• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Network?

Now that the dust has settled I think, what is the new Big 12 going to do or not do with a conference network? I think we should partner with ESPN and set one up or take over the Longhorn Network. It would be nice and needed now that we have more teams and games to have additional channels to showcase Big 12 teams. What does the board think?

tcudoc

There will not be a linear Big 12 Network. The streaming Big 12 Now on ESPN+ is what we have

/thread.
/unthread
ce7f0a35-8dc8-4a9d-aca3-d78958cbec5d_text.gif

/rethread

East Coast

Tier 1
Couldn’t ESPN help us build a linear network? They have our tier one rights?
Jeff, linear is shrinking, and ESPN/Disney has publicly committed to move more into streaming. They are not going to invest in a new linear conference channel at this time. Heck, the PAC network is/was a disaster, and the ACC network struggles to get placed outside of the conference's footprint.

fanatical frog

B10/ sec/ ACC all have their own networks.....B12 network would be high on my wish list. Be great to have game replays and programming with analysts discussing the various goings-on in the conference.

eh0215

It's not going to happen. It'll be a streaming solutions as others have said.

We can want such a solution, but it doesn't matter. Nobody in the conference brings blue blood eyeballs to the TV. The numbers aren't there.

lowfrog

You’re factually correct, but we’ll end the thread when we damn well please, der Fuhrer.
Ok, I'll play. Linear is dying. Streaming Big 12 Now on ESPN+ is the future. In the future there will be more schools and more games and matches on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Big 12 Now on ESPN+ will have more dramatic and interesting games and matches on it than the other conference streaming sites, which will draw more eyes beyond the alums and fans of the schools in the Big 12 conference. Dramatic and interesting games and matches in a wide variety of sports go up, subscriptions go up, and everybody is happy -- except for schools in the other conferences.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Disney has no money, the emperor is naked, and there won't be any B12 network deals in the foreseeable future that don't involve streaming as Apple and Amazon are the only companies with the cash flow to support a new sports "network."

Eight

Disney has no money, the emperor is naked, and there won't be any B12 network deals in the foreseeable future that don't involve streaming as Apple and Amazon are the only companies with the cash flow to support a new sports "network."

they have money, just not to start something that has already been tried and has little upside

now, branding yourself with a gambling platform...........

82 Frog Fever

Ok, I'll play. Linear is dying. Streaming Big 12 Now on ESPN+ is the future. In the future there will be more schools and more games and matches on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Big 12 Now on ESPN+ will have more dramatic and interesting games and matches on it than the other conference streaming sites, which will draw more eyes beyond the alums and fans of the schools in the Big 12 conference. Dramatic and interesting games and matches in a wide variety of sports go up, subscriptions go up, and everybody is happy -- except for schools in the other conferences.
I know nothing about this, but that does seem like it would be the easiest and cheapest path with great reach. With just a little bit of marketing, I bet it would take off.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
they have money, just not to start something that has already been tried and has little upside

now, branding yourself with a gambling platform...........
Gambling (DraftKings) would be wild.

However, I disagree that Disney has the cash. On the earnings call yesterday they admitted the company lost over 500 million last quarter and their D+ subscriber rate is continuing a downward trend losing 300K in the last few months (not to mention the 11 million lost internationally).

82 Frog Fever

Idk about that. ESPN+ now has 25.3m subs @ $10/month, and subs are growing at a 1% per month rate. You don’t get that kind of growth without investing in content to keep growing subs.