• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

froginmn

Ugh I just thought of the recruiting pitch for SMU.

"Hey, we're a P5 school.... in a dying conference where you'll have to travel to the far reaches of the west coast 4-5 times a year... and play all your games against teams with no true rivalry... in front of half-empty stadiums..."

TCUdirtbag

Ugh I just thought of the recruiting pitch for SMU.

"Hey, we're a P5 school.... in a dying conference where you'll have to travel to the far reaches of the west coast 4-5 times a year... and play all your games against teams with no true rivalry... in front of half-empty stadiums..."
Sure. And other than directionally, how is that any different than their pitch since ‘96, but with more 0s in their budget and slightly better access to the Playoff?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
So, the solons over at Disney have produced stinker after stinker, and lost upwards of $1 billion. Maybe more. There is some desperation now being voiced by the worthless Bob Iger, whose personnel choices have led to this juncture, and he let it out that he is considering selling off some crown jewels: ABC and ESPN...

Mouse IN Panic!

tetonfrog

So, the solons over at Disney have produced stinker after stinker, and lost upwards of $1 billion. Maybe more. There is some desperation now being voiced by the worthless Bob Iger, whose personnel choices have led to this juncture, and he let it out that he is considering selling off some crown jewels: ABC and ESPN...

Mouse IN Panic!
If ESPN goes under or is sold, doesn't that effect the Big 12? I could two [ Finebaum ]s about woke or unwoke, but if ESPN folds, then that is bad news for our conference. Are you sure that is good for TCU?

Eight

If ESPN goes under or is sold, doesn't that effect the Big 12? I could two [ Finebaum ]s about woke or unwoke, but if ESPN folds, then that is bad news for our conference. Are you sure that is good for TCU?

if in theory, espn folding is not good for any conference signed with them because those sec schools for example are just as dependent on that cash flow as the nig 12, acc, etc.....

the real question is who is out there with the cash to buy espn if they got sold off?

scheiss abc....no loss if they disappeared other than a bunch of bad shonda rhymes shows, [ Finebaum ]ty game shows hosted by michael strahan and the bachelor

YA

if in theory, espn folding is not good for any conference signed with them because those sec schools for example are just as dependent on that cash flow as the nig 12, acc, etc.....

the real question is who is out there with the cash to buy espn if they got sold off?

scheiss abc....no loss if they disappeared other than a bunch of bad shonda rhymes shows, [ Finebaum ]ty game shows hosted by michael strahan and the bachelor
Supposedly, Apple is looking to aquire parts or all of ESPN.

That is why the pac folks are so confident today. They think Apple is going to pay big bucks to show the world that Apple is a player and go to bat for the pac. I don't see how Apple would sub in pac 12 games over other conferences, but the stupid season is here on realignment and tv deals.

82 Frog Fever

ESPN is not going under, their financials are as solid as it gets. They have nearly $3.2m of revenue per employee. Most Fortune 500s can’t get $1m.
ESPN is not being sold. A minority stake is being discussed. There are several investors interested, but Comcast (a Disney parther) is probably the leader.

Last edited:

Eight

Supposedly, Apple is looking to aquire parts or all of ESPN.

That is why the pac folks are so confident today. They think Apple is going to pay big bucks to show the world that Apple is a player and go to bat for the pac. I don't see how Apple would sub in pac 12 games over other conferences, but the stupid season is here on realignment and tv deals.

apple is an answer, but if you own the biggest sports network in the us, and this network already has a full slate of content with the sec , etc....why pay more money for the pac and where are you broadcasting those games?

again, i get apple buying espn, but i don't get how that would be the salvation of the pac if espn has the bigger brand conferences

Purp

So, if it is "too late" for teams to bolt the PAC, Kliavkoff has successfully stonewalled and run out the clock on CO, AZ, UT, Az St. bolting. Shrewd...

That was the point of the exercise. Whatever the Media deal, it won't pay like the B12 deal, and it will be with non-trad sources that are not generally noted for sports. Kliavkoff's delay strategy has trapped them in what is likely to be an uncomfortable deal.

I somehow think that BY has the ability to still make something happen for '24. It's just logistics...
I think BY believes he can still get it done for '24 too. He's basically said as much. I know GSR said it'd be near to impossible, but that still means there's a chance and I get the sense BY is confident he could make it happen.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I honestly don't know what the financial position of ESPN is. I have heard from various Media sources that it is either A.) Spewing cash in all directions, or B.) Coughing up blood and ready to expire. I very much doubt the latter, but they did just shed a lot of payroll. My instinct is that it is doing well, and a very enticing bauble for Iger to be shopping around.

Apple (and perhaps Amazon) is a very good candidate for a sale. Apple has no production capabilities for sports, and this delivers to them plenty of that. ESPN would come pre-packaged with contracts, desirable content, and a reasonably consistent viewing base. It would also serve as a nice advertising platform for the rest of Apple content, drawing viewers they normally would not reach.

That being said, I don't believe it changes the math for the PAC. Such a deal would take a while to consummate, and the PAC needs a deal pronto.

Eight

I honestly don't know what the financial position of ESPN is. I have heard from various Media sources that it is either A.) Spewing cash in all directions, or B.) Coughing up blood and ready to expire. I very much doubt the latter, but they did just shed a lot of payroll. My instinct is that it is doing well, and a very enticing bauble for Iger to be shopping around.

Apple (and perhaps Amazon) is a very good candidate for a sale. Apple has no production capabilities for sports, and this delivers to them plenty of that. ESPN would come pre-packaged with contracts, desirable content, and a reasonably consistent viewing base. It would also serve as a nice advertising platform for the rest of Apple content, drawing viewers they normally would not reach.

That being said, I don't believe it changes the math for the PAC. Such a deal would take a while to consummate, and the PAC needs a deal pronto.

if you are the most profitable piece of a bigger entity that is bleeding money what faster way to improve some of their numbers and make you more profitable than cutting the one cost that can easily be brought down, salaries