• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

hiphopfroggy

Same reason they might be helping the Big 12 kill the Pac right now: because moving half of the remaining members and letting the rest (Wazzu, Wake Forest) go the way Rice went after 1995 cuts costs at the bottom end. They'd still have all the games they need and fewer "dilutive" [the term de jure] mouths to feed.
I suppose it is a matter of having the right amount of content to fill all the ABC owned TV sports slots. My guess is that they could use the ACC content in the future.

A major difference between the PAC and ACC from an ABC perspective is that ABC has meddled and invested heavily in the ACC over the last few decades, not so with the PAC.

ESPN is not invested in the PAC network which is their competitor, while they fully funded and own the ACC network.

FloridaFrog76129

Not sure that Marchand saying "watch Colorado" in a newsletter constitutes an update, but there it is. Many of his sources are at media companies, FWTW. He's probably getting this from ESPN.

No thanks - leave them for dead in the pac 12. They left already.

Give me Utah

East Coast

Tier 1

Give me Utah
They left to get away from UT, which is now gone. I'm sure PrimeTime is telling his administration Texas football and more access to the south > California football. Plus, he is all about exposure, and he has to be lobbying that a heavy streaming deal is bad for business.

Limey Frog

Give me Utah
Utah, Arizona, ASU, Colorado: get one, you get them all. I'm pretty sure that's how it will go if it does. If Arizona and Colorado are sufficiently displeased with the state of the Pac's non-deal to bolt, the other two will come along in due course. A few empty threats about taking San Diego State instead would see to that.

82 Frog Fever

Utah, Arizona, ASU, Colorado: get one, you get them all. I'm pretty sure that's how it will go if it does. If Arizona and Colorado are sufficiently displeased with the state of the Pac's non-deal to bolt, the other two will come along in due course. A few empty threats about taking San Diego State instead would see to that
Probably so.
Arizona has already set the stage for a conference exit and blame it on GK strategy.

The NYT article makes perfect sense on Colorado. Sanders is a dynamic “do things differently“ kind of guy who is always in the lead role on making changes. …and so is Yormark. Sanders has also already gotten Colorado to lower admission standards for his recruiting, and I bet he has the sway to get a conference change too.

I believe both SDSU & Fresno have PAC offers for after the “deal”, but the dominoes may fall anyway.

hometown frog

One of the twittersphere posters says the B12 is within a week of voting to accept three PAC members. Sounds like Zona, ASU and Colorado are the three coming first. So maybe something starts shaking free on this topic soon enough.

McFroggin

If the Big10 isn’t swooping in, I don’t see why we don’t nab the first 2 out of UA, ASU, Utah, Stanford, Colorado, and Cal that accept. With the PAC crashing down, UW and Oregon would be forced to Big12 or we take the next 2 of the first grouping that we want. 6 schools with initial offer that the first 2 that accept are the only guaranteed ones in. I bet that tilts some hands.

Eight

He was blessed with many attributes. But, eyes in the back of his head were not among them...
ODMwOTY4.gif