• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Confucius say baseball wrong. Man with 4 balls cannot walk.
Ya better consult those pinyin characters again...

Confucius say: Man with 4 balls walk with great difficulty.
Confucius also say: Man with 4 balls very popular with ladies.

Nick Danger

Last edited:
The AAC conference this year and last show how bad an unbalanced schedule can be, and they are only at 11 schools and play an eight game conference schedule.

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF are the three best teams and UH did not play either Cincy nor UCF during the regular season last year, and again will not this season—two seasons. It is hard to build enthusiasm in your fan base when you look at that schedule on paper. It is bad enough for one year, but then two, sheesh. I assume the cause is because of opting for back-to-back home and away matchups, but this shows that format can really be a big miss at times, and for consecutive years.

Last edited:

An-Cap Frog

The AAC conference this year and last show how bad an unbalanced schedule can be, and they are only at 11 schools and play an eight game conference schedule.

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF are the three best teams and UH did not play either Cincy nor UCF during the regular season last year and will not again this season—two seasons. It is hard to build enthusiasm in your fan base when you look at that schedule on paper. It is bad enough for one year, but then two, sheesh. I assume the cause is for back-to-back home and away matchups on consecutive years, but this shows that format can really be a big miss at times, and for consecutive years.
So basically they are in the Big 10 West...

I think the Big Ten West schedule works because it has old state flagship rivalry and Wisconsin and Iowa have been solid. This year Purdue and Minnesota should compete. Then they add in three cross divison games, but yes, you will go years without playing either Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. I think the schools of the Big Ten West stand on their own with rivalry while being competitive enough that fans of the Big Ten West schools are happy.

Last edited:
The Big Ten might be the best example of how two divisions can become close to being two small conferences again, with good rivalry, while being under one Big Ten tent. But I think that is difficult to replicate. And now with USC and UCLA added in that will change/disrupt.

An-Cap Frog

I think the Big Ten West schedule works because it has old state flagship rivalry and Wisconsin and Iowa have been solid. This year Purdue and Minnesota should compete. Then they add in three cross divison games, but yes, you will go years without playing either Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State. I think the schools of the Big Ten West stand on their own with rivalry while being competitive enough that fans of the Big Ten West schools are happy.

Case in point look at Minn's schedule...then look at Maryland's.

Last edited:
Purdue is in the East...
Purdue is in the West and Indiana is in the East but I think the scheduling allows them to play each other every year in the Old Oaken Bucket game as in-state, but now cross divison, rivals—the state of Indiana is the West/East dividing line.

The Big Ten might have more rivalry trophy games (cool trophies) than any other conference. Those trophies add rivalry to the game—old rivalry.

Last edited:

An-Cap Frog

Purdue is in the West and Indiana is in the East but I think they manage to play each other every year in the Old Oaken Bucket game as instate but now cross divison rivals—the state of Indiana is the West/East dividing line.

The Big Ten might have more rivalry trophy games (cool trophies) than other conference, which I like. Those trophies add rivalry to the game—old rivalries.
I corrected my post...was thinking they were in the East for whatever reason.

An-Cap Frog

Purdue is in the West and Indiana is in the East but I think they manage to play each other every year in the Old Oaken Bucket game as instate but now cross divison rivals—the state of Indiana is the West/East dividing line.

The Big Ten might have more rivalry trophy games (cool trophies) than other conference, which I like. Those trophies add rivalry to the game—old rivalries.
Maryland has a brutal schedule...Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin Penn State, Ohio State...crossover Wisco, Purdue, NW...throw in non-con SMU. At least only 4 conference road games...

Rabidfrog

What are your choices. Live life. Enjoy life. Become a politician, try and change things. Storm the capitol over BS protestations of a person with visions of grandeur. Elect a senile old dude that thinks Saudi oil is somehow cleaner than using our own.

Politics are always going to be around. Always has, always will be. Your guy will get elected, the other guy will be elected. If you are going to let it rule your life and happiness, it’s likely going to be a bumpy road. Similarly, the farther out on the limb left or right, your high lows will just be magnified,
glib