• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

82 Frog Fever

Compared to SMU, way more potential.
UTSA has a long way to go before they’re recognized outside of Texas, and possibly thought of as an equal to SMU.
UTSA plays in the minor leagues of the group of 5. In their history, they’ve never beaten a ranked team (0-10) and they’ve never won a bowl game (0-4).
They‘re going to have to prove themselves for at least 3 - 5 years in the AAC before they’re considered for any move up.

The Big Ten might prioritize Cal as the next target if they eye more of the PAC. Cal is the most prestigious public university in the country and according to the discussion on the video posted by peacock, Cal has an extraordinary budget of research dollars—the most in the world.

Washington and Stanford are next in research from the PAC but only at about 1/3 and 1/4 of what Cal spends. Only Johns Hopkins spends a bit over 50% of Cal’s research expenditures. Oregon might be last on the Big Ten‘s choice of those four from the PAC; overrated as a target for Big Ten entrance.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

UTSA has a long way to go before they’re recognized outside of Texas, and possibly thought of as an equal to SMU.
UTSA plays in the minor leagues of the group of 5. In their history, they’ve never beaten a ranked team (0-10) and they’ve never won a bowl game (0-4).
They‘re going to have to prove themselves for at least 3 - 5 years in the AAC before they’re considered for any move up.
The days of judging college programs based on what they did in the 1940’s or 1980’s is over. With NIL, nobodies like UTSA have the potential to get very good very quickly. And TV networks are more about potential viewership. I think SMU peaked in the 80’s and has been sliding since. But my comment about choosing UTSA over SMU was more a slap at SMU.

LVH

UTSA? Because San Antonio is a large city? You think they are all Roadrunners fans and grads? They horns and Ags. Good lord.
They've done a good job supporting UTSA at the Alamodome. UTSA crowds are like A&M sized crowds compared to SMU's.

Likely going to happen, unless the Big XII wants to keep SMU home.

Will everybody now think of SMU as a rival again so we can put that debate to rest?

The video peacock posted early today discussed the reasoning of SDSU and SMU.

It was a good breakdown comparison of the P5 and top G5 conferences academic rankings, research spending, athletic prowess and dollars and sense when it comes to evaluating leaving a P5 conference for another. Unless the PAC is gutted by the Big Ten it is very unlikely that a PAC school is leaving for the Big XII.

At one point Houston and TCU were at the top of the list for PAC expansion.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, PAC doesn’t need to add schools if they are going for a heavy streaming deal, adding inventory is a linear TV play. This is even more true when you consider these two schools specifically, both bringing relatively small fan bases but relatively large TV markets along… That’s telling me they are back to linear as their primary strategy, maybe with some digital, and possibly keeping the PAC Network alive too. As a reminder, ESPN offered to buy it years back and FOX has discussed a co-marketing agreement… they’d need to scale back still, but I could see it being viable long term (with a partner).

Hemingway

Will everybody now think of SMU as a rival again so we can put that debate to rest?

The video peacock posted early today discussed the reasoning of SDSU and SMU. It was a good breakdown comparison of the P5 conferences academic rankings, research spending, athletic prowess and dollars and sense when it comes to evaluating leaving a P5 conference for another.

I think the issue has and will always be will UW and Oregon sign a 10+ year GOR?? I just don’t see it. @Gary's Shirtless Revenge

Horned Toad

I’ll be pretty frustrated if SMU gets an invite to the Pac. Absolutely undeserving, by far and away the least deserving of any G5 school to be invited to a P5 conference.
I’m ok with it. We need more viable football conferences, not less. PAC won’t be a threat to the Big 12 but it may help keep the BIG and SEC from taking over the world.

Eight

The video peacock posted early today discussed the reasoning of SDSU and SMU.

It was a good breakdown comparison of the P5 and top G5 conferences academic rankings, research spending, athletic prowess and dollars and sense when it comes to evaluating leaving a P5 conference for another. Unless the PAC is gutted by the Big Ten it is very unlikely that a PAC school is leaving for the Big XII.

no on smu being anything other than a game we play once a year with no real importance outside the metroplex and hasn't been relevant for a conference or the nation in decades

Chongo94

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe Clan