• The KillerFrogs

Assume the Big 12 Expands to 12

Purple Geezer

I think the best choices for the Big12 are still Louisville and West Virginia. But if you want to sub in BYU for WVU, that would work too.

Texas doesn't want a conference playoff. OU doesn't either, and OU also doesn't want West Virginia and Louisville. It WOULD take BYU and Boise State. This from a mole who thinks he knows things, but may not.

jadailyTCU

I'd almost say look for the Big 12 to do an ACC type of thing. Somewhat non-geographical divisions with cross-divisional protected partners (something that, as mentioned, the SEC also does, Big 10+2 too).

We'd be put in OU and Okie Lite's division, with Texas, Tech and Baylor in the other. UT-OU, Tech-Okie Lite and TCU-Baylor would be the pairs. Split either KU and Mizzou or KU and K-State but match them across the divisions. Iowa State gets the other Big 12 north team as a cross-division rivalry. And then do that with whatever your other two teams are, say Louisville and West Virginia.

I don't think it'd be ideal for us because it gives Texas and Tech a way to duck us many years, but whatever. I think it makes the most sense from a competitive balance standpoint.

Possible divisions:
West-East (for lack of a better name):
Baylor-TCU
Texas-OU
Tech-Okie Lite
KU-Mizzou
K State-Iowa State
Louisville-WVU

All that said, I bet they stick with 10 for a while longer.

Kaiser

Louisville & West Virginia are my top two choices. BYU third. Cincy fourth. After that, I'd probably prefer to be in a 9 team conference rather than add anyone else. Maybe Houston if they keep growing.

PONYLAW

The more and more I think about it the less likely I think it is that Cincy or WVU will leave the Big East. Sure the money is better in the Bevo 12 but is the few extra million (the big east will get a pretty good football deal and their BB deal is worth way more than the bevo 12) worth it to these teams to become pernial 6-8 win teams? I mean if I was WVU why would I trade being a conference powerhouse to be just another team in a conference dominated by OU and UT? This is a pretty agressive expansion push by the BE which i'm not sure they would bother with if their two most important FB memebrs were getting ready to bolt. Either way I think this gets flushed out pretty quickly if the BE votes to raise exit fees it's staying together, if not than the teams are still in play we will wait and see

Kaiser

I think UL & WVU would bolt if they had an offer from the ACC B10 B12 or SEC. I am not sure an offer is coming to any of them though.

I hope the BE stays together for your sake & I hope it builds itself back up stronger than ever as I have no Ill feelings towards the schools who gave us our first shot at AQ status.

That's also why I prefer expansion eastward if it comes to that. I like & respect the administrations in the BE. Whereas I never want to allow the Boise or BYU administrations to ever have a say or any control in a decision effecting TCU ever again.

The more and more I think about it the less likely I think it is that Cincy or WVU will leave the Big East. Sure the money is better in the Bevo 12 but is the few extra million (the big east will get a pretty good football deal and their BB deal is worth way more than the bevo 12) worth it to these teams to become pernial 6-8 win teams? I mean if I was WVU why would I trade being a conference powerhouse to be just another team in a conference dominated by OU and UT? This is a pretty agressive expansion push by the BE which i'm not sure they would bother with if their two most important FB memebrs were getting ready to bolt. Either way I think this gets flushed out pretty quickly if the BE votes to raise exit fees it's staying together, if not than the teams are still in play we will wait and see

MidlandFrog

The more and more I think about it the less likely I think it is that Cincy or WVU will leave the Big East. Sure the money is better in the Bevo 12 but is the few extra million (the big east will get a pretty good football deal and their BB deal is worth way more than the bevo 12) worth it to these teams to become pernial 6-8 win teams? I mean if I was WVU why would I trade being a conference powerhouse to be just another team in a conference dominated by OU and UT? This is a pretty agressive expansion push by the BE which i'm not sure they would bother with if their two most important FB memebrs were getting ready to bolt. Either way I think this gets flushed out pretty quickly if the BE votes to raise exit
fees it's staying together, if not than the teams are still in play we will wait and see

I think the Big East's move is one of complete desperation. I guarantee you Luck is on the phone trying to get WVU out. Even if they do vote to up the exit fees, it won't be stiff enough to keep UL or WVU from jumping. I still maintain this whole thing hinges on Mizzou. If they agree to go to the SEC east, I promise you that at least UL is gone and possibly WVU and/or Boise. I think AFA, Navy, and Boise are all in wait and see mode. The exit fees increase won't be enough in my opinion to keep the original BE schools. Don't forget ACC might grab UConn and Rutgers if they get restless again.

They fear the same thing TCU feared- that eventually more teams will be leaving. They've seen how unstable the hybrid is, and realize that eventually this thing is going to break. I think adding the 6 teams mentioned is an excellent short term band-aid, but it is not a viable long term model.

The Big 12 has its issues, but there are ways forward to keep it relatively intact. The motley crew the BE is trying to cobble together is simply not sustainable. One or two more defections and it will involute.

cdsfrog

Big 12 deal could easily be worth 20 million per team in a couple years. Right now the Big east would be lucky in get 10, especially with AQ status being threatened

Latest posts