• The KillerFrogs

Bunt, bunt, bunt, bunt, bunt, bunt...........

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
JS -

You know it is the CWS, and some of these teams might actually be pretty good! :ph34r:

When you are up 4, 5-1 and keep bunting around (or NOT bunting around) runners and then the next thing you know - a good team scores 4-5 runs on you and you are now DOWN in the game....maybe you will have wished that you let your best hitters swing away and drive in some runs....versus.......

bunt, bunt, bunt, bunt... :blink:

And do NOT jump my [deleted] for this, you know every one of you was thinking the same thing.

:wacko:

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Jun 20 2010, 01:28 PM) [snapback]584386[/snapback]
JS -
You know it is the CWS, and some of these teams might actually be pretty good! :ph34r:
When you are up 4, 5-1 and keep bunting around (or NOT bunting around) runners and then the next thing you know - a good team scores 4-5 runs on you and you are now DOWN in the game....maybe you will have wished that you let your best hitters swing away and drive in some runs....versus.......
And do NOT jump my [deleted] for this, you know every one of you was thinking the same thing.

I disagree

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(Daniel Plainview @ Jun 20 2010, 06:32 PM) [snapback]584387[/snapback]
I disagree

Thank you for just saying that.

I appreciate your position.

The only problem I had with it was when Curry (I think it was Curry) squared around with runners at first and second. Let the big guys swing away. Other than that, I loved it. I can probably count on one hand the number of bad bunts I've seen all year. They are highly disciplined in that skill and most of the time the batter will get the job done.

I loved the squeeze. I hope sending Featherston was a set play. When you have a team that can bunt as good as they do why not? I've seen that only a few times in my life and that was the first time I've seen the trail runner tagged out at home.

Sangria Wine

We're just playing the game the way play. It's what got us here. It's the way we play. There is this old saying...You dance with who brung you.

People like you that whine about bunting in college baseball need to do some research about the game and learn about what teams with a history of winning the CWS in the last decade tend to do. It'll be eye opening for you.

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Jun 20 2010, 02:28 PM) [snapback]584386[/snapback]
JS -
And do NOT jump my a $ $ for this, you know every one of you was thinking the same thing.

Yes JS, please take the advice from some anonymous poster on the internet and ignore what you 30+ years in baseball has taught you.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(Sangria Wine @ Jun 20 2010, 01:41 PM) [snapback]584399[/snapback]
We're just playing the game the way play. It's what got us here. It's the way we play. There is this old saying...You dance with who brung you.

People like you that whine about bunting in college baseball need to do some research about the game and learn about what teams with a history of winning the CWS in the last decade tend to do. It'll be eye opening for you.

People who know me know that I am typically a "swing away" guy.

But this comment in bold above is basically my feeling at this point. This type of play has gotten us here in the great position we are - the catbird seat if we win tomorrow. Switching styles midstream may not only have unpredictable results, but might serve to psyche out the team. If they are supremely confident with their ability and strategy (which it seems they are), that confidence will serve as a huge advantage.

BEAT THE BRUINS!!!

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(Sangria Wine @ Jun 20 2010, 06:41 PM) [snapback]584399[/snapback]

What is eye opening is that you admit to drinking Sangria wine. You probably drink White Zinfandel, too?!

and obviously agreeing to let 2,3,4,5,6 take the bats out of their hands.

I watched this team for 40 games this year. I know how they play. I don't have a problem with Schloss bunting. I have a problem bunting with your best 4 hitters!!!!!!

Don't tell me what I do and don't know.
Because with aluminum bats and great teams at the CWS - (which I have been going to for 17 years), you cannot shut every team down with pitching.

What I do know is that when this team gets beat 9-7 and we let 3, 4, 5, 6 bunt instead of swing away.....
that everyone on this board will be saying ....."what was he doing!!??"

If all of you that disagree with me think that we will hold every team to 1 run, you are all nuts.

Look at the history of that in Omaha, and learn something yourself.

MO Frogs

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Jun 20 2010, 06:28 PM) [snapback]584386[/snapback]
JS -

Its called "small ball" and its a proven method for manufacturing and scoring runs. It also sets itself up perfectly as a offensive stragety to use when Purke is pitching for your team. It not flashy, so its pretty common for fans who dont unserstand baseball to hate it. But its a damn smart stragety and shows that Schloss knows his team, the opposing team and baseball in general.

So eat your cheetos and let the coach do the coaching. BTW are you the same fan who complains about why CGP dosnt always go for it on 4th and 1??

Just FYI if you wanna read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_ball

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Jun 20 2010, 02:15 PM) [snapback]584405[/snapback]
If all of you that disagree with me think that we will hold every team to 1 run, you are all nuts.

Look at the history of that in Omaha, and learn something yourself.

I don't know that this is the point that we're trying to make. We won't hold everyone to 1 run, I agree with that. But I don't think we'll give up 7 in any one game in the entire CWS. And we were able to plate 8 yesterday despite our middle-of-the-lineup hitters bunting occasionally. Now we may not score 8 every time like that, but it's obviously not hampering our run production too much.

dweller

and it also sets the stage so they can cross up the other team by geting them to play the infield in, and then giving the hitter the green light. That only works if you can sell the bunt. It's stratagey, and it seems to be working. Frogbybirth, you remind me of my brother who took apart a working antique clock when he was 10 years old because he was going to make it work better. :blink: Want to quess how welll that turned out? :biggrin:

Deep Purple

JS -

Incorrect. And please, never presume to speak for the rest of us again. Quite a few of us disagree with you.

In baseball, you play the odds. The odds of advancing runners and scoring runs via "small ball" are much better than clearing the bases via consistent slugging. Even the best sluggers fail to get a hit two-thirds of the time.

MO Frogs

QUOTE(dweller @ Jun 20 2010, 07:29 PM) [snapback]584411[/snapback]
and it also sets the stage so they can cross up the other team by geting them to play the infield in, and then giving the hitter the green light.

Yup +1, its also forces the opposing team to really think about each individual defensive play and not just "play the position". This can cause all kinds of problems with players being out of position or confused on what the best throw may be. So not only does it move runners for use but makes defense more complicated for the opponet. Its a win win...For the Frogs of course.

Oh and for "whoevers" comment on "CWS History". We just got done playing Texas and they made such a big deal about how well Texas plays small ball, they even called it Auggi Ball. UT has been to the CWS what like 34 times and has won 6! Hows that for CWS small ball history.

swimmerbabe11

I nearly always hate small ball. It has cost us once or twice two.
My philosophy on bunting has always been this..if you've gotta do it, you've gotta do it. That's fine.

My analogy goes:
If you are in a fight, pulling hair is a real defensive strategy. If you are about to die, pull hair if that is what it takes. but it's still kinda girly.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(FrogByBirth @ Jun 20 2010, 02:15 PM) [snapback]584405[/snapback]
What is eye opening is that you admit to drinking Sangria wine. You probably drink White Zinfandel, too?!

and obviously agreeing to let 2,3,4,5,6 take the bats out of their hands.

I watched this team for 40 games this year. I know how they play. I don't have a problem with Schloss bunting. I have a problem bunting with your best 4 hitters!!!!!!

Then you must have been in line for the ice cream of the future most of the time because everyone in the lineup from 1-9 has been bunting to move runners along and Bryan Holaday is adept at dropping a bunt down the third base line for a hit if the third baseman is playing back.

Let JS play the game he's played it all season. Dance with the one that brung you.

Longfrog

QUOTE(MO Frogs @ Jun 20 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]584409[/snapback]
Its called "small ball" and its a proven method for manufacturing and scoring runs. It also sets itself up perfectly as a offensive stragety to use when Purke is pitching for your team. It not flashy, so its pretty common for fans who dont unserstand baseball to hate it. But its a damn smart stragety and shows that Schloss knows his team, the opposing team and baseball in general.

So eat your cheetos and let the coach do the coaching. BTW are you the same fan who complains about why CGP dosnt always go for it on 4th and 1??

It might be a good strategy in college ball, but you never see it in pro ball. At least, not to the same extent. The Rangers use small ball as much as any AL team, and Ron Washington routinely gets criticized for it, so to act like TCU's tactics are unassailable is ridiculous. For those of us used to pro ball, it's a little hard to watch at times.

That said, I have always assumed that it's the poor defense at the collegiate level that makes small ball a viable strategy. And since I don't follow college baseball like I do MLB, I wouldn't knock it. But I will say that in the 1st inning of game 3 against UT, after Winkler had walked the leadoff guy and gotten behind the #2 hitter and Disch-Falk was going bananas, I was very pleased that Augie still asked him to bunt. A lot of great college teams use small ball, but when you've got a good hitter up against a pitcher on the ropes, it's hard to believe that giving away an out is a good strategy.

Longfrog

QUOTE(MO Frogs @ Jun 20 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]584409[/snapback]

By the way, your own link disagrees with you:

"A team could also start the game with the intention of playing small-ball, but then change from this strategy at some point during a game, depending on circumstances, such as when the opposing pitcher is struggling or has left the game, or if the team is ahead or behind by several runs."

TCUFrogs

JS -

Glad you are not in charge. Leave the coaching to those who know how to do it.