• The KillerFrogs

Bowl Options

Horny4TCU

1. After beating OU we get a shot at the CFP and go to either Sugar or Rose.

2. After beating OU we are left out of the CFP and go to the Alamo.

3. OU wins and goes to CFP, repeat option 1 for OU. TCU goes to the Alamo.

4. OU wins, gets snubbed, they get the Alamo Bowl and then TCU gets the Camping World Bowl.

Does this look like our options? Or am I missing something?

I think there are scenarios where we could go to the Cotton or Orange bowls, because they are at-large selections.

I believe #4 is impossible, because the big 12 gets an automatic bid to a NY6 if a team does NOT go to the playoff. However, if a team does go, then that counts as our auto-bid.

Hopefully someone can explain how it works, cause I'd like to know as well...

Virginia Frog

If TCU beats OU on Sat.

Two possibilities: a) Seeded into the Playoff, either Sugar or Rose, or, b) if no playoff TCU will get a NY6 one of Peach, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta. (unlikely Orange).

If TCU loses, a NY6 is less likely.

If we are then ranked between #5 and #11 in the final Committee rankings - we'll be in a NYE 6 - unless loser of Clemson/Miami --I assume the winner will get "in" to the playoff-- falls to #12 or below - ACC by contract gets 1 guaranteed into Orange which will take a slot below #10,. We would then need to be between #5 and #10 in that case. The G5 school rep that takes one of the 8 non-playoff spots will be UCF or Memphis it appears.

Notre Dame, WashSt and MissSt all drop this week from #8, #13 and #14 so we won't be jumped by them. So the worst case this week is TCU at #11. We'll hope that Stanford beats USC on Friday in the P12game who likely be at #10 this week.

It is imperative that a OU loss be a "good loss" in the eyes of the committee so they rank us #10 or above (even if SoCal is a winner.) What would make such a win would be IMO a superior D where OU's O is held to let's say under 20 points (1/2 or better of their season average), or a narrow loss where TCU was within range of an upset in the mid-4thQ or later.

After that I think the Alamo Bowl is the top tier B12 bowl and would be the likely destination for the Frogs.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

We won’t get into the Playoff.

It’s NY6 or Alamo. Beat OU and NY6 is guaranteed. Lose and NY6 odds are about 50/50 (though getting left out would be a freaking inexcusable joke by the committee). Notre Dame losing again is helpful to our cause for sure. As would be another Miami loss. The 3 NY6 bowls with at-large spots are Cotton, Fiesta and Peach.

So Cotton, Fiesta. Peach or Alamo. There are no other possibilities.

Frog-in-law1995

4. OU wins, gets snubbed, they get the Alamo Bowl and then TCU gets the Camping World Bowl.

We won’t get into the Playoff.

It’s NY6 ior Alamo. Beat OU and NY6 is guaranteed. Lose and NY6 odds are about 50/50 (though getting left out would be a freaking inexcusable joke by the committee). Notre Dame losing again is helpful to our cause for sure. As would be another Miami loss. The 3 NY6 bowls with at-large spots are Cotton, Fiesta and Peach.

So Cotton, Fiesta. Peach or Alamo. There are no other possibilities.

The Alamo wouldn’t have to pick us.

rifram09

I think you're missing a couple of things:

(1) B12 champ is guaranteed a NY6 bowl even in the years where the Sugar hosts.

(2) we stand a good chance of going to a NY6 bowl even if we lose.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Alamo Bowl reps were at the game on Saturday. This was at least their second visit to TCU this season

Frogcrates

Curious... any scenario in which we beat OU, don’t get into CFP, but play Bama in NY6 because they are (gasp) left out of the CFP?

Planks

Our chances of making the NY6 were very slim before Notre Dame’s loss last night, but now I think NY6 may be much more likely. Even if a loss to OU, TCU will likely jump Notre Dame and move up to #11, making them the last P5 to get into the NY6. TCU’s opponent will be the winner of the Memphis/UCF game, as the G5 representative is always matched up against the lowest ranked P5 team to make the NY6 bowl. If TCU beats OU, we will get a much better opponent, probably one of the first two or three teams to miss the playoffs.

If TCU loses to OU, then our chances of making the NY6 are dependent upon the Big 12 getting two teams in and the Pac 12 only getting one. Right now there are two big risks right now to TCU’s NY6 chances:

1) 10-2 Washington. Committee has them currently 5 spots below TCU, but they just blew out #13 Washington State, so Washington May bump TCU out of the final NY6 slot if we fall to 10-3 with a loss to OU.

2) Stanford beating USC in the Pac 12 championship game. Stanford would be guaranteed a spot in the the NY6, and 10-3 USC may still be ranked ahead of 10-3 TCU.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

Looking at the projected rankings, we are going to be #9 or #10 this week. Alabama and UCF are kind of stuck where they are for two different reasons sitting at #8 and #9. Bama also doesn't have another game to right the ship and who have they beaten this year that was of significance? That LSU team that wanted to fire their coach after week 3? Teams ranked 1-7 all play each other next weekend or in OU's case they play us. OU should be ranked #2 this week. If TCU can find a way to beat the #2 ranked team with the #1 ranked offense in the country with the Heisman winner then we are getting a spot in the Playoff. Have faith little lambs. Chaos is coming if we can just win the game.

Beat OU and Remember the Alamo.....Bowl!

Planks

Curious... any scenario in which we beat OU, don’t get into CFP, but play Bama in NY6 because they are (gasp) left out of the CFP?

Alabama almost certainly will be headed to the Orange Bowl if the are left out of the CFP. That bowl is contractually the ACC vs the best remaining of SEC/BIG 10/Notre Dame. So it is likely going to be Alabama vs the loser of the Miami/Clemson game.

Frogcrates

Alabama almost certainly will be headed to the Orange Bowl if the are left out of the CFP. That bowl is contractually the ACC vs the best remaining of SEC/BIG 10/Notre Dame. So it is likely going to be Alabama vs the loser of the Miami/Clemson game.
Damn. Would be a nice consolation prize to take on and beat this vintage of Bama.