• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

When whatever’s going to happen finally happens, the long descent of college athletics into one of America’s most contemptible institutions will be complete. The life’s work of clueless college presidents, soulless conference commissioners and greedy athletics administrators will be the ruin of tradition, the mockery of common sense and the thirst to keep score in dollars above all other metrics.
….
Texas felt like it was slipping out of the club, so it sold out the Big 12 to jump to an SEC where it will make more money but have less of an advantage competitively. Southern Cal got antsy with the Pac-12, so it engineered a move to the Big Ten and brought UCLA along, delivering a blow that nobody could have recovered from.

Now Florida State seeks to do the same, and why would they think a document is going to stop them? The precedent in college sports, from institutions to athletics directors to coaches and athletes on down is that contracts and commitments don’t mean anything. Everyone is free to do business with -- and prey upon -- whomever they please.
….
We have 40 years of data telling us exactly where this enterprise is heading, and nobody is going to like it except the handful of schools at the very top. That’s the existential crisis at hand: Not NIL, not making players employees, not the transfer portal or anything like that but rather the very idea that your university is disposable if it's not one of the top 30 revenue-generators.

There are a lot of reasons it happened this way, but mostly because college sports changed from a small business to a bloated, self-indulgent industry where administrators could expect close to a seven-figure annual salary, getting wined and dined at five-star resorts and a level of fame that fed their voracious egos if they rose high enough in the industry.

And the way to get there was, of course, to keep raising — and, more importantly, spending — ridiculous amounts of money. All that mattered was feeding the beast. You build fancy locker rooms, you hand out massive contract extensions to coaches who have one good year, you hire an army of deputy athletic directors to do redundant jobs. You kept moving up the ladder until one day you were running one of the big schools or maybe even an entire conference.

And the television networks were right there riding shotgun, shoveling more money into their pocket every decade or so, making them think that the gravy train would never stop.

Now, the television business is changing. ESPN and Fox are becoming more choosy about where they spend. As the Pac-12 found out during the last year of media rights negotiations, there was nobody else out there to rescue them. As the ACC explores options to grow revenue and calm the waters with unhappy members like Florida State and Clemson, it will likely find the same thing.

But decades of being hooked on those dollars will justify whatever dirty business they choose to do. The mangled value system of College Sports Inc. has ensured there’s no other way for them to operate.

Last edited:
If the Big12 got Alabama, LSU, UT, and UCLA, basketball and football would be even better. Oh wait, none of this [ Finebaum ] has a chance of happening.

In fairness there is is real talk of 8 ACC teams leaving since that voids the GOR. The Big 10 or SEC isn’t going to take them all. There are great basketball teams in ACC and not as many great football programs. When ACC breaks up we should be looking East not west.

82 Frog Fever

Hopefully. If I was Oregon and Washington this is what I’d be doing. Use the Pac 12 as leverage to get as much money out of the B1G as possible.
The problem is the B1G is just not that in to Oregon. The offer I heard last is $37m and Oregon is crying it’s just not fair.

Right now Oregon is weighing that against remaining as the PAC Kahuna, with a lopsided GOR and a yellow brick road to the CFP.
Oregon’s option B above, and failure to move to the B1G, may be the only chance the PAC has to survive.

Hemingway

The problem is the B1G is just not that in to Oregon. The offer I heard last is $37m and Oregon is crying it’s just not fair.

Right now Oregon is weighing that against remaining as the PAC Kahuna, with a lopsided GOR and a yellow brick road to the CFP.
Oregon’s option B above, and failure to move to the B1G, may be the only chance the PAC has to survive.
You mean PACINO
PAC In Name Only

I must say, I like your optimism!
I think while everyone is focused on just football building the top Basketball only conference is brilliant. A separate deal just for men’s basketball. There are tons of great basketball programs to grab that bring high value and way more games than football has. Also they don’t conflict with football season. Gonzaga, Uconn, Villanova, other Big East teams. I don’t think it has been done before.

Frog-in-law1995

I think while everyone is focused on just football building the top Basketball only conference is brilliant. A separate deal just for men’s basketball. There are tons of great basketball programs to grab that bring high value and way more games than football has. Also they don’t conflict with football season. Gonzaga, Uconn, Villanova, other Big East teams. I don’t think it has been done before.
Realignment Moneyball.