• The KillerFrogs

BIG mulling no divisions and 8 game conference schedule

asleep003

How do you get to the 2 best teams playing in the CCG.?.

Some times, the 2nd best record in one division is the best team in the whole damn league, but due to in league scheduling, they're out.

Make 6 P5 leagues of 10-11 teams each, with round robin.... no way a 7-5 team gets to play in the CCG.... ju$t not happening!

Last edited:
Being left out of the scheduling alliance will make it harder to schedule quality non-conference games for the Big 12. Plus 9 conference games is more attractive for the TV package. Some other reasons like rivalries, makes division split up a little easier since more crossover, fewer teams a missed leading to more balanced schedules, etc but the first two are the main reasons the league will stay at 9 conference games.

HG73

Just my opinion, but scheduling worries about the Alliance don't concern me much. If you want a quality OOC game there's always the SEC. Maybe even a scheduling alliance with them. More compelling matchups than the original Alliance. Then a couple g5 games and a body bag tune up game. 8 conference games, SEC, p5s and one more ooc. That's a tough schedule.

Also I don't understand why divisions are needed for rivalries. Rivals just schedule each other every year.

Last edited:

geefrogs

The BYU addition is already causing me headaches. They should've just plucked USF as well and left BYU out there.

NewBig12WestEast.png

geefrogs

This is still the best idea. From SI last year I think. Before you troll, I understand it will never ever happen. But man, it would be great.

1644332351528.png

froginaustin

The BYU addition is already causing me headaches. They should've just plucked USF as well and left BYU out there.

NewBig12WestEast.png

I hope I am wrong for the sake of the conference and therefore TCU, but . . .

I predict that before the beginning of the third football season in which BYU is a member of the B12 v3.0, it will:

a. demand changes to the conference rules or bylaws to meet its special needs or entitlements, as it sees them.

b. demand a disproportionate slice of conference revenue.

c. open negotiations-- likely on the down-low at least at first-- with a new conference/scheduling alliance/media provider, however college football is operated, for a new content distribution deal either as an indy or as the leader of some sort of rump conference.

d. other negotiations-- on the down-low as much as possible considering how many potential leakers will know about it-- to set up a rump conference that would bust the B12 like the WAC16, or like the MWC almost was-- to get into a group that BYU could control.

e. all of the above.

I hope B12 leaders have at least a back-up plan to minimize the threat of damage from the sort of business practices BYU has undertaken repeatedly over the last few decades. I hope they don't need to execute such a plan, but I am not optimistic.

Poor ole USF. What a time to have their athletic program (at least in the sports that count for conference realignment) fail to step up.

HG73

I predict that before the beginning of the third football season in which BYU is a member of the B12 v3.0, it will:

a. demand changes to the conference rules or bylaws to meet its special needs or entitlements, as it sees them.

c. open negotiations-- likely on the down-low at least at first-- with a new conference/scheduling alliance/media provider, however college football is operated, for a new content distribution deal either as an indy or as the leader of some sort of rump conference.

d. other negotiations-- on the down-low as much as possible considering how many potential leakers will know about it-- to set up a rump conference that would bust the B12 like the WAC16, or like the MWC almost was-- to get into a group that BYU could control.

e. all of the above.

I hope B12 leaders have at least a back-up plan to minimize the threat of damage from the sort of business practices BYU has undertaken repeatedly over the last few decades. I hope they don't need to execute such a plan, but I am not optimistic.

Poor ole USF. What a time to have their athletic program (at least in the sports that count for conference realignment) fail to step up.
BYU was the big dog in the WAC16 and the MWC. They'll just be another dog in the Big12. And there's nowhere else to go. PAC won't take them, I don't see an invitation from the B1G or SEC. This is all there is for them. They know what independence was like.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

e. all of the above.

E.

They are, at the very least, an untrustworthy institution. One hopes that our Conference "leadership" is fully aware of their penchant for intrigue and treachery...

asleep003

e. all of the above.

Pretty sure BYU learned their lesson ... plus their history was taken into account. Feeling when offered the membership, it was explained what was required of them... and if they didn't agree to that, the Big12 would be paying a visit to Tampa FL for the 12th member of the new Big12.

HG73

Now the SEC commissioner is talking about no divisions. Admittedly not as seriously as the ACC, PAC and B1G.

ShreveFrog

Ridiculous not to have divisions with 12 or more teams. I creates home and home rivalries and sets up the championship game. The fact that Ohio State dominates the B1G is creating a very near sighted approach to scheduling.

Cross divisional games that change every two years only adds spice to the season.

Otherwise you’re just emulating Baylor’s scheduling of D2 schools coupled with a few conference games.
Agree with this. I hope we are in a southern division with our closest conference rivals -- OSU, Tech, BU, plus conference additions Houston and UCF.

Conference additions BYU and Cincy can play in the north with ISU, Kansases and WV.

HG73

Agree with this. I hope we are in a southern division with our closest conference rivals -- OSU, Tech, BU, plus conference additions Houston and UCF.

Conference additions BYU and Cincy can play in the north with ISU, Kansases and WV.
Would love that, but BYU would [ hundin] about the travel and less access to TX & FL. Still they would get a game in TX every year and a game in FL every 4 years.

I wonder what BYU's preference is regarding divisions. What teams would they like in their division? I can't stand them, but am interested in their preferences.

froginaustin

Would love that, but BYU would [ hundin] about the travel and less access to TX & FL. Still they would get a game in TX every year and a game in FL every 4 years.

I wonder what BYU's preference is regarding divisions. What teams would they like in their division? I can't stand them, but am interested in their preferences.

No reason to believe BYU has or will change its stripes. If they don't get everything they want, they'll conspire and plot, beyond the lobbying and bargaining that every program does, for their way no matter what the expense to partner programs in the conference. Scheduling of events; revenue division; media access and scheduling; eligibility rules (particularly for their older-than-normal athletes); publicity and marketing opportunities. You name it. There won't be much room, dealing with BYU, for compromise or trade-off.

No reason to believe that the same motives and drive that led BYU to blow up conferences and attempt to make it as an indy, "the Notre Dame of the West", have changed, particularly if their motives and drive are grounded in matters of faith, in the teachings of their owner, their Church.

I would be happy to be wrong. Time-- only a few years IMHO-- will tell.

Virginia Frog

Pretty sure BYU learned their lesson ... plus their history was taken into account. Feeling when offered the membership, it was explained what was required of them... and if they didn't agree to that, the Big12 would be paying a visit to Tampa FL for the 12th member of the new Big12.
I believe if BYU was not been invited to the Big 12, the #12 slot would have gone to UMemphis not USF. It would have enlarged the B12 footprint.