• The KillerFrogs

Best Thermal Underwear for sitting in a cold stadium?

SwissArmyFrog

I've tried a number of combinations, but always seem to have great difficulty staying warm at AGC when it's cold (or being out in the cold in most any situation).

The one thing I haven't tried yet is thermal underwear. I've looked at everything from Hanes/Dickies/Fruit of the Loom to Smartwool Merino 250.

I'm not a winter athlete, just looking for the most effective way to stay warm when sitting in a cold environment. Any recommendations would be MOST appreciated! :)

Eight

The heat will be on at ATT Stadium. Now walking to the stadium will be a different story.

you sure, jerry might try to save a couple of dollars

been to the baseball tournament in houston a few times where the heat damn well wasn't turned on and they had no coffee at the concessions either

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
you sure, jerry might try to save a couple of dollars

been to the baseball tournament in houston a few times where the heat damn well wasn't turned on and they had no coffee at the concessions either
They don't have heat at Minute Maid Park. Only A/C. Evidently, they figured that it was extremely unlikely that there would be a game played under freezing-ass conditions in Houston...

As to the OP's question, whatever the stuff is with the micro-fleece is really nice. Creates a good layer of warmth next to the skin. The thing is, in situations like, say, the 2015 Baylor game, where the temperature in in the 30s and there is a howling wind blowing mist and rain along, about the only thing that will do the job is a full-on weatherproof suit or waterproof trousers with a heavy poncho and good insulated gear underneath.

"There is no such thing as inclement weather, only inappropriate clothing."

HornyWartyToad

I've tried a number of combinations, but always seem to have great difficulty staying warm at AGC when it's cold (or being out in the cold in most any situation).

The one thing I haven't tried yet is thermal underwear. I've looked at everything from Hanes/Dickies/Fruit of the Loom to Smartwool Merino 250.

I'm not a winter athlete, just looking for the most effective way to stay warm when sitting in a cold environment. Any recommendations would be MOST appreciated! :)

I've been a semi-serious hunter off and on for 40 or so years and tried many different combos. Also, experience snow skiing factors in. The thing you have to try to balance is to have layers so that when you are physically engaged, (i.e., walking to a blind, actively skiing, walking a mile to your seats, etc) you don't have on so much that you sweat, because then when you get stationary and exposed to the elements you are damp/wet and miserable.
SO- Layers!!! An outer shell that's water proof but not too heavy. Carry it but don't put it on until you get seated and cool off. Below that, some loose-fitting, BREATHABLE fabric (Cotton or wool) that allows air to circulate). Below that, your thermal layer. All the new, modern stuff is good, but honestly the very best I've ever had(and still do) is the off-white, 100% wool long johns that Uncle Sugar gave me all those years ago. Should be able to find them pretty easily at the Military Surplus stores.
One final tip- Take a small cushion to sit on- It'll be as valuable as a thermal buffer between you and concrete or metal as it is as padding. Especially if it's been raining.
BTW, the same theory works great for footwear- In cold / wet conditions I like to wear boots that are about 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, and have a snug-fitting pair of thick wool socks on underneath. Boots are still a little bit loose, so the socks breathe easily and don't get sweaty, and allow for good blood circulation. Good luck!

Panther City Frog

They don't have heat at Minute Maid Park. Only A/C. Evidently, they figured that it was extremely unlikely that there would be a game played under freezing-ass conditions in Houston...

As to the OP's question, whatever the stuff is with the micro-fleece is really nice. Creates a good layer of warmth next to the skin. The thing is, in situations like, say, the 2015 Baylor game, where the temperature in in the 30s and there is a howling wind blowing mist and rain along, about the only thing that will do the job is a full-on weatherproof suit or waterproof trousers with a heavy poncho and good insulated gear underneath.

"There is no such thing as inclement weather, only inappropriate clothing."
Man. After that game I went home, took a hot shower, put on sweats and crawled into bed under every cover I could find and was still shivering. But hey, [Baylor asshoe]!

SwissArmyFrog

Man. After that game I went home, took a hot shower, put on sweats and crawled into bed under every cover I could find and was still shivering. But hey, [Baylor asshoe]!

I was there too, haha. Miserable. Every TV time out and "the previous play is under review" was excruciating o_O

But I was miserable at the Iowa State game, and even with the wind blowing in my face, I knew I shouldn't have been. As BrewingFrog said, "There is no such thing as inclement weather, only inappropriate clothing."

Come live here in Pittsburgh for 30 years and you'll feel like it's hot outside when it's 35 degrees in December.

Seriously, though...these new fleece-lined microfiber pants (or fleece-lined denim) that are available everywhere are what I wear, with my Gore-Tex golf rain pants on top of them. Then several layers for the top, with the Gore-Tex rain jacket. I've been fine down to 10-12 degrees with that combination. It's the feet and fingers you have to worry about when it gets that cold.

JugbandFrog

I’m wearing whatever the Showgirls have on. They don’t get cold
bbdfff70ae7c63905bf9d2dab155c878.jpg

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Come live here in Pittsburgh for 30 years and you'll feel like it's hot outside when it's 35 degrees in December.

Seriously, though...these new fleece-lined microfiber pants (or fleece-lined denim) that are available everywhere are what I wear, with my Gore-Tex golf rain pants on top of them. Then several layers for the top, with the Gore-Tex rain jacket. I've been fine down to 10-12 degrees with that combination. It's the feet and fingers you have to worry about when it gets that cold.
5ffb5b5f-4ab4-4ef7-a292-cc908b103c72_text.gif

WhatTheFrog

I've been a semi-serious hunter off and on for 40 or so years and tried many different combos. Also, experience snow skiing factors in. The thing you have to try to balance is to have layers so that when you are physically engaged, (i.e., walking to a blind, actively skiing, walking a mile to your seats, etc) you don't have on so much that you sweat, because then when you get stationary and exposed to the elements you are damp/wet and miserable.
SO- Layers!!! An outer shell that's water proof but not too heavy. Carry it but don't put it on until you get seated and cool off. Below that, some loose-fitting, BREATHABLE fabric (Cotton or wool) that allows air to circulate). Below that, your thermal layer. All the new, modern stuff is good, but honestly the very best I've ever had(and still do) is the off-white, 100% wool long johns that Uncle Sugar gave me all those years ago. Should be able to find them pretty easily at the Military Surplus stores.
One final tip- Take a small cushion to sit on- It'll be as valuable as a thermal buffer between you and concrete or metal as it is as padding. Especially if it's been raining.
BTW, the same theory works great for footwear- In cold / wet conditions I like to wear boots that are about 1-2 sizes bigger than normal, and have a snug-fitting pair of thick wool socks on underneath. Boots are still a little bit loose, so the socks breathe easily and don't get sweaty, and allow for good blood circulation. Good luck!
This. I never really bought into the whole layering thing, thinking I would end up like the little brother in A Christmas Story. The key is multiple thin layers. That way you don't lose any mobility, but the layers work even when thin. When it's really cold, you can use underwear under a silk base layer under a thermal layer under jeans for the bottom and undershirt under silk under thermal under long sleeve t under whatever. You will stay warm.

HornyWartyToad

This. I never really bought into the whole layering thing, thinking I would end up like the little brother in A Christmas Story. The key is multiple thin layers. That way you don't lose any mobility, but the layers work even when thin. When it's really cold, you can use underwear under a silk base layer under a thermal layer under jeans for the bottom and undershirt under silk under thermal under long sleeve t under whatever. You will stay warm.
Yep, and also IMO, a huge part of what people get wrong is wearing layers that are too snug. You need the outer layer to be loose enough to allow a layer of air between because if not there is too much radiant heat loss.