• The KillerFrogs

B12 Championship vs. OSU, 430 pm

Frog DJ

frogfaninarlington said:
I liked the way the players treated winning this game. The absence of the ridiculous dog-pile (ala LSU after its win over Florida) says their sights have been and still are set on bigger things.

There is much work still to be done, and this shows an "all-business" attitude from TCU.

Go Frogs!

10 Key Frog

Deep Purple said:

Then the Tournament is misnamed, right?

And if the regular season championship is just as glorious, how come the postseason championship factors more largely into NCAA seeding?
Tournament winner comes with the bid to the ncaa tournament. Just the way it works just like in basketball. The committee picking teams though looks at regular season championships too.

Not sure what's hard to understand that there's a "Regular Season Championship" and "Tournament Championship". Tournament isn't misnamed. It's just that there's two champions for the Big 12 2014 year.

Deep Purple

10 Key Frog said:
Tournament winner comes with the bid to the ncaa tournament. Just the way it works just like in basketball. The committee picking teams though looks at regular season championships too.

Not sure what's hard to understand that there's a "Regular Season Championship" and "Tournament Championship". Tournament isn't misnamed. It's just that there's two champions for the Big 12 2014 year.

But the Tournament advertises itself as the "Big 12 Baseball Championship" -- not the "Baseball Tournament Championship."

Moreover, the Big 12 site store is selling "TCU Champions" shirts, but not "Oklahoma State Champions" shirts.

So contrary to explanations here, the conference doesn't appear to give the two equal weight.  That's what's so hard to understand about an explanation like "neither is more glorious than the other."

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Deep Purple said:

But the Tournament advertises itself as the "Big 12 Baseball Championship" -- not the "Baseball Tournament Championship."

Moreover, the Big 12 site store is selling "TCU Champions" shirts, but not "Oklahoma State Champions" shirts.

So contrary to explanations here, the conference doesn't appear to give the two equal weight.  That's what's so hard to understand about an explanation like "neither is more glorious than the other."

The shirt says tournament champions.

MrMcgibblets said:
Eat a dick mother boater.
Meanie. I was trying to pay you kids a compliment. Even if it is a down year for baseball in the Big 12, you won the tournament. I thought that would be exciting for you. But apparently, at least some of you have dicks on your mind.

Not surprising, but I thought this would be an occasion when you wouldn't.

I was wrong. Carry on.

GlendarrochFrog

iconoclast said:
Meanie. I was trying to pay you kids a compliment. Even if it is a down year for baseball in the Big 12, you won the tournament. I thought that would be exciting for you. But apparently, at least some of you have dicks on your mind.

I was wrong. Carry on.
Down year for the big12. Nice try troll. #2 RPI conf. Potentially 2/3 of league playing in regionals. Good luck with calling this a down year.

iconoclast said:

I was wrong. Carry on.
The down year for the conference was in football numb nuts.

Ron Swanson

The tournament championship comes with an auto-bid to the national tourney

The regular season title does not

As far as bragging rights go, they're about equal

It's not really something that's up for debate

tcujsauce

Ron Swanson said:
The tournament championship comes with an auto-bid to the national tourney

The regular season title does not

As far as bragging rights go, they're about equal

It's not really something that's up for debate
So since the bragging rights are equal, I'll take the one that is packaged with an AQ trip into the postseason, hats and shirts, and a trophy.

froginmn

If we win the regular season race next year and lose in the tourney, THEN the regular season title will be important.

This thread got dumb in a hurry, especially with Taco being an idiot when an opposing fan offered congratulations.

Hemingway

froginmn said:
If we win the regular season race next year and lose in the tourney, THEN the regular season title will be important.

This thread got dumb in a hurry, especially with Taco being an idiot when an opposing fan offered congratulations.
I thought he was going by burrito now?

ftwfrog

Tom Brown's BIL said:
Yes it did.  

Which one of you already updated wikipedia? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Big_12_Conference_champions

You may notice Tech had four conference championships by the end of our second year in the conference. :smile:
Tech is awesome. I always tell people that I wished I had gotten into Tech so that I could have gone there instead of TCU. Guess I'll have to just pray one of my kids gets in.

OmniscienceFrog

iconoclast said:

I was wrong. Carry on.
hahahahahaha, down year?  of course!

TCUdirtbag

Deep Purple said:
And if the regular season championship is just as glorious, how come the postseason championship factors more largely into NCAA seeding?

This is debatable.  For example, UH has a Top-10 RPI and won the AAC Tournament.  The Committee picked Louisville to host a regional over Houston.  Louisville swept Houston earlier in the season. 

There are multiple factors here--including that Rice is already hosting one Houston regional.  Two regionals in one city is not unprecedented, though.  Several commentators noted that this was a sign that the committee still values the regular season over the post-season conference tournaments--Aaron Fitt of Baseball America tweeted something about this, as I recall.

That said/point made, addressing the main debate:  I think this argument over which is more important is kind of silly.  I think it depends.  If a low seed came in and won everyone would say "no big deal, the big boys are saving their arms for the NCAA."  You can even make a reasonable argument that OSU didn't try that hard yesterday.  In this situation though, which is actually unique, you had the top 2 seeds playing in the tournament championship game.  Only 1 game separated the regular season records.  They played before the 2-seed got on a turnaround hot streak of 27-3 in April and May, and they split the series (that the future 1-seed was hosting) 2-1.... one of those wins coming very late in a game.  The 2-seed had rocketed up the rankings and had higher RPI.  Both were guaranteed to host a Regional and a lot of analysts expected the winner to get a national seed. 

So, this Tournament was unique because you had the top 2 teams in the number 2 RPI conference playing for the first time in over two months.  In a lot of ways it was a chance for each to prove how far they'd come in April/May.