• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Frog-in-law1995

Today’s meeting was to determine who brings the hot dogs, Capri Suns and Chips Ahoy to the “double-check we have everyone’s name spelled correctly” meeting next week, which obviously has to happen before they can have the “pre-negotiation press conference statement workshop” meeting in early September.

Chongo94

The "incentives" he is referencing are likely the payment model that both Apple and Google/YouTube favor, wherein they agree to share performance revenue tied to subs should they hit X thresholds after costs are recovered.

So something like:
- Initial upfront payment of ~$50-100mm
- $200mm guaranteed fees annually
- Rev share model once subs hit X growing to X over time (which will likely be accompanied by a performance projection chart that goes up and to the right over time magically)

This kind of structure I'm sure will be his way to say "hey look at this I can make you so much more!" but it'll be entirely based on future theoretical performance, which is tough given how slow the MLS package has grown. They don't even have 1 million post-paid subs on the MLS package yet, and that's a pro sports league in ~29 markets with some international interest and draw.

I'd guess the lower incentive package will likely look like a smaller upfront payment, higher base ($25mm maybe), and incentives that only kick in at outstanding performance levels, almost like a windfall tax.
I’m glad you put figures on that MLS deal. I thought it a horrendous mistake when the league did that but the money was just too good for them.

I’m sure Messi will bring some of those subs up but still, MLS made a monumental mistake in my opinion with that deal. Typical though.

82 Frog Fever

One wrinkle about the Big12 media deal. Adding P5 teams prorata with their primary provider is automatic UP TO 16 TEAMS. That network can't balk at adding the four corner schools as a block. What if you add them and Oregon and Washington want to join? What network is going to decline adding those two big brands prorata despite them not being required to?
I believe you are correct about ESPN, as this is their only chance to get O&W.

FOX is more sketchy, as they are a Big10 media player and would get a piece of O&W for free on a B1G move. They are just a 1/3 partner with B12, so they could actually prefer a B10 move.

FrogAbroad

I believe you are correct about ESPN, as this is their only chance to get O&W.

FOX is more sketchy, as they are a Big10 media player and would get a piece of O&W for free on a B1G move. They are just a 1/3 partner with B12, so they could actually prefer a B10 move.
This scenario reminds me of an old Three Stooges short made in the early days of WWII, in which the three Axis powers were meeting to divide up the world they were sure they would conquer.

82 Frog Fever

I’m glad you put figures on that MLS deal. I thought it a horrendous mistake when the league did that but the money was just too good for them.

I’m sure Messi will bring some of those subs up but still, MLS made a monumental mistake in my opinion with that deal. Typical though.
The day Messi was introduced in Miami is arguably the biggest day in MLS history.
Apple was there to cover the event and stream it live, with NO SOUND.
Their sports production is horrible.

froginmn

Today’s meeting was to determine who brings the hot dogs, Capri Suns and Chips Ahoy to the “double-check we have everyone’s name spelled correctly” meeting next week
Is that the Michigan barbecue?

dawg

898139bd-ca5c-4686-bcbf-13f92cc96489_text.gif

Seems like pretty big IF. As mentioned above, MLS took the upfront bag from Apple because it was a more than ESPN offered. They only just passed 1m subscribers for MLS season pass, of which 75% came after Messi signed and debuted with Inter Miami. The PAC won't have a Messi-like figure to boost interest, and most of their fanbases are lukewarm to CFB as it is.

Summarizing what I'm seeing on Twitter and putting that up against the industry chatter I have as my background:

- If it's Apple instead Google/YouTube, that probably means no upfront payment or purchase structure is included. Just a straight licensing deal, though the PAC Network would likely be utilized by the schools for game production.

- "Limited linear" and "almost all streaming" tells me it's probably Apple getting 90% of games and sublicensing some to a partner. Sounds like ESPN isn't one of those partners. I saw Wilner say WarnerDiscovery Sports (TNT/TBS) could be an option. That could also mean CBS, in a roundabout kind of way.

- Also probably means that the biggest events, like the PAC championship game and basketball tournament, could be streaming only. That could be a deal breaker.

- Maybe he's worked the math to get to $25mm base plus some "performance" potential? Hard to imagine them getting the subs necessary to make those a reality, but who knows.

Last edited:

One Frog Nation

without knowing how many teams will be in the pac 12 9 6. figuring it to be 12 they would need 40 to 50 million subscribers at $1 per subscriber per quarter. That seems about right.
seond, if they get 5 million, (known as pipe dream) how many drop the it after football season and how many more after baseketball season.. 10% or 80% or only those that forget to cancel.............
Oregon and washington will stay - easier path to the playoffs, utah might be thinking this way as well. Oregon has P. Knight to cough up what ever the delta is for Oregon

Virginia Frog

Oregon is overrated for value, but they have splashy uniforms and a duck that people are keen on.
UOregon is "special" to me because the Duckies we're almost the victim to the FA Dry Froggies in expelling the disgraceful "Shoffner loosing streak" of the '70s.

It was a Frog L at home in early '77 - but it was a could-have-been, should-have-been, on the edge-of-your-seat W for TCU football, but it wasn't sadly. (Rice became the losing-streak victim in Houston, later that year.)

In those days, it was "Oregon? Where's that!" type of attitude.

One Frog Nation

a couple of questions, if Utah doesn't want to move - easier to get to the playoffs, they stay will the "smarter" cali schools and the Arizona state board is meeting today, what if they say it Arizona and ASU as a package deal only but see above no Utah what does the big 12 do. What if ASU doesn't want to leave either? Does that leave UConn?