• The KillerFrogs

Awfully quiet on the DC front.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Near as I can tell the mix is Gillespie, DeRuyter and Schumann. There are a hell of a lot of moving parts rn. Whoever comes will likely be bringing in someone as well

Froggish

Don't know a ton about the candidates, but I did watch quite a bit of Tulsa football the last few years (my son's Alma mater)... they play very physical and I loved the size of the LB's and the Corners. They appeared to be much bigger than TCU's D.
Gillespie has called plays for 2 years. Turned around a terrible defense when he smartly installed the 3-3-5. That’s after spending 5 years as a LB coach in a 4-3. He lost 6 starters from his 2020 defense including 1 NFL 1st rounder and 3 others who transferred to P5s. He has good relationships throughout TX.

Schumann is a recruiter/position coach. He has little to no experience actually calling plays. Don’t get me wrong, he’s thought to a smart up in comer but nobody knows how he would do as a play caller. If you hire him you’re banking on him giving you a significant recruiting bump on the Def side. Is it worth the risk? Maybe..

DeRuyter is the X/O vet. He has a long record of solid defense. Aggressive attacking style that is capable of showing a lot of different looks. Generally based out of 3-4 but will mix it up a ton. It’s almost hard to pin him down. Has worked in TX but it’s been a decade ago and he’s not going to be the “hip guy” on the trail. We have more than a few of those types now..Maybe that isn’t necessary.

* X/O Rankings- 1. DeRuyter 2. Gillespie 3. Schumann

* Croot Rankings- 1.Schumann 2.Gillespie 3. DeRuyter

Wild card is still Doug Belk at Houston

No shot P5 options but would be the best fits for TCU is still IMO Zach Arnett or Ryan Walters

Salfrog

Tier 1
DeRuyter & Gillespie would be my #1& #2 right now. Schumann never calling a defense worries me. Plus if Schumann is successful, I feel he will be gone in 2-3 years. DeRuyter & Gillespie I feel would stay longer. JMHO

geefrogs

Does this mean our DE's will need to become LBers?

I'd think having 230-240 lb DEs in a 3 down lineman set would be less than optimal.

Big nose tackle helps. Physical corners will also be paramount.

Is it really a 3-3-5 defense?

Very helpful against spread offense of course, which is basically, everyone.

I dont know his style of 3-3-5, or it its 3-3-STACK but i hope it resembles some of those early West Virginia 2000's defenses that were really good under RichRod.