• The KillerFrogs

Baylor boycotts him, so we need to support him

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Heim is great.

Travis and Emma are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet it your life. And they love the frogs.

I've been eating at Heim since the food trailer days. Brisket isn't as stupid good as it used to be when you ordered from the food truck and Travis Heim cut you fresh brisket right there in front of you, but it's still the best in Fort Worth if you get a good cut.

That's really my only "beef" with them. I like places where I can watch them cut and weigh my brisket right in front of me, and I'm not afraid to ask for a different cut if they're cutting from a brisket that's been sitting out for a while or looks a little dried out.

I'm not a sandwich guy. I enjoy my brisket without any distractions, so I can savor and appreciate the quality of the meat. I'll usually order half a pound with a side of bacon burnt ends. If you order a meat plate that comes with sides, I feel like you get skimped on the amount of meat.

My perfect brisket is moist and fatty, with some nice flavored bark that all melts in your mouth. When Heim is on, they're hard to beat. But since each order is now prepared back in the kitchen, I feel like there have been a few times where the quality and portion size has left me a little disappointed. When the meat is being cut in front of you, there's a little more accountability. The line probably won't move as fast, but I really hope they go back to this concept in the new restaurant in the River district.
Quality always goes down when the owners finally reach the point where they can step back. I guarantee they did (and continue to do) everything to ensure that everything is still perfect, but I know of no way to get around it.

That said, I still haven't been but am finally going Saturday evening and I can't wait.

Frogfart

Ironically, Coopers cooks its brisket (and everything else) on rotisseries now, then transfer them to the pit for the tourists. Not many locals eat there.
Within 30 minutes of eating at Coopers I was sick, Worse part of it I was on my motorcycle. Made for a very long and uncomfortable afternoon!

Frogfart

Haven't been to Heim but I definitely will now!! Agree that BBQ on the Brazos is my favorite in the NTX area but I'll take Cooper's in Llano as my TX fave with Kreuz a close second.

Has anyone been to Snow's in Lexington?

Snow's is good, but my favorite in the area in City Meat Market in Giddings

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I had La Barbecue in Austin Friday. It's terrific.

Ate at Heim today for first time. It's as good as it gets. The brisket and jalapeño sausage were as good as any I have had. And if you don't like the green chile mac and cheese I don't know what to think of you. I would like them to have a spicier sauce option but now I'm nitpicking. It's great.