• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

froginaustin

Baylor Hospital?

Might as well be Murphy Hospital or Johnson Hospital as far as a relationship with Baylor University goes. Sames goes for Baylor Medical College. Also, once upon a time there was a Baylor Dental School, and it is now Texas A&M Dental School, sort of like how Wesleyan Law turned into A&M Law.

Baylor University. A case study in how to deconstruct a university system?

tcudoc

Might as well be Murphy Hospital or Johnson Hospital as far as a relationship with Baylor University goes. Sames goes for Baylor Medical College. Also, once upon a time there was a Baylor Dental School, and it is now Texas A&M Dental School, sort of like how Wesleyan Law turned into A&M Law.

Baylor University. A case study in how to deconstruct a university system?
Yes, the Baylor name in the health industry is extremely convoluted. Baylor College of Dentistry, in 1995, officially became part of the Texas A&M Health Science Center. Baylor College of Medicine left Dallas to move to the Texas Medical Center decades ago, leaving the remnant Baylor University Medical Center. That expanded to become Baylor Health, a forty-ish hospital system. Then, in about 2012, Baylor health merged with Scott and White Health to form BSWH, which is about 52 hospitals total. None of which are officially affiliated with Baylor University. Baylor College of Medicine is no longer affiliated with Baylor University for the past several decades. Interestingly, Baylor College of Medicine will have its first class in the spring that will be the first branch campus outside of Houston and it will be about 50 students in Temple at the original Scott & White.
So, yeah, Baylor used to have medical and dental schools. But not any longer do they have them with any affiliation with their undergrad campus.

Hemingway

Don’t count your chickens yet, actually heard mid-week that PAC was starting to finalize some things with a new partner… not saying ASU is happy or anything, just that the PAC might get a good-enough deal as of yet.

And the sticking point seems to be that several schools don’t want to depend on streaming. Would that be enough to jump ship?

Hemingway

I understand the Big 12 still thinks it’s more likely the Pac 10 will hold than lose members.

It’s funny that it’s leaked the Pac 12 commish will visit other expansion candidates. The funniest timeline would be SMU getting bumped at the last minute for UNLV.
I bet UW and UO ask for a 5yr gor and the four corners bolt the place.

Your perspective here and in other posts is not based in the reality of the business of college sports. You’re mostly looking at the wrong metrics and incorrectly interpreting the others.

1. SMU, even with a desperate invite from the P12, is decades behind TCU. Their “better academic rating” is marginal too anyone outside the alumni bases. You mention grad student numbers but the real metric is undergrads. They have far fewer and no intent to expand they. Thus a much smaller fan base with little prospect of changing. Their athletics spending is abysmal. Just like their results. SMU in the Pac will not win titles, will not make noise, etc., because they are not invested in big time athletics.

2. Baylor ain’t getting AAU status. They have no medical enterprise and it’s nearly impossible to get there without one these days unless you have a gazillion dollar endowment and world class engineering and science facilities with world renowned researchers (I.e. Rice, Cal, etc.).
I was simply stating that SMU and Baylor appear to focus more on postgrad students (3x as many) and research than TCU does. And if SMU gets a Power 5 (P5) platform and its revenue to build their athletics up to similar P5 programs, such as TCU in DFW, research could matter someday down the road if choosing one school from DFW. Research matters to schools of the PAC, ACC and B1G and maybe even to some degree in the SEC.

I know alums from postgrad programs of the Big Ten and PAC whom turn their noses up with academic research pride and don’t believe schools such as Oklahoma or TCU are worthy of entering their conference—it is NOT just an athletic conference. The Big Ten would likely not bring in Nebraska if they had a do-over.

Postgrad alums may be discounted by some degree on P5 applications, and that is what matters, but I count postgrad students and these alums as part of the fan base (I was postgrad at TCU), yet I agree that as a whole they may not be as devoted as the undergrad whole. However, I attended a Division 3 college for undergrad and many postgrad students at TCU and SMU may have attended smaller schools and don’t have allegiance to another P5 team. Postgrads may attend TCU and SMU because they have affinity for smaller private universities having come from a smaller school. I gift similar dollars to TCU and my undergrad and know P5 postgrads whom are very strong fans and alums.

If SMU accepts a PAC invite, that may suggest they are prioritizing their athletic program and the unexpected invite may further invigorate them. They did complete a performance center with an indoor practice field in 2020 and are currently adding a $100M+ football facility to their south end zone. It does appear they are short on land and may be compromising facilities some because of it, ha. Maybe lacking hope of entering a P5 over the last couple decades, SMU chose not to build unnecessary athletic facilities on what is very limited and valuable land on their campus and surrounding neighborhood.

But you are probably correct and SMU may not invest enough in big time athletics. I appreciate your thought.

Last edited: