for OOC.....and play the easiest cream puff in November.

That might be hard to pull off for 14 teams all looking for an OOC game in about the same time slot, this close to the season. And the TV peeps (not to mention quite a few TCU fans) might squawk about garbage content.

Dr. Coach Haus

TCU and SMU are again scheduled to play the 4th week of the season, September 23, 2023, but both have Sept. 16 open. I would like to know the the reason as to why they don’t play on the 16th instead, so TCU and SMU can start their conference schedules on the 23rd and then have a Saturday off during the conference schedule.
Pay Me Make It Rain GIF by GIPHY CAM
Hustling Pay Day GIF
Make It Rain Money GIF
Wolf Of Wall Street Fun GIF
Make It Rain Money GIF
Hustling Make It Rain GIF
Money Dollar GIF

I've heard we are playing at Houston on September 16
Seems better to flip that and have SMU on the 16th and Houston on the 23rd (one more game before the conference schedule begins), but at least not having that 16th as the off week then means the Frogs get their one off week later in the season.

An-Cap Frog

Sure we can add A&M to the schedule...

Froginbedford

Does TCU have any input as to when the BYE week is scheduled? I think that's a province of the Big12 office....

The non-conference games are negotiated by each school, and it's more desirable to play SMU and others such as we did this year earlier on the schedule for optics purposes at the end of the season....

For conference schedules, put a blank schedule with BYEs already typed in, beginning in Week 4) in the hat (each copy labeled A or B or C, etc, and ADs draw and then the BIG12 admins and the school ADs hash out the remaining games around the pre-scheduled open dates....

If there are divisions (7 teams each with the new schools added), fill in the schedule starting alphabetically with Baylor, BYU, Iowa State, etc., the second slate would start with BYU, the third ISU, etc., and rotate down then the alphabet), draw, and where TCU shows up on the list that would be the BYE week for the Frogs, giving each division school a 6-game division schedule and three cross-division games....Have three blank dates for those games, with ADs and conference jefes deciding those games....In such a case there would be one school in each division l scheduled for a BYE on the same weekend....

leofrog

1). Schedules are a crapshoot. Some teams love theirs, and some teams hate theirs. It is what it is.
2). I heard that every Big 12 team will play every other team at least once over the next 2 seasons. Meaning, there will be many teams we play only once over the next 2 seasons. so every team will play 9 home games and 9 away games (minus neutral site games) in the conference in both years combined.
3). If conferences and teams are so upset that the SEC plays weak OOC competition in November, then let your conference members do the same. I applaud the SEC for using the “loophole.”

tcufrogprince1

I want to go to the much easier divisions with a cupcake game mid-season. Then I want to start funneling some money to ESPN and Fox to get their commentators to pump us up even when we suck. Kind of like that other League....I think they are called the SEC.

Klaw

Because it is about TV inventory and money. Also, SEC is going to 9 conference games soon