• The KillerFrogs

Bobby Knight, Dead at 83

PurplFrawg

Administrator

Bob Knight, the sixth-winningest coach in Division I men's college basketball history whose Hall of Fame career was highlighted by three national titles at Indiana -- one an undefeated season not since matched -- and countless on-court outbursts, died Wednesday, according to his family.

FrogAbroad

One of the best ever. Absolutely mean ass drill sergeant style coaching and yet most players loved him.
Some leaders see their people as expendable means of achieving personal goals and push them to the point of failure. Other leaders see their people as capable of achieving excellence and push them to the apex of their abilities.

Coach Knight was not without his faults, to be sure, but I always saw him in that "other leaders" category.

FrogPreacher

Served a church in NE Ohio in Wooster. The small town of Orrville was not far away and I believe Knight was from Orrville. Which is also the home of Smuckers.

Wexahu

Crazy SOB to be sure, and not everyone could handle playing for him, but the best pure coach the college game has ever seen IMO. When he finally got the chance to coach real talent, he won Olympic Gold in '84 in damn near Dream Team fashion (with all college players). He turned so many marginally talented kids into great college players it's hard to count them all.

tmcats

i knew knight a little. a great public speaker. historian. teacher. fantastic basketball coach. the all-time best in my view. intimidating as lucifer. loyal to his bones. winner. all that was overshadowed somewhat by his bad temper. he was very kind behind the scenes. loved the guy.

Last edited: