• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Eight

Why does basketball only have to be $5MM - $7MM per school in the B12? Right now only ESPN is broadcasting college basketball games. Most are relegated to Tier 3 status. If BY's plan is to double (for the sake of argument) the number of nationally broadcast college basketball games he'd theoretically double the revenue generated by the sport. If he's got the clear #1 basketball conference in the country and could broadcast every conference game in prime time on a major network he'd capture more of the revenue going to other conferences for his own.

Who's to say he couldn't sell B12 basketball to Fox, for example, and ESPN like the football rights are? More games in front of more eye balls generates more revenue.

what does fs1 broadcast when it isn't football and baseball season?

the one advantage espn has is multiple channels to broadcast product

Some interesting comments from Brock Huard in the first ten minutes here. He says that the major networks seem to have lost trust that Pac 12 administrators are sufficiently invested in football to make it worth their while paying for rights to those games at the level the Pac office is trying to negotiate for. Then he goes on to say that Colorado's administrators are stuck in a game of chicken not wanting to get the blame for the Pac dying entirely.

Is this the week we finally get some answers on this? Kliavkoff can't hide any more come Friday: he either gets public and specific about the deal or else it becomes obvious that the money isn't there.

That said, this thing has dragged on so long at this point that your safest bet is to anticipate it dragging on further.

A couple of things he said ring true to me:

- Networks don't trust PAC 12 investment in major collegiate athletics. I feel this is very true, and is one of the key reasons why Colorado would leave for the Big 12 organically.

- Big 12 Presidents don't want to be seen as breaking up the PAC by taking Colorado or Arizona, and are wanting Colorado/Arizona to be seen clearly as the ones who made that choice. Colorado feels the same way, in reverse, and is seeking a trusted partner (Arizona most likely) to leave with them and absorb the blame. In addition, blaming a bad TV deal and bad league economics is a beautiful cover story.

Big game of chicken being played all around.

I was told this past weekend to my question, "Could the B12 even get Colorado or Arizona in to start the 2024-25 FY" that the answer was "probably not" and that it would be "very difficult." Yormark is telling the President's it's possible, and I think some ADs are on board with trying to make it happen, but it would be very, very hard logistically.

Re: PAC, not giving any "update" as you can't trust anything but I continue to believe folks should keep an eye on NBCU as a potential landing spot, they continue to sniff around the PAC. Apple, YouTube, ESPN, Nexstar media, etc. are all continuing to be discussed too but I can't say if that's of any real significance.

As I said before, I can't wait to find out the story of what's been happening behind the scenes for the PAC the past year. Something tells me the answer is going to be "nothing." Maybe CGK was just trying to run out the clock so Colorado and Arizona had no choice but to sign a crap deal and GOR for 3-5 years?

82 Frog Fever

No, I think it will be Yormark who will be doing the exploiting and "capitalizing".

Listened to an interview Yormark did with ESPN's S/XM channel during Big 12 media days. All he talked about was monitizing basketball. That's why TCU is doing a basketball event in NYC and playing in Mexico.

March Madness is a huge cash cow for the NCAA. Has the NCAA been sharing enough milk with the conferences or schools?
Last year the NCAA made $1.16b and $870m of it came exclusively from March Madness. (they don’t get any CFP/Bowl money)
The NCAA then distributes 60% of that money thru a complicated formula back to all member schools. It’s an essential pool for small schools like a Wright St.
So in the end, the NCAA retains $450m for its annual operations. I have no idea what the NCAA does for $450m a year.

I have no idea what the NCAA does for $450m a year.
gulfstream-g650-in-flight.webp
shutterstock_526092568.jpg

matthias-jordan-TnDaYFLMoSY-unsplash-1-1.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A couple of things he said ring true to me:

- Networks don't trust PAC 12 investment in major collegiate athletics. I feel this is very true, and is one of the key reasons why Colorado would leave for the Big 12 organically.

- Big 12 Presidents don't want to be seen as breaking up the PAC by taking Colorado or Arizona, and are wanting Colorado/Arizona to be seen clearly as the ones who made that choice. Colorado feels the same way, in reverse, and is seeking a trusted partner (Arizona most likely) to leave with them and absorb the blame. In addition, blaming a bad TV deal and bad league economics is a beautiful cover story.

Big game of chicken being played all around.

I was told this past weekend to my question, "Could the B12 even get Colorado or Arizona in to start the 2024-25 FY" that the answer was "probably not" and that it would be "very difficult." Yormark is telling the President's it's possible, and I think some ADs are on board with trying to make it happen, but it would be very, very hard logistically.

Re: PAC, not giving any "update" as you can't trust anything but I continue to believe folks should keep an eye on NBCU as a potential landing spot, they continue to sniff around the PAC. Apple, YouTube, ESPN, Nexstar media, etc. are all continuing to be discussed too but I can't say if that's of any real significance.

As I said before, I can't wait to find out the story of what's been happening behind the scenes for the PAC the past year. Something tells me the answer is going to be "nothing." Maybe CGK was just trying to run out the clock so Colorado and Arizona had no choice but to sign a crap deal and GOR for 3-5 years?
Like I thought a while back: Nobody wants to be The Guy Who Killed The PAC. But, it has it coming...

At this point, even the Networks are making their excuses as to why they aren't coughing up piles of money for a tired PAC product. And the PAC Presidents cannot be gazing with joy at a potential lineup of suitors consisting of The WB, Apple, YouTube, etc. They've already done the off-Network dance, and they still owe $50 million for that fiasco.

The onus of being The One Who Turned Out The Lights pales in comparison to another horrible deal that leaves their Programs with no way for traditional viewers to see their product, and also leaves them on the hook for production costs, and insufficient ratings penalties.

Purp

I didn’t say basketball was worth $5-$7m per school.
I said basketball and football might be worth $5-$7m more per school if they were negotiated separately rather than together. I thought it was a generous figure, as it could turn out to be zero.
I see. I could see that growing significantly with the right conference. Nobody would pay any more for basketball from most conferences, but the best basketball conference where every night is an absolute slugfest could be very compelling. IMO, college basketball is very undersold on TV and my suspicion is BY sees the untapped potential and figures the B12 is positioned to maximize it better than any other league.

82 Frog Fever

Exactly. The PAC is dead, the investigators just haven't zipped the remains pouch yet.
That’s what the PAC said about the B12 in Oct. ‘21.
The PAC is dead when the B1G comes for at least two of Wash, Oregon, or Stanford.
Unless there is some huge surprise, without a B1G move, Oregon, Wash, Stanford, Cal., Utah, OSU, WASU & possibly ASU are unlikely to leave no matter how bad the contract is.

tcudoc

In my humble opinion, the LA schools have already killed the PAC. The rest is nothing but how to handle the remains.
I made a similar statement a while back in this thread but someone pointed out ( very astutely ) that it was the TV networks that really set the process in motion. They knew exactly what they were doing and should take the brunt of the blame for this fiasco. USC and UCLA were simply pawns in the bigger game who were not willing to stand up for their conference brethren and left them in the dust for more money. Same for UT and OU. The networks have preyed upon the greed of the blue blood programs and counted on them taking the bait of more money at the expense of their conference mates. The networks are trying be exclusive and not inclusive in the big money conferences and relegate all others to the second tier, where they can fill some TV slots for lower pay and serve as fodder for the big name schools in their out of conference games.

Moose Stuff

That’s what the PAC said about the B12 in Oct. ‘21.
The PAC is dead when the B1G comes for at least two of Wash, Oregon, or Stanford.
Unless there is some huge surprise, without a B1G move, Oregon, Wash, Stanford, Cal., Utah, OSU, WASU & possibly ASU are unlikely to leave no matter how bad the contract is.
Dying, dead, whatever…. The end result is the same.

YA

I see. I could see that growing significantly with the right conference. Nobody would pay any more for basketball from most conferences, but the best basketball conference where every night is an absolute slugfest could be very compelling. IMO, college basketball is very undersold on TV and my suspicion is BY sees the untapped potential and figures the B12 is positioned to maximize it better than any other league.
The issue last year is many times ESPN was proclaiming the sec as the best basketball conference last year.

I foresee that trend will continue to protect their investment.

82 Frog Fever

PAC12NW was just added to AppleTV+
They are releasing their Apple Vision in early 2024 and have partnered with Disney for content. They are going to want more content, which is why they appear to be buying the media rights of the PAC.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

PAC12NW was just added to AppleTV+
They are releasing their Apple Vision in early 2024 and have partnered with Disney for content. They are going to want more content, which is why they appear to be buying the media rights to the PAC.

Not Friday, but real soon and very good.

I'm shocked, sir.

HG73

I think it’s better for college football to have a viable PAC conference. Good news if true.
I think college football is better off having the more viable PAC teams in different conferences playing earlier in the day against teams that like football/athletics. Having one conference of west coast teams puts them all in the same bad time zone boat with their academic snobbery looking down their noses at each other. Not a recipe for a cohesive conference.

They will still have 3 or 4 non conference games to schedule traditional rivals on the west coast every year.

82 Frog Fever

Somebody said earlier about MLS. On Apple TV it’s dropped off the face of the planet.
Apple TVs production problems are legendary.
A couple days ago was probably one of the biggest days in MLS history introducing Lionel Messi to Miami and the rest of the league. Apple TV was there to carry it live, with NO SOUND.