• The KillerFrogs

Augie dies

froginaustin

hmmm...a man dies and yet the op feels the need to make fun of him one last time with a nickname

RIP. Damn good baseball man. I’ll have a glass of wine in his memory.

What makes anyone think the OP is the last time Augie will be referred to as “Soggy Burito”? I’d guess it’ll happen again.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
When I was a sports editor at The Skiff in 2002, I was trying to get some quotes about the building of Lupton Stadium and the potential impact of a new stadium for a program.

So me being 19 and ambitious, let’s ask Augie Garrido his feelings on the subject. I had just played at Disch-Falk in the state title game less than a year prior. I thought that was the Taj Mahal. So clearly Augie would have some good insight.

I left a message with their SID, not really expecting to hear back - but hey, worst they can say is no right?

Well less than two hours later, Augie called me back from the dugout during a practice. Keep in mind this is one of his title teams. I’m sure he had better things to do. I was just a college reporter, he definitely did not have to do that. But he talked with me for about 10 minutes. Thanked me for reaching out. Never forgot how nice a gesture that was by him.

I even found the horribly written article in a Google search:

http://www.skiff.tcu.edu/Spring_2002/032702/shines.html

Moose Stuff

Didn’t know Augie very well personally but I can’t find one person who played for him or coached with/against him that says anything other than what a great friend/mentor/coach he was. I’d consider myself a success in life if I had even a small fraction of the impact he had.

Moose Stuff

great story frog45, thanks for sharing. i know some people who found augie at the end of bit full of himself, but if anyone had earned their stripes it was augie. guy built the program at fullerton, went to illinois and posted the only back to back 40+ win seasons in the history of that program, back to fullerton and more success, and then to texas.

one of the things that bothers me the most about mensa is he hasn't don't [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] in the grand scheme of things and people fawn all over him. augie won and won a lot. another good reason for me to say scheiss mensa.

oh, and in regards to top's fake grass comments i might be mistaken but the disch had fake grass long before augie. he might have kept it, but the fake grass was cliff's doing

In regards to Coach Mensa.... I know several UT fans that don’t care for his act AT ALL.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
When I was a sports editor at The Skiff in 2002, I was trying to get some quotes about the building of Lupton Stadium and the potential impact of a new stadium for a program.

So me being 19 and ambitious, let’s ask Augie Garrido his feelings on the subject. I had just played at Disch-Falk in the state title game less than a year prior. I thought that was the Taj Mahal. So clearly Augie would have some good insight.

I left a message with their SID, not really expecting to hear back - but hey, worst they can say is no right?

Well less than two hours later, Augie called me back from the dugout during a practice. Keep in mind this is one of his title teams. I’m sure he had better things to do. I was just a college reporter, he definitely did not have to do that. But he talked with me for about 10 minutes. Thanked me for reaching out. Never forgot how nice a gesture that was by him.

I even found the horribly written article in a Google search:

http://www.skiff.tcu.edu/Spring_2002/032702/shines.html
Now we know your real name.