• The KillerFrogs

Austin American-Statesman: Gray getting ready to announce

JugbandFrog

Look, I hate UT as much as the next guy. But if I'm the best HS football player in the state of Texas and am set on a professional NFL career, UT starts as #1 on my most wanted list. Because it's UT, and it's been UT for decades.

As a TCU insider who knows a lot more about its history, ancient and recent, than you average 16-18 year old kid, I know there are many qualities that could make TCU a better choice for a player like Gray.

A lot of it will come down to how the kid makes decisions. His head will tell him UT--scouts will always, always, always be around--whether to look at him or someone else. He will without doubt get noticed, he will be part of a program with [Craig James]-tons of money, respect, and potential (even if it's not a B12 champ year). His heart will probably tell him TCU--the atmosphere, the chip-on-the-shoulder style, close to home, etc.

The kid can't make a bad choice--he'll excel at either school. We want him--bad, and UT thinks they need him. That's the difference. CGP doesn't need any one player--he didn't need J. Gray's knocking down his door to get to Fiesta or Rose. So even if Gray goes with UT, we didn't lose anything---CGP knows how to win with teams, not with players.
Texas is where Pro chances could possibly go to die. Look at the top running backs to head to Texas and where they wound up in recent history. Mack Brown is a horrible developer of talent and the NFL talent is enough to back that up. Players leave Texas very little ahead of where they were when they came in.

AEAfrog

"Next Friday should be a very good day for the Longhorns, as everyone I’ve spoken with feels like the Longhorns are the clear front-runner to land Johnathan Gray when he announces" --Geoff Ketchum

Part of me is starting to want Gray to sign with TCU just to make Ketchum look like an idiot (not that he doesn't usually). The way the UT side of this recruitment is reported you would think that Gray has no role in actually deciding where he wants to go. That would be enough to push me in another direction.

zfrawg

I think TCU is still very much in the running. If Gray goes to UT he'll be another super star on their team, but at TCU he can become the man, and a hometown hero. Both options have their appeal to the kid. Still keeping fingers crossed on the situation, but either way we will be fine.

froghorn4

I am constantly amused at the comments regarding Johnathan's ability to play as a freshman. I love the stable of running backs that GP has accumulated at TCU. However, JG is a freak. I have seen (in person) every game he has played at Aledo. Most people don't realize that he is one of the fastest HS kids in America. All he needs is a small crease and it's game over. He has NEVER been caught from behind. His potential FAR exceeds any RB that has stepped on the TCU campus in 50 years with the exception of LT. His patience with the ball belies his age. He sets up blocks as well as any RB I've seen. He's also a really smart kid and an exceptional student. Barring injury, he'd have a major impact pretty quickly. It took him a few weeks to make the transition in HS but was the starter before the regular season was over. He was only 10-20 yards shy of 1000 yards as a 14 year old. Again, I like the backs we have, but Gray is on a totally different level. There's a reason he's regarded as the 1st or 2nd best RB in the country and a 5-star recruit. He is special.

TCUFrogs

I am constantly amused at the comments regarding Johnathan's ability to play as a freshman. I love the stable of running backs that GP has accumulated at TCU. However, JG is a freak. I have seen (in person) every game he has played at Aledo. Most people don't realize that he is one of the fastest HS kids in America. All he needs is a small crease and it's game over. He has NEVER been caught from behind. His potential FAR exceeds any RB that has stepped on the TCU campus in 50 years with the exception of LT. His patience with the ball belies his age. He sets up blocks as well as any RB I've seen. He's also a really smart kid and an exceptional student. Barring injury, he'd have a major impact pretty quickly. It took him a few weeks to make the transition in HS but was the starter before the regular season was over. He was only 10-20 yards shy of 1000 yards as a 14 year old. Again, I like the backs we have, but Gray is on a totally different level. There's a reason he's regarded as the 1st or 2nd best RB in the country and a 5-star recruit. He is special.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, he is very special.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
am constantly amused at the comments regarding Johnathan's ability to play as a freshman. I love the stable of running backs that GP has accumulated at TCU. However, JG is a freak. I have seen (in person) every game he has played at Aledo. Most people don't realize that he is one of the fastest HS kids in America. All he needs is a small crease and it's game over. He has NEVER been caught from behind. His potential FAR exceeds any RB that has stepped on the TCU campus in 50 years with the exception of LT. His patience with the ball belies his age. He sets up blocks as well as any RB I've seen. He's also a really smart kid and an exceptional student. Barring injury, he'd have a major impact pretty quickly. It took him a few weeks to make the transition in HS but was the starter before the regular season was over. He was only 10-20 yards shy of 1000 yards as a 14 year old. Again, I like the backs we have, but Gray is on a totally different level. There's a reason he's regarded as the 1st or 2nd best RB in the country and a 5-star recruit. He is special.

Can I touch you?

Frogcrates

Don't worry men... Gray is going to be a frog. I know a guy who knows a guy who's totally on top of this.

inception-poster.jpg