• The KillerFrogs

B12 does not have the patent on bad officiating.

Limp Lizard

Bad calls on both sides for sure. Of course, the press is emphasizing the questionable calls against Michigan.

Plenty against the Frogs, too. Mickey Mouse roughing the passer. No call when DB was holding Davis's arm just before the ball arrived. Bogus holding against Tomlinson: even the announcers could not see holding on the replay.

As bad as anything in B12 games. Sorry guys. Maybe the good crews were at home watching the Peach Bowl.

And we still won.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Truth Tru GIF

Wexahu

Officiating is hard. If the expectation is for them to get every call right in real time it’s not just hard, it’s impossible. Especially since things like PI, holding, etc are largely judgment calls. Coaches make idiotic decisions, QBs make terrible passes, running backs fumble, WRs drop passes, but yet officials are supposed to be absolutely mistake free?

It’s so easy to watch a slow motion replay and see what the call should maybe be. Officials don’t have that luxury.

Overall, I thought it was just fine. The call on Hodges was terrible. It happens from time to time. I’d love to see you out there calling a game and having replay to review all your calls to see if they were right.

Palliative Care

Agreed with Wexahu. Of coarse replay magnifies all the mistakes. Still I am not as bent since we won. At least they got the targeting right.

Officiating is hard. If the expectation is for them to get every call right in real time it’s not just hard, it’s impossible. Especially since things like PI, holding, etc are largely judgment calls. Coaches make idiotic decisions, QBs make terrible passes, running backs fumble, WRs drop passes, but yet officials are supposed to be absolutely mistake free?

It’s so easy to watch a slow motion replay and see what the call should maybe be. Officials don’t have that luxury.

Overall, I thought it was just fine. The call on Hodges was terrible. It happens from time to time. I’d love to see you out there calling a game and having replay to review all your calls to see if they were right.
What a reasonable post. Honestly I was shocked they didn't go with targeting on that last Michigan play. My heart sunk when I saw it.

Wexahu

What a reasonable post. Honestly I was shocked they didn't go with targeting on that last Michigan play. My heart sunk when I saw it.
I think they would have called it if it was in a different situation in the game (I’ve seen “lesser” hits called targeting), but to call it on that play in that situation it would have to be really egregious. It wasn’t, and the official made the right no call.

Would’ve been a damn shame if THT had to sit out the first half of next week because of that.

Endless Purple

There was no launch at the ball carrier, which is a part that most do not comment on. That plus some shots look more like the side or corner of the helmet, would have made this a tough call to make after the fact.

Pharm Frog

I think they would have called it if it was in a different situation in the game (I’ve seen “lesser” hits called targeting), but to call it on that play in that situation it would have to be really egregious. It wasn’t, and the official made the right no call.

Would’ve been a damn shame if THT had to sit out the first half of next week because of that.
Was it THT? And….I think it would have been our ball anyway since possession changed immediately if his knee was down before the hit.

Limp Lizard

I know what you are saying. But this was not better than the B12 officiating people here constantly whine about.

froginmn

That would have been really terrible since it was Keeyon Stewart who made the hit.

:p

crash813

Overall I didn't think the crew was terrible. Calls went both ways which is what I usually key on. Regardless of 'they took away a TD', officiating didn't dictate this game.

WhatTheFrog

I thought the officiating of the other playoff game was pretty bad, too. Told my wife that it must be a Big12 crew, but turned out to be PAC12.

Deep Purple

The officiating sucked. I can understand an official missing an infraction that he did not see happen. What I can’t accept is when they “see” see an infraction that just did not occur. That is inexcusable. If you believe you saw an infraction but aren’t 100% confident of what you think you saw, the flag should never come out of your pocket. Too many phantom infractions get called, materially affecting the trek of the game.

Wexahu

The officiating sucked. I can understand an official missing an infraction that he did not see happen. What I can’t accept is when they “see” see an infraction that just did not occur. That is inexcusable. If you believe you saw an infraction but aren’t 100% confident of what you think you saw, the flag should never come out of your pocket. Too many phantom infractions get called, materially affecting the trek of the game.
What bad calls did you see, other than the one on Hodges? How many other flags did they throw that they shouldn’t have?

puckster59

Totally agree on the timing. It was unfortunate to have happened at all, though. Michigan fans will be saying years from now that cost them the game (BS as that is).