• The KillerFrogs

Armed Forces Bowl

Pharm Frog

For those who are familiar with recent editions of this game, if I just arrived at the ticket booth on game day, would decent tickets still be available? If Son of Pharm gets back here in time, was thinking about taking him and Father of Pharm to that game. I don't think Father of Pharm has ever seen Army play in person and everyone should (and Navy and Air Force).

Chongo94

I went to the one where Cal was here and had a chance to go last year but passed due to other commitments. From what I remember lots of decent tickets were still available. That was with Air Force playing I believe so can't say if Army would increase or decrease the ticket crunch.

Pharm Frog

Thanks. Figured it might be a walk-up scenario which is good because I doubt I'll know for sure it I can get there until the day before. Also saw that the Alamo Bowl had tickets on StubHub for $25.

Pharm Frog

It will be the shortest game played in AGC all year

May remind me of the time when I got to be in the Astros dugout as a birthday gift. (Mother of Pharm had been a Sunday School teacher of one of the Astros). Nolan Ryan v Atlee Hammaker. Ryan threw a one-hitter and Hammaker threw a two (or three)-hitter. Was over in about 45 minutes. (exaggeration of course but it sure seemed like it).

Brog

May remind me of the time when I got to be in the Astros dugout as a birthday gift. (Mother of Pharm had been a Sunday School teacher of one of the Astros). Nolan Ryan v Atlee Hammaker. Ryan threw a one-hitter and Hammaker threw a two (or three)-hitter. Was over in about 45 minutes. (exaggeration of course but it sure seemed like it).

I've always wondered, is this the sort of thing some folk call a "humble brag"? Sounds like it might be.

Punter1

That must have been before Atlee met Fred Lynn...after that I don't think Atlee had a 1 2 3 inning...

With the exception of Donnie Moore...I don't think 1 home run ruined a good pitcher more then Atlee Hammacker.

ftwfrog

For those who are familiar with recent editions of this game, if I just arrived at the ticket booth on game day, would decent tickets still be available? If Son of Pharm gets back here in time, was thinking about taking him and Father of Pharm to that game. I don't think Father of Pharm has ever seen Army play in person and everyone should (and Navy and Air Force).

I went to the Cal/Air Force game. It was fun to watch Goff in his last collegiate game. But I’m not kidding, they weren’t even scanning tickets. Do not spend a lot on tickets if you actually buy them. Wait until the last minute and find a deal.

Pharm Frog

That must have been before Atlee met Fred Lynn...after that I don't think Atlee had a 1 2 3 inning...

With the exception of Donnie Moore...I don't think 1 home run ruined a good pitcher more then Atlee Hammacker.

Would you label Mitch Williams as a "good pitcher"?

Pharm Frog

Did not realize this game was up against the rotisserie of big school state championship games at Jerry's World. That's somewhat unfortunate. Wonder if this happens every year.

BABYFACE

Did not realize this game was up against the rotisserie of big school state championship games at Jerry's World. That's somewhat unfortunate. Wonder if this happens every year.
Nope, state would have been played this past weekend last year. Later start for 2017 season.

Purp

This is the best Ryan/Hammaker match-up I can find (and I really wanted to find a 1-hitter vs 3-hitter) and it looks like a great game.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=198706070HOU
I'm sure if had been in the dugout it would have been even better.
I may have been at that game. Played little league with a kid who's dad was 3rd base coach for the Giants. He took us to the Astrodome every summer for their series between 87 and 89. I still have autographed balls and pennants from the whole Giants team.