• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Wally the Frog

Both of them...
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

82 Frog Fever

People who suggest Tulane have to be 65+ years old. Tulane and Rice are not being added to P5 conferences.
In a sane world, yes, but If the PAC loses 4+ teams, Tulane’s recent success & AAU/academic ranking could get them an invite to the pile of crappola that remains.

But the 12 team playoff changes everything. Tulane would likely be better off in the AAC than a post-apocalyptic Pac??

Hemingway

In a sane world, yes, but If the PAC loses 4+ teams, Tulane’s recent success & AAU/academic ranking could get them an invite to the pile of crappola that remains.

But the 12 team playoff changes everything. Tulane would likely be better off in the AAC than a post-apocalyptic Pac??
All the shows with sources and mh3ver guy are saying some is happening in the coming weeks. So who knows? The new big 10 commish hasn’t made a move, with Rutgers and Maryland saying no more expansion it might be done.

CountryFrog

All the shows with sources and mh3ver guy are saying some is happening in the coming weeks. So who knows? The new big 10 commish hasn’t made a move, with Rutgers and Maryland saying no more expansion it might be done.
They've been saying that something is happening in the coming weeks for several months now. I suppose sooner or later they will be right.

Deep Purple

hard to charge for those newly built dorms when students don't set foot on campus so more like a profit center
That doesn't really happen at TCU. Even if they are student-athletes, freshmen and sophomores are required to live on-campus. I've been retired from TCU for nine months, but until that time I can attest that this policy was zealously enforced. On more than one occasion I saw recognizable football, basketball, and baseball players walking with their backpacks to their classes., or I ran into them in various academic buildings.

As far as residence halls being profit centers, it doesn't matter much where scholarship athletes are concerned. TCU is ultimatly paying the price of their rooming costs anyway.

Creeperfrog

That doesn't really happen at TCU. Even if they are student-athletes, freshmen and sophomores are required to live on-campus. I've been retired from TCU for nine months, but until that time I can attest that this policy was zealously enforced. On more than one occasion I saw recognizable football, basketball, and baseball players walking with their backpacks to their classes., or I ran into them in various academic buildings.

As far as residence halls being profit centers, it doesn't matter much where scholarship athletes are concerned. TCU is ultimatly paying the price of their rooming costs anyway.
As I know (nothing) Moncreif was the place for athletes and the gifted. I recall tcu wanted all under grads to stay on campus.i disagree, but that's their thought, I guess

jack the frog

I have an inside source. Something or nothing is happening in the coming weeks. You will soon see how well connected I am when this prophecy comes to fruition.

Of all the twittershere alignment know-nothings Greg Swaim is the worst. He covers the gamut of every conceivable possibility, every combination of PAC or ACC teams on the verge of joining the 12, all based on "sources". He never addresses the most likely outcome of inertia. He's running out of material.

Limey Frog

I have an inside source. Something or nothing is happening in the coming weeks. You will soon see how well connected I am when this prophecy comes to fruition.
Exactly. These troll accounts are ridiculous; they predict everything and if they're ever right it's only on stuff that you could deduce without any sources. The only person I pay attention to via Twitter on this stuff is Jason Scheer. He seems to have good sources at UA who actually give him information when they have it and want it to get out. He's pushed back on the Pac's narrative several times and been proved right, but he doesn't make any of the kinds of claims these troll accounts make.

That said, if any schools are going to move they likely will do it by the end of June. July 1st begins the new year in college athletics, and conference moves usually involve at least a full year's notice/transition time. So, yes: BREAKING NEWS! Something either will or won't happen by the end of June. Unless it happens later than that. Or doesn't.

Limey Frog

As far as actual journalists giving updates, such as they are, on this: Marchand and Ourand report that Amazon is "very unlikely" to be part of the Pac's deal (32:00 mark below if you want to hear that). They don't think ESPN is out, as such, which Dodd reported. But they say that ESPN is only interested "opportunistically" (i.e., their offer is still on the table but it's probably too low for the Pac--as East Coast posted here the other day).

The Washington State president claimed the other day that one media bidder was ready to sign with the Pac but wanted to wait six weeks because the deal would be "a bad look" right after laying off a bunch of people. That could be ESPN, but seemed more likely to be Amazon. Marchand and Ourand don't seem to think that either are likely to bid on the Pac, at least not at a price point that would satisfy the conference's members.

I'm not making any predications here; take this for what it's worth. Basically this is just more data to suggest that the Pac's most recently leaked delay (to "late spring or early summer") is just more stalling for time because they're in a very tight spot. They've been in a tight spot for months. For Kliavkoff at this point time may be an even more finite resource than cash is for ESPN.

Last edited: