• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Creeperfrog

Second the motion. A contiguous Eastern presence for the Twelve (new name required):

WVA, Cinci, & UCF, add Pitt, Louisv, VT, NCSU, GaTech and we're gold! Miami is the cherry on top.

Ohio/Pa to the Sunshine State.
I don't think Miami is such a great catch. Why them? They had their days. Florida has had many schools that had success. Kinda sounds like texas. Good luck to you and atm

Creeperfrog

I don't think Miami is such a great catch. Why them? They had their days. Florida has had many schools that had success. Kinda sounds like texas. Good luck to you and atm
And as you, I don't mean you. Texas have fun. I read what I said and thought it might be towards you. It wasn't. Totally at UT

Limey Frog

Interesting comments from Brock Huard here, starting at the 6:30 mark.

[Cliff notes if you'd rather not listen: He says that at the recent meetings in Arizona the Big 12 ADs and conference admins seemed "energetic and upbeat," and the Pac 12 group seemed "beat down". He thinks that the likely dollar figures on a Pac 12 deal won't match the Big 12's, and that the conference is going to have to swallow its pride and accept a figure they previously would have baulked at, agree a 4-5 year term and hope that things look better for them to command more after that expires. He thinks they'll all accept less than the Big 12 and stay together.]

tcudoc

He thinks that the likely dollar figures on a Pac 12 deal won't match the Big 12's, and that the conference is going to have to swallow its pride and accept a figure they previously would have baulked at, agree a 4-5 year term and hope that things look better for them to command more after that expires. He thinks they'll all accept less than the Big 12 and stay together.]
Once they know you will do it for less, the larger amounts will never materialize. Why would a network pay more for a product they know they can get for a lesser price? Simple human psychology and should be a network exec IQ test.

82 Frog Fever

I believe NBC/CBS & Fox to a lesser extent have now agreed to pay the Big10 for a move of Wash/Oregon.
It doesn’t mean the B10 and the 2 schools will immediately come to a deal together, but it does clear a major debated roadblock about only inviting teams that add to the conference’s contract value.
This would wrap up a big programming window with USC, UCLA, Wash & Or.
It would now be Big10 After Dark on NBC.

HG73

I believe NBC/CBS & Fox to a lesser extent have now agreed to pay the Big10 for a move of Wash/Oregon.
It doesn’t mean the B10 and the 2 schools will immediately come to a deal together, but it does clear a major debated roadblock about only inviting teams that add to the conference’s contract value.
This would wrap up a big programming window with USC, UCLA, Wash & Or.
It would now be Big10 After Dark on NBC.
What makes you believe that? Hope you are right.

82 Frog Fever

What makes you believe that? Hope you are right.
Brett McMurphy made a cryptic statement on 365Sports the other day that Oregon & Wash. had been “vetted & cleared” by the B10 and they are “now ready for takeoff”
I had to check that out as to what he meant, so my wife works at Disney and sees items come over their potential news wires. We looked back a few days, and that’s exactly what McMurphy was referring too.
Well today on The Monty Show, they checked it out too, and they are reporting the exact same thing, as are several other podcasts.
It’s a great move by the networks NBC/CBS to basically get “football after dark” under one umbrella. NBC Universal talks with the PAC have not progressed well, and this move may be somewhat of a result of that.

Creeperfrog

Brett McMurphy made a cryptic statement on 365Sports the other day that Oregon & Wash. had been “vetted & cleared” by the B10 and they are “now ready for takeoff”
I had to check that out as to what he meant, so my wife works at Disney and sees items come over their potential news wires. We looked back a few days, and that’s exactly what McMurphy was referring too.
Well today on The Monty Show, they checked it out too, and they are reporting the exact same thing, as are several other podcasts.
It’s a great move by the networks NBC/CBS to basically get “football after dark” under one umbrella. NBC Universal talks with the PAC have not progressed well, and this move may be somewhat of a result of that.
Is this considered insider trading? Of course thats a joke, but I want my own informant. I guess it will have to be you 82 frog!

Creeperfrog

Well it’s really just news wires with unbelievable free access and search functions.
The problem is it’s still just reports from media. I wouldn’t trust it more than 60% until you see it happen.
60 percent of the time, it works everytime

will ferrell anchorman GIF

Limey Frog

Apparently a Washington Huskies paid fan site is "reporting" that UW and Oregon are set to announce a move to the Big Ten. It seems like a classic case of someone who is just connected enough to be aware of heavy smoke has rushed to boost his site's subscriber numbers by being the first to report a fire. The actual journalists who report on this stuff and aren't getting their information from the Pac 12 office seem to think that UW and Oregon probably have soft assurances from the Big Ten but that there's only a spot for them if the Pac collapses on its own (i.e., a deal is impossible and someone else bolts for the Big 12).

I guess it's possible that some numbers will be given in firm detail at the meeting tomorrow and a bunch of schools have things lined up to make moves once they can say "we saw the deal; the price was too low." Recent history suggests that nothing will happen and we'll just hear via John Wilner that there was a "positive update, no announcement of a deal expected soon as negotiations continue."