• The KillerFrogs

bad coaching

hindry

some wag opined and i paraphrase

'peterson left a 17 million dollar decision to a freshman field goal kicker.'

the thesis being that k.moore had talent and ability to get ball in end zone so to leave bcs bowl to an untried, untested freshman was poor decision making

the thesis being that k.moore had talent and ability to get ball in end zone so to leave bcs bowl to an untried, untested freshman was poor decision making

Lot of things look dumb in hindsight, but TCU had basically shut Moore down the whole drive. Pressure was getting better every play as the Olineman were gassed. Penalties were the only reason they even got into FG range in the first place. Peterson was lucky to get his chance just as we were lucky to get ours with the fumble.

hindry

Lot of things look dumb in hindsight, but TCU had basically shut Moore down the whole drive. Pressure was getting better every play as the Olineman were gassed. Penalties were the only reason they even got into FG range in the first place. Peterson was lucky to get his chance just as we were lucky to get ours with the fumble.

sounds good...i didn't necessarily agree with the comment, but it was an interesting take.

me, i was always scared of moore, and thought him quite capable of putting it in the end zone on last drive. he would have had 3 chances, once when they choose to center the ball and the other was the kick itself and maybe another play with proper clock management so they threw away 3 chances for moore to connect.

Frog DJ

Penalties were the only reason they even got into FG range in the first place.
Right there with ya, Bonner.

Go back and look at BSU's last possession.

Other than the penalties, they only gained a handful of yards rushing.

TCU's front four was getting more and more pressure on Moore, with each ensuing play.

He was getting frustrated - whining about phantom late hits, and calling for PI after each incompletion.

I think it was only a matter of time before the Frogs got a sack or an INT.

The FG attempt was the right call - it just didn't work.

Thank God!

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

sous vide

sounds good...i didn't necessarily agree with the comment, but it was an interesting take.

me, i was always scared of moore, and thought him quite capable of putting it in the end zone on last drive. he would have had 3 chances, once when they choose to center the ball and the other was the kick itself and maybe another play with proper clock management so they threw away 3 chances for moore to connect.

At most he would have gotten 3 chances if they gave up the fg option. Bad odds counting on a td in 3 plays in my opinion compared to a short fg.

Keeping the fg as a last resort, there was only time for maybe 2 plays. Maybe only one with a completion in bounds. The fg was already not much more than a long chip shot even with a young kicker. And as has been mentioned, a sack or a hold would have been a true disaster which would have taken the fg completely off the table.

On balance, Peterson made a completely defensible call that was absolutely better than try to score by air in 3 plays and certainly as good as taking a shot and then trying the fg.

weklfrog

At most he would have gotten 3 chances if they gave up the fg option. Bad odds counting on a td in 3 plays in my opinion compared to a short fg.

Keeping the fg as a last resort, there was only time for maybe 2 plays. Maybe only one with a completion in bounds. The fg was already not much more than a long chip shot even with a young kicker. And as has been mentioned, a sack or a hold would have been a true disaster which would have taken the fg completely off the table.

On balance, Peterson made a completely defensible call that was absolutely better than try to score by air in 3 plays and certainly as good as taking a shot and then trying the fg.
They could have run the ball the last several plays and still advanced with pass interference calls.

Plus once they crossed midfield, the deep ball got removed. Perhaps it was fortunate they got the ball at the 40, which made them think field goal rather than throwing deep on McCoy only to burn him again.

frogbyproxy

Poor thesis if you research properly and get both sides! It's only wrong to use a freshman kicker when he fails! How many others did the young man make? Also It was the laces pointed towards the kicker or didn't you see the pictures and videos????

SouthTexasToad

I think that y'all are looking at this too much in hindsight.

At the time Peterson was gifted a pass interference call that kept the Broncos in the game. The TCU defense was putting a lot of pressure on Kellen, and being effective at stopping the drive. They had to do something to get a score on the board, and passing and running were not cutting it at the 50 yard line, so what are the chances of it working when the field starts to shrink and their receivers are not in space anymore?

Being at the 39 yard line means that they can go for the kick and not have to worry about losing out on the time battle or the ever increasing possibility for a sack or interception. I think any coach would look at this as a godsend, even with a freshman kicker who had never had a kick that far in his career. Especially if the coach asked his kicker if he felt he could make it and was told yes.

The kick was the smart coaching move. To throw or run the ball would have been the ballsy coaching move. It boils down to the coach playing it safe or going for a hail mary. Nine times out of ten, the safe way wins the game. Taking the kick makes him a better coach in my opinion. It just didn't work out like it should have, and maybe that is the Karma for the bad officiating with the pass interference call.

That said, I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes.

Westsider

The big mistake for Peterson was using his third down to set up the field goal between the hashmarks. Shoulda gone for the first down or td instead and still had the fg on fourth down... hashmark or no hashmark. He wasted an opportunity.

steelfrog

Tier 1

KM had one second to go 22 yards against our much improved D. The odds were definitely with the FG kicker.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
KM had one second to go 22 yards against our much improved D. The odds were definitely with the FG kicker.

It was 3rd and 5 with :21 left at the 20, and 1 timeout in their pocket. Moore ran the sneak to the middle of the field, then they called timeout with :03 left to kick the FG..

staypurple12

Peterson was playing for the FG from the beginning. Look at the route combinations. He could have burned timeouts earlier and preserved time but killed the clock at the LOS on 1st down. He was setting up for a mid-field attempt inside the 35-40....if he was not then he would have managed the clock differently because he was behind.

A kicker doesn't have to crush a ball at that angle. An extra point is 20 yards and typically lands 15-20 yards behind the goal-posts (HS) unless contacts a net. The wind was minimal.

Down 1 point with Ross Evans, Patterson probably would have strategized the same. Patterson's decision to go for 2 had nothing to do with Ross Evans. If we kick the PAT then Peterson would have run the clock out and played for OT...in my opinion...and I agree with Coach Patterson that Boise at home with their arsenal of junk has the upper hand in OT. The Frog defense was at their best defending the field and not the red-zone. Boise was something like 100% inside the red zone for the year (if I saw the stat right).

Peterson's decision was dead on. The kicker shanked it...simple. All he needed to do was get it off the tee. I will bet he does a one-step drill 2-3 days a week and can hit 37 yarders down the pipe like it was child's play.

Houston Frog

The big mistake for Peterson was using his third down to set up the field goal between the hashmarks. Shoulda gone for the first down or td instead and still had the fg on fourth down... hashmark or no hashmark. He wasted an opportunity.

Agree with this

Either way, you gotta kick it.... it wasn't a 54 yarder, it was a 38 yard kick

Frog@512

Peterson made the safer call. Like everybody said, Moore was getting more pressure and making less accurate throws. Our defense was amped up. A FG was more likely to put points on the board than forced passes.

Gotta hand it to the D. Knocking that ball out and then not stopping until the game was won. Those BS penalties did not phase them they got right back to business. No [Rod Gilmore] like Kellen Moore was doing.

PhillyFrog

Wouldn't be having this conversation if a certain someone hadn't whiffed a clean shot at a sack on Moore on that PI play.

There are a million reasons we won, and they lost, that game.